mtbr member

Speedgoat

Speedgoat closeout
    Last edited by wrinklefree; 08-17-2006 at 04:27 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006

I thought it was a good deal too---so I ordered one!!!!!

I really wasn't even considering this bike. I had been torn between a Yeti 575 and SC Superlight, but saw the price and could not resist the urge to use my credit card. Hopefully, my order went through. I got an Order # from them, but went back on the site and saw the number available (2) had not changed. Now I am wondering how many more people had placed orders before me. I was perplexed as to what size to get (small vs. medium). Being a bit on the short side 5'9.5" w/ 30.5" inseam, the small frame looked like it would fit but went for the medium anyway----I may have to do some serious stretches. I am prepared to do whatever I need to do in order to fit on the bike. At least anything this side of a sex change

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If I were you, I would have gone for a Medium as well. I think you judged well. A small may have been too small.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Thanks for confirming!!!!

I was worried I had made a mistake with the Medium after comparing the top tube length to other medium frames. This will be my first suspension bike and don't really know a lot about bike builds, but the Motolite looks like a bike with a lot of happy owners. Any suggestions for a build kit and shock? I don't ride a lot of big hills here on the TX/LA border, but will be heading North and West in the future.

ಠ_ಠ
    Quote Originally Posted by EAST_TX
    Any suggestions for a build kit and shock?
    This build is one of the best bang/buck ratios I've seen. You could save even more money by getting a RockShox Revelation U-turn instead of the Talas.

Oh yea, and the medium is perfect for you.

Hope you get it!
    Last edited by dulyebr; 08-17-2006 at 08:57 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Thanks, Duly!!!!

I will keep you posted, although you may hear a loud cry of madman sounds ringing through the air before the post gets here if I do get the frame-----whatever madman sounds sound like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, do pick your build kit carefully. Call a guy who really know his stuff. I have my favorite guys who do well for me. The guys here know their stuff and build kits are easy to spec out. I don't generally go for complete build kits as such. I like picking out parts one by one or in small groups.

I ALWAYS go with handbuilt wheels (Mavic 819 or DT 4.1D with Hope hubs and DT spokes- solid wheelset)
    For the Moto, an adjustable fork like the Fox Talas or RS Revelation
    I like SRAM shifters and derailleurs
    I also like the high-end Race Face cranksets but I have little experience with others
    I go for durability and function over Bling and cool factor
    Cables- Avid Flak Jackets or the new Dry cables- these look amazing and are on their way.
    Seatpost/Stem- Thompson
    Handlebar- Race Face or Easton- whatever type
    Tires- I like Kendas and like Geax Barros even more though they are horrible to put on the first time- VERY tight fit.
    I think I covered most of it- I hope. I gotta get some sleep.

Forgot the brakes- Avid Mechs or Juicy
    Headset- CK.
    Some guys will price you out pretty well even if you don't pick a pre-selected build kit. Of course, it's easy to just pick a kit so how detailed are you? If you're like me, I analyze each component so it's tough for me to pick a real kit. Yeah, go simple- don't be like me. I'm way too much into picking each part.
    Last edited by Flyer; 08-17-2006 at 09:26 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Thanks for the help.

As long as it took me to purchase a frame (after looking at everything from what the kids ride through the neighborhood----not Titus MLs, to those waaaaaaaayyyyy out of my price range), it will probably take me a while to piece a build together. I will let everyone know what I come up with. Any other input from anyone else would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Any luck you guys? Mine will be shipping out today

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Nope - I was apparently 4th in line for the 2 mediums. Wish I'd seen it when you posted - that'll teach me to be out riding my bike!

I'm now second in line if by some chance they get any more frames in. I've followed up one lead (unsuccessfully) and am trying to get in touch with another now...

mtbr member
    May 2006

UPS Tracking Number in Hand

Looks like I was one of the fortunate ones to get in on the deal. You would have thought I had won the lottery or something. Hopefully, they will be able to round up a few more for the others who were not so lucky. Good luck guys!!!

breathing helium
    dulyebr,

Nice ride! How much is that bike? Who is selling it in that build?

enjoying the kool-aid
    Their site says they still have 1 large and 2 mediums?? is this true?

You'd think they'd update the site if they really were sold out.... maybe not.

mtbr member
    they are probably still scrounging up leftovers, might still be time...