Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Why I hate Performance Bike

1. Unlike LBSs, the techs and sales people talk to me in whatever way necessary to sell their China junk to me

2. They recognize a majority of their employees have families that they would like to spend time with in the evening, but don't give a damn and make them work late at minimum wage so that Mr. Performance Bike can buy new gold rims for his Mercedes and give the rest to the Republican party (google this if interested)

3. They actually have prices that are almost always much higher than Jenson, Pricepoint, and Ebay

4. They have locations all over the place, just like Walmart, and are really good at killing other businesses that pay their employees fair wages. They are also really good at supporting child labor and destroying the environment by getting all their house brand junk from China

5. Spam is on sale at Safeway

Anyone else appreciate Spam?

Disgruntled Peccary
    Only as musubi.

Really though, I do prefer buying from my LBS vs Performance, and yep Internet deals are cheaper.. but some things, like tubes.. are a more instant need and half the price for the same tube (literally, same maker even) than my LBS. It's harder to dodge, than say the W place.. which I don't even walk into.
    mike

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    There are pros and cons to PB. I bought my 1st real MTB from them after going to the LBS and getting sticker shock. My next bike will be from a LBS though.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by needcheap

2. They recognize a majority of their employees have families that they would like to spend time with in the evening, but don't give a damn and make them work late at minimum wage so that Mr. Performance Bike can buy new gold rims for his Mercedes and give the rest to the Republican party (google this if interested)
    Dude. Are you serious ? The hours are on the door. If somebody doesn't like it they can bail on their interview and get back in their car. No guns are being held to anyone's heads.

And here in my neck of the woods performance is one of the VERY FEW shops that offers medical insurance to the full time people. And the dinky hole in the wall shops that have 2 models of tires in stock and no mechanics over 18 are also open on sunday. So is that ok with you since they're locally owned by a guy that drives a subaru ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    About the only thing I agree with is #3, and there are not many bike stores that beat (or match) Jenson, Price Point or ebay.

Also #1 and #2 contradict each other. You basically are saying their techs and sales people are not good, so why do you think they don't deserve minimum wage? Also no one is making them work there, if they don't like the pay, hours etc. they are free to look elsewhere.

And I don't know what LBS you go to (or work at) but every LBS I go to has just as many clowns as Performance working there. And their prices are usually double what Performance's are.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    .. dont shop there then?

performance bike is the cheapest place to buy parts, as long as they actively stock them. if you cant get the cheapest price there, you're doing it wrong. they'll price match anything, even if its ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Alright, I hate to explain it, but my post was in response to "Why I love Performance Bike". Just wanted to bring in a different perspective. Don't get all worked up about it, have a cookie and get back on your Ironhorse bike!

Oh and yes, in a dream world, people can just say "no" to their boss when he asks them to stay until 8pm instead of 6pm.
    Keep buying from Performance, Walmart and the like, until China owns everything, nice job. Always low prices! Oh, where did my job go?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    lol, go to your locally owned small business and see whos making all the crap they sell.

you bought into the propganda, congradulations. now go tell all your friends how american you are for not shopping at walmart, while you purchase your chinese goods locally for 2x the price.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    One thing I have noticed is both Performance and Nashbar (owned by the same folks last I knew), are not as hot as they used to be...for closeouts and stuff. But you got to keep your eye on them though. They have been known to closeout some sock- knockers from time to time. Needcheap,...you know that's true homey. Chi bro-bro'll holla at you if he see sumpim. Feel me? (chek the best deals forum for my posts).
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    price match, no shipping.. if they stock it, its the best deal you can find. i dont know how they operate everywhere else, but locally they sell a lot of stuff thats not listed on the site, for silly almost unreasonable cheap prices.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    price match, no shipping.. if they stock it, its the best deal you can find. i dont know how they operate everywhere else, but locally they sell a lot of stuff thats not listed on the site, for silly almost unreasonable cheap prices.
    The one time I've been in a Performance store, they would only price match their own website. Just like Best Buy. Not really price matching as I understand it...
    I'm Confused . . . Wait a Minute, No I'm Not . . .

