mtbr member
    May 2009

www.wiggle.co.uk To Canada/US?

Hey guys

I came accross Wiggle and saw that they have great prices and free shipping to Canada if the order is over ~$250. Do any Canadians have experience with them? Our Canadian online options are limited and these guys have an incredible selection.. especially on Hope products.

I want to get a set of Hope hubs and brakes for a dream rig I am planning to build over the winter.

Edit.. What about Chain Reaction? They seem almost identical to Wiggle...

Any opinions?

Thanks.
    Last edited by tommyeflight89; 09-22-2009 at 09:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I do both all the time, shipped to Edmonton. The free shipping has led me to blow many, many orders of 250$.

Make sure you have your origin and currency set to Canada, so no VAT charges.

I have also used Merlincycles in the UK to get a silly deal on a set of Formula R1's (400$ CDN shipped).

Also check out probikekit, mainly road bikes, but some mountain stuff too. Free shipping on any amount purchased.

The only fee's I get are sometimes a 5$ handling fee from canadapost. Even that is hit and I find (over 20 orders).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I just did a large first-time order from ChainReactionCycles. Around $900 pooled with another friend. There were some hiccups, but we did receive our goods via Canada Post. They did an excellent job of packing as well.

For first-time orders, I was told that they could not process the order without separate proof of address such as an electric bill, etc. Had to be faxed to them. This took a few days as they were having line quality issues and I could not reach them. Customer support was completely non-responsive despite my numerous emails asking for an alternative solution. The order did finally get going once I was able to get a fax through to them.

I'm sure that my next order will go much smoother. Items were just as we ordered, in the right quantities. Individual items were well wrappped. The product descriptions on their website are a bit spotty though. Do your own research.

For an order of this size, I was expecting to be hit with taxes. True to form, we were charged GST + $8 handling fee. One thing that Canada Post did not screw up was PST. Bike parts are PST-free in BC, and we were not charged it. I have been charged PST in the past, although I applied and got it back.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    I ordered from wiggle and got some fees, around $100 on $400 worth of stuff ! Luckily, I finagled the customs people and got roughly $70 of it back. In Canada, you can expect to pay taxes ... from there, you might have duties if Wiggle puts the country of origin to anything that Canada puts duties on (so, you want NAFTA items if possible, I ordered Dainese armour ... Italy or Taiwan or something was on the duty forms).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ettore
    In Canada, you can expect to pay taxes ... from there, you might have duties
    I will look up the reference, but there should not be any duty on bike parts. Full bicyles and clothing yes, but not parts.

I find the GST is hit and miss with Canada post, as well as the handling fee. This is the trend that I have seen over at least 20 orders.

I'm not sure why you needed a proof of address.....were you using the paypal option? With the credit card it has always been a flawless transaction.

I agree though that their CS is so-so. Although they usually respond in a few days to e-mail, I prefer to call them.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Great responses so far.. Thanks for the advice.

I have done a fair amount of ordering from the states for other things and know the golden rule of never shipping UPS as they charge insane brokerage fees.

It is good to hear that CRC and Wiggle are good for Canadians. I am in Ontario so I will get taxed but I will still save tons of money. I want to see what a set of Hope brakes would cost from the local stores.

It is surprising to hear you need to fax a proof of address. I have never heard of that when ordering online.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by civil
    I will look up the reference, but there should not be any duty on bike parts. Full bicyles and clothing yes, but not parts.
    Yup, there should be no duty. (Never been charged duty through Canada Post.)

Quote Originally Posted by civil
    I'm not sure why you needed a proof of address.....were you using the paypal option? With the credit card it has always been a flawless transaction.
    No, credit card from a major bank. I was flabbergasted by this too.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Interesting, if what you said is true, that's nice (and it could very well be true, I have only ordered clothing).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

be careful.

be careful with wiggle.

friend ordered a BMC trail fox at 40% off RRP and on their site it was listing it had a XT group set.
    he emailed them to confirm the XT group set.
    when the bike arrived it only had SLX.
    they only offered him $20 credit and took along time to reply to his complaints.

Only after he contacted his credit card company did he get a decent response.
    they have now offered him credits to spend in their store but really it was alot of work to get them to this level of credit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Bike parts to Canada are duty free. Built wheels are 6.5% (maybe 6.1%). Built bikes are 13.5%. Frames are considered bike parts. There is duty on tires and its roughly 6%, but if packed with parts it will usually be duty free.

Remember to make sure the item is labeled bike parts. Use Canada Post. There will sometimes be a $5 handeling fee from the UK.

I had a small box arrive from CRC last year with some rear mechs. The box was labeled bike. They charged me 13.5%. The box was smaller than 1 foot square. Customs was great though. they refunded all the duty paid, It took 45 days though.