mtbr member
    Dec 2006

WTB: 5-6" travel frame

Loonking to build a new ride this winter. Looking for an all mtn frame. Intense 5.5, Heckler, Reign, Fat Possum, etc. Needs to be 19-21". I'm 6'2".

I'm aware of the Reign frame at Wheel World.Sweet deal. However, inability to accept a piggyback is no good. Also don't live in the area to pick one up. An 07 would be sweet though if I could find one.

Anyone know where to find similar frames...cheap??? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

tomac eli?

I have a large 2005 tomac eli frame in very good shape for $575.

sshick@ricochet.com

R.I.P. DogFriend
    My $0.02: As much as it would be nice to have a piggyback shock on the 05' Reign, it is IMHO, far from a deal breaker.

I have had a piggyback shock (Swinger 4-Way Air) on a single pivot bike and it was nice to have that adjustment available, but the ride of the 05 Reign (even with just a 3-Way Air) is far superior to my old bike.

That would still leave you with the dilemma of not being close enough to do the 'walk-in' purchase, but that's not to say you couldn't still score the deal as their policy reads:

"This manufacturer currently prohibits us from selling this item via Mail Order. We can only sell this item in our retail store. However, if you have a friend or a relative that can walk-in and make the purchase, we can ship it to where ever they ask. We are very sorry for the inconvenience but also want to remain loyal to our distributor’s wishes. Thank you for your understanding and please visit us soon!"

My son is 6'-2", maybe 6'-3" and rides the 21" Reign. I ride the same frame at 6'-5". It's a better fit for him than it is me, but it still fits me well. You might get away with a 20" on a Reign, but you should probably swing a leg over one to make sure.

They (WW) also have a Kona Coiler frame with a Fox Vanilla R coil shock for $449, but same deal on the 'walk-in' purchase.

Regards,
    Jeff

Deere Rider
    Just a word of caution on the Intense 5.5. I would suggest you do a search on the Intense forum as I remember running across a long-standing debate over the fact that the 5.5 acutually has less than 5" of travel--it was somewhere around 4.75" depending on who was measuring. The point is, it was nowhere near 5.5", if that matters. And I think these guys were even measuring actual wheelpath travel by tracings on a cardboard box.

Out of the ones you mentioned, I would go with the Reign. Stay away from a single pivot, if you can, and I don't like the idea of an "understroked" 5.5". I would really suggest calling as many Giant dealers as possible on a new Reign frame (they may even be able to get a closeout on an '06 frame if you're lucky). Keep working to find the lowest price available, it'll probably be a Mom & Pop store and may not be in your area, but they still might ship it to you. I found a small shop who got me an '06 Trance 1 frame for $750 shipped when all the big shops were wanting around $1000 plus shipping.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards the reign. I'd probably try the 20". But there aren't any in my area to get a feel for. Just need to fugure out where and how to get it with the whole shipping dilemna. Don't know anyone near Wheel World. Seems that the in store only thing applies to Giant dealers across the board...

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by Burrows
    Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards the reign. I'd probably try the 20". But there aren't any in my area to get a feel for. Just need to fugure out where and how to get it with the whole shipping dilemna. Don't know anyone near Wheel World. Seems that the in store only thing applies to Giant dealers across the board...
    there are no Reign frames left at Wheelworld if that is what you are thinking, only complete bikes (as of a few weeks ago anyway)

mtbr member

Intense 5.43?

Intense admited that the 5.5 was a few hundredths under 5 1/2" and the 5.5 just sounded better.
    If you're looking for a budget 5 or 6' bike Cambria has Mountaincycle frames for $5-600

ixi
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Burrows
    Loonking to build a new ride this winter. Looking for an all mtn frame. Intense 5.5, Heckler, Reign, Fat Possum, etc. Needs to be 19-21". I'm 6'2".

I'm aware of the Reign frame at Wheel World.Sweet deal. However, inability to accept a piggyback is no good. Also don't live in the area to pick one up. An 07 would be sweet though if I could find one.

Anyone know where to find similar frames...cheap??? Thanks.

Hey Burrows, I'm selling my large Intense 5.5. I just sent you a PM.

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    Step 1: Buy new Hollowpoint MKIII as a complete bike for $1100
    http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....1&category=108

Step 2: Sell parts you don't want

Step 3: Put on parts you do want

Make some music
    Sep 2004

Phone order..fyi

I tried to phone order a reign frame from wheel wld.... they said no can do...
    J.O.R.B.A. More than just tm. WWW.JORBA.ORG