Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Why I love Performance Bike

1. Unlike LBSs, the techs and sales people dont talk to me like Im from another planet

2. They recognize a majority of their customers work a 9-5 so they dont close shop at 5:50PM

3. They actually have decent prices esp if you pay the membership fee

4. They have convenient locations all over my area

Anyone else appreciate this store?

Sign Killa
    Yeah, I appreciate the fact that no matter how many times I unsubscribe from their goddamn mailing lists that they think it's fine to start sending me junk again. I also love how they killed supergo.

It's awesome how even polite requests to STOP SENDING ME JUNK are ignored, because really, their marketing morons do know best.

Did they send you a coupon to talk them up?

MTBR Member
    The only thing I like about the PB's I have been to, are the great deals on jerseys. In my experience, the only ones who actually know what they are talking about are the mechanics. Maybe that has to do with the fact that the PBs I go to are in college towns and it's just a job to most of the employees. Went in looking for a 32T chainring the last time I was there and the first guy I spoke with just had a dumbfounded look on his face - not very helpful.

They are good for cheap parts and that's about it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    No bribes here.. Just honest opinion about good prices there.

mtbr member

They would not sell you more than 1 or 2 on sale items using the membership.

(Edit: Multiple of the same item, not different items.)
    Last edited by ozvena; 09-14-2009 at 06:10 AM.
    What do I know, ask the "experts"!

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    I think it depends on the store. The close store to me is always busy with not enough employees.

The far store (close to the corporate HQ) has much friendlier and helpful employees. Could be due to the HQ in town, but who knows.

mtbr member
    Never had a problem with Performance, the staff seem to be knowledgable and you don't have to wait days to have anything fixed on your bike like some other shops. I will agree that the local Performance does seem to run short on staff at times but many of those times the store has been very busy and crap happens, that is going to happen in the business world.
    2013 SC Tallboy LTc
    2011 SC Tallboy C
    2010 Jackal
    2012 Heckler

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ozvena

They would not sell you more than 1 or 2 on sale items using the membership.
    BS. They do not limit purchases of sale item if you're a club member. A month ago I bought 3 bikes that were on clearance and got points for all of it. (road bike for me, road bike for my wife and a gt 29er for a friend).

How would they even know you're a member before checking out ? They only ask you at checkout so they can sell you a membership if you don't already have one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman
    The only thing I like about the PB's I have been to, are the great deals on jerseys. In my experience, the only ones who actually know what they are talking about are the mechanics. Maybe that has to do with the fact that the PBs I go to are in college towns and it's just a job to most of the employees. Went in looking for a 32T chainring the last time I was there and the first guy I spoke with just had a dumbfounded look on his face - not very helpful.

They are good for cheap parts and that's about it.
    What the flock more do you want than that? I don't give 2 craps whether they hang around shooting the **** with me about how great mouintain biking is - just give me a good deal on the **** I need and I'm out the door. No beers needed or wanted.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    ^ exactly. the bike shop doesnt have to be your local social networking spot. they sell me bike stuff, and thats all i want.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I bought a performance brand road wheelset two years ago. After many miles of hard use, the rear wheel was out of true and the rim was damaged. I took it in to the store and they gave me a brand new one with no hassle.

I also had a pair of neoprene booties that were about 4 years old. The stitching was ripped. They didn't have any in stock in my size and gave me store credit.

Where else can you get that kind of warranty and customer service?

mtbr member
    I like performance also. They have an excellent return policy and great prices. They're all over the place. I don't need servicing, so a good price on parts is good.

Its got what plants crave
    Meh, they email the hell out of me with "sales" that are usually just creative number manipulation that is suspiciously close to regular price. They don't have much in stock that I'm interested in either, mostly roadie gear. Also there was some MAJOR fraud there when some credit card information got stolen.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    BS. They do not limit purchases of sale item if you're a club member. A month ago I bought 3 bikes that were on clearance and got points for all of it. (road bike for me, road bike for my wife and a gt 29er for a friend).

How would they even know you're a member before checking out ? They only ask you at checkout so they can sell you a membership if you don't already have one.

They will not sell you multiple of the same item. Your purchase was different, 3 different items on sale.

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Why do they limit the sale of the same item? Is it to prevent reselling?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Ahhh. Ok, got it now.

mtbr member
    The way it was defined in their membership small print it seems they do not want you to buy for your friends and family members using only one membership (they called it a club purchase). This rule would also apply to resale of course.

low speed, high drag
    Jan 2008
    Can't stand them. Yes, I seem to be on a perma-mailing list as well. Their prices and selection really isn't that great, and I the mechanics at my LBS are cooler and charge marginally higher prices. I don't really need them for much anyway...
    Having said that, if they were hiring I would apply immediately.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    PB is great for the basics. Tubes. tires, lube, clothes, shoes and so on

Nothing for the hardcore racers, nor downHillers

The bikes PB carries are from basic to mid end, and they price match

LBS for specialty parts. although they are more expensive

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    The bike I bought ($440 Mongoose MTB) has broken twice since I bought it 3 weeks ago

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wu-wei
    Yeah, I appreciate the fact that no matter how many times I unsubscribe from their goddamn mailing lists that they think it's fine to start sending me junk again. I also love how they killed supergo.

It's awesome how even polite requests to STOP SENDING ME JUNK are ignored, because really, their marketing morons do know best.

Did they send you a coupon to talk them up?
    Lol I think all online stores do this.
    Last edited by gridtalker; 10-14-2009 at 11:21 AM.

ACS
    mtbr member
    Walmart is great too! Customer service and stocking things that I'd actually want to buy are overrated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The only problem I have with Performance is the Complete Savings card they give you after a purchase. The $10 off next purchase. I am still getting billed by that company for a membership I never wanted nor asked for. I will probably never order again from Performance because of this.

(he thinks he can)
    May 2009
    high prices and terrible mechanics at my local PB.. friend bought a bike and wasn't set up properly at all broke numerous times in a summer..besides some of the nice sales on clothes never gona buy stuff from PB, REI is much better IMHO..i live in MD by the way
    08 SS c'dale f4
    07 Prophet
    10 Yeti DJ
    Yeti Arc-x
    11 Yeti asr5-c
    ..and they place nice together!

eBiker
    I love how Performance will keep "reupping" you on their membership without asking for consent, to the tune of $25 every year...and there is no way to unsubscribe to this via their website.

Scamtastic!

P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast