The Other Dude

XTR 960 Chainrings? Shimano or Truvative?

I am looking for a good deal on some Chainrings for my XTR 960 crank, i know shimano makes them, but at retail price, they are REALLY expensive, and i know Truvative now makes replacements that are more affordable. Where can i find a good price on either ones? Thanks!
    Sponsors: Specialized, Honey Stinger, The Hive, Twenty6, 661, Elka Suspension, www.Chainsmokeracing.net

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

mtbr member
    whatever you do, stay away from stamped/cast rings. Stick with forged rings. All the Truvativ's I've seen have been stamped.

mtbr member

Good job!

Have you, by any chance, tried them? If so how do they shift compared to the original 960 rings?
    I have one firm belief about the American political system, God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat P.J. O'Rourke

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Sorry, I haven't tried them. I just know about them because I recently picked up a clearance 960 crank - something I've not used in the past.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffS
    Sorry, I haven't tried them. I just know about them because I recently picked up a clearance 960 crank - something I've not used in the past.
    Oh well, I'm about ready to pull the trigger on some of them. Was looking for feed back. Thanks anyhow.
    I have one firm belief about the American political system, God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat P.J. O'Rourke

Giggitty giggitty!!
    I would not be too worried about shifting performance from the small to the middle, just from the middle to big and back down. Reason being is the big chainring is the most expensive and gets beat up more than the mid by rocks and such (depending on where you live and ride of course).

Personally I hardly use the small or big on my 960's, and really only use the big when I am riding from my place to the trail head on the road. So if ever I am going to replace the big it will be with either a bashguard or a cost-effective alternative to Shimano's.