Go faster!

XTR 2007 crankset

Any good deals on the shimano 2007 XTR crankset?

thanks

thecentralscrutinizer
    Checked Ebay??
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

BOSS TYCOON
    Oct 2006
    don't be cheap, support the people that are keeping the sport alive: bike shops

ups and downs
    Chain Reaction Cycles $377US less 10% winter sale discount plus free shipping right now.
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 02-24-2007 at 07:53 PM.

100% recycled
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb4life45
    Interesting post for the "Where are the best deals?" forum.

BOSS TYCOON
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by afie
    Interesting post for the "Where are the best deals?" forum.
    You can't just say "oh this is cheaper than that, its a better deal" without actually knowing what you're buying. If you go to a shop you get product expertise on what actually works. They have to work on all the expensive bikes/parts you buy online. I have worked at a bike shop and we all hate cheap losers (no offense) who buy their stuff online, break it, and then make us fix it. Who would you rather support: some internet umbrella or a bike shop where the guys show you cool riding spots, parts, and yes, they will probably even give you a discount. I understand we don't all have the most forgiving budgets, but you have to help the guys that are helping out the sport, not just your wallet.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Do we "make" you fix it? Or do we pay you to do it? I'll stick with a LBS if they give me reasonable prices, but MSRP less 10%? That's not going to cut it. I'm an American and as such I believe in the wonders of capitalism.

100% recycled
    You can't just say "oh this is cheaper than that, its a better deal" without actually knowing what you're buying. If you go to a shop you get product expertise on what actually works. They have to work on all the expensive bikes/parts you buy online. I have worked at a bike shop and we all hate cheap losers (no offense) who buy their stuff online, break it, and then make us fix it. Who would you rather support: some internet umbrella or a bike shop where the guys show you cool riding spots, parts, and yes, they will probably even give you a discount. I understand we don't all have the most forgiving budgets, but you have to help the guys that are helping out the sport, not just your wallet.
    The information is available in books and on sites like this to give people the knowledge to purchase the gear that they think is most suited to them. If they dont do enough research or cant fix their problems, they then go to you and get ripped off for repair. Buying online also eliminates LBS's selling people whatever they have in stock.
    If the LBS you work at is going out of business because you cant make retail sales or is mismanaged, then its probably for the best.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    i have been biking for almost 10 years and haven't been to a LBS in close to 9 years. Good riddance if you ask me. Nothing more than a bunch of dumb as wood, $10/hr making salespeople who think they know everything and will do anything to get you to buy something at their "hookup prices" which are more like rip offs. Its survival of the fittest, if they cant compete well thats just too bad. Unfortunately, there are way too many naive consumers who shop at these places year after year paying those high prices and keeping them alive.
    What did it for me was a trip to a LBS 9 years ago for some tubes. $4 a tube (back then $2 online) = i expected it. While there i also asked for a presta to schrader adapter. Guy says its $5. I laughed and said it was 50 cents online he sold it to me for $2.50 as a HUGE FAVOR. Get the F@$% outta here..

Go faster!
    Quote Originally Posted by newspeed
    i have been biking for almost 10 years and haven't been to a LBS in close to 9 years. Good riddance if you ask me. Nothing more than a bunch of dumb as wood, $10/hr making salespeople who think they know everything and will do anything to get you to buy something at their "hookup prices" which are more like rip offs. Its survival of the fittest, if they cant compete well thats just too bad. Unfortunately, there are way too many naive consumers who shop at these places year after year paying those high prices and keeping them alive.
    What did it for me was a trip to a LBS 9 years ago for some tubes. $4 a tube (back then $2 online) = i expected it. While there i also asked for a presta to schrader adapter. Guy says its $5. I laughed and said it was 50 cents online he sold it to me for $2.50 as a HUGE FAVOR. Get the F@$% outta here..
    Precisely the same thing here in Portugal. lol you made me laugh!
    I just want to save my small budget. If someone has the money to pay those capitalists go ahead feed them! There are HUGE price differences from LBS to online shops, so someone is keeping a lot of money…
    Back to XTR deal! Checked www.wiggle.co.uk and the crankset is 261€. Not bad, in LBS is 500€…

thecentralscrutinizer
    Excuse us!