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderInTraining
    The one time I've been in a Performance store, they would only price match their own website. Just like Best Buy. Not really price matching as I understand it...
    It looks like you're both right. It seems like a PITA that they will not PM an item until you buy it. Normally they'd PM an item to GET you to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by PB Website
    90-Day Low Price Promise
    We will match any advertised price on the same item within 90-days of your purchase.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    When I first got back into MTB'ing a few months ago I checked out their website for some gear I needed. I decided to take a ride to my local PB location. I got there and the inventory sucked, prices were sky high (REI was 10-20% CHEAPER!) and the sales staff were rude.

mtbr member
    They have their purpose in the bike community. When a co-worker asks me for a bike suggestion under $400, Performance is one of the two places I recommend (after the obligatory "spend more $$" talk).

The thing I really despise of them is what they did to Supergo, and to an extent Nashbar.

Right now, about all I use them for is when I need something at 8PM the night before a big ride, and the occasional clearance bin find. Got a set of Sidi Doms for $95 and a giro atmos for $55.

Black Dragon
    Quote Originally Posted by grrrah
    They have their purpose in the bike community. When a co-worker asks me for a bike suggestion under $400, Performance is one of the two places I recommend (after the obligatory "spend more $$" talk).

The thing I really despise of them is what they did to Supergo, and to an extent Nashbar.

Right now, about all I use them for is when I need something at 8PM the night before a big ride, and the occasional clearance bin find. Got a set of Sidi Doms for $95 and a giro atmos for $55.

I agree with grrrah. Although I really don't love PB, I'm glad there in my neighborhood for an occasional last minute/needed/cheap part.

OP: The "China Junk" of which you speak can be found just as much at your LBS as at PB. And I'm sure that the majority of us are riding a "China Junk" made bike when we hit the trails.

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderInTraining
    That was not my experience; I told them "do you PM? go to this web site and check the price" and they matched it no questions asked about 150$ off a fork by that time
    You just have to ask nicely

MTB Newbie
    Apr 2009
    I'll bet people would be surprised at how much stuff they buy in general that isn't American made. I'd say around 90-95% is likely imported form somewhere or another. There's very few stuff that's actually made in the USA these days, it just costs too much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    That was not my experience; I told them "do you PM? go to this web site and check the price" and they matched it no questions asked about 150$ off a fork by that time
    You just have to ask nicely
    yeah, pretty much! the guys who work there tend to not really give a crap.. if that means marking something off 75% they will, as long as you can prove someone else sells it for that price.. sometimes you dont even have to prove it.

Don't ride a Trek anymore
    Sep 2008
    at my local Performance, I have had nothing but good luck. The sales people have all been knowledgeable and helpful. They are great about price matching, and often do minor repairs/adjustments for free. Just go in there, be friendly, and they should do the same for you. Sure they arent a small LBS, and sure they do sell some chinese crap, but If they have what you need, they are a great place to shop.

adult onset ADHD
    Quote Originally Posted by needcheap

oying the environment by getting all their house brand junk from China
    even if you deliver Newspapers, you have to get there when they tell you to be there, not when you want to be there,
    Respect your local Woodland Spirits

WNY Mountain Biking Assoc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Wow.. you must have serious problems with PB

1. Park tools, Giro, Shimano, etc. Plus some of us can't always afford the expensive stuff...

2. Im pretty sure no one is pointing a gun to make employees work late there

3. Regular prices are indeed higher compared to online retailers. But catch a good sale and rebate offers, heck they might be cheaper than online retailers. And you can buy and try it on the spot!

4. Oh geez.. not the evil Walmart and China argument... I'm not even going to respond to this.

5. I love SPAM! :-)

Not saying PB is the place on earth but you can't say they are the worst either. I actually appreciate the store. They