I purchase what I can at the LBS. My Stumpjumper FSR bike and the Kona frame were both LBS purchases. As well, the wheels were built by the LBS. It's funny, they didn't mind using the parts I BROUGHT IN.

I worked in the LBS while in college, and some back during high school. If I want to purchase parts and work on my own bike, that's my business. The vast majority of the time I need or want a part, they have to order it anyway and the cost is higher than if I order it. Why should I have to pay a PREMIUM for doing something that I can do for myself? Where's the logic in that?

The LBS has the right of refusal to work on anything. Nobody is making you fix anything. But if fixing bikes is what you do for a living and you want to cut your own throat by not making repairs that come in the door, that's your business.

Why do you feel everyone should pay the exorbitant mark-ups sometimes associated with LBS purchases. Buy the way, I just purchased a set of M970 cranks on Ebay for less than $400 USD. The local shop will probably face the BB shell for me though.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

pagbilao quezon
    people are not rich, thats why WALMART , EBAY & AMAZON is invented
    FEAR IS YOUR ONLY GOD!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zackde
    people are not rich, thats why WALMART , EBAY & AMAZON is invented
    Exactly. Lbs is fine for bikes and the like since at closeout, they may be only off by competing brands online by say 50-100 dollars.

But when it comes to components, its a no brainer to buy online.

Especially tires.

My WTB Weirwolf Race 2.1 cost 9.99 each plus 3 dollar shipping via ebay, NEW.

They cost 39.99 in shop. Plus tax.

A rotor for my discs cost like 40 bucks, online its only 10-20 dollars.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I called my LBS to get a quote on a deus crankset, they don't carry much at the shop so they said they had to order it and it would be around $350, more that $100 for what i can get it online for.

Go faster!
    Thats corect. But stick to good online stores only, just an advise.

Deals on XTR crankset? Any more?

SuperInstigator
    Hey, I'm all for bike shops, and I bring my bike in even for repairs that I can do (if not so well) and insist on paying, even if they say no, but for some things, you just can't buy at a bike shop. It could mean a 1500$ build kit bought at a bike shop could be half as much online. As for me, I've never had 1000$ ever at any point, so I just gotta get the best deal. When I become a millionare ( ) I will buy everything from my bike shop that I need that possibly can. Most of my lbss don't even sell parts or few parts, just bikes, and in limited numbers, and do a hell of a repair job .
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

SuperInstigator
    Jackpot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sH!TMANO xTR m960 cRANKSET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fOR dIRT cHEAP!!!!!!!!
    http://www.icyclesusa.com/catalog/sh...0-crankset.htm

If you haven't already, bookmark Qbike. They are good for comparing prices from 28 different sites , including ebay!!! As was mentioned, check ebay and ebay stores too!

btw, I actually like Shimano, but I also like how if you just add one letter, it becomes much more. It is so obvious its sad.
    Last edited by tibug; 02-25-2007 at 12:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    FYI its cheap because

"The integrated bottom bracket and cup installation tool are sold separately"

just arms and rings only.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    it's also last year's crank - not the 07 m970.

SuperInstigator
    Can't believe I misses that. Still think it's a good deal. Thanks for the clarification!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    not the best deal. chk out jenson COMPLETE crank set for $299.00

seems like for the 2007 M970 Crankset ebay is the best deal. can be had for $420 shipped

POG
    Pudgy Old Guy
    May 2004

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by tibug
    Jackpot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sH!TMANO xTR m960 cRANKSET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fOR dIRT cHEAP!!!!!!!!
    http://www.icyclesusa.com/catalog/sh...0-crankset.htm

If you haven't already, bookmark Qbike. They are good for comparing prices from 28 different sites , including ebay!!! As was mentioned, check ebay and ebay stores too!

btw, I actually like Shimano, but I also like how if you just add one letter, it becomes much more. It is so obvious its sad.
    for posting the Qbike link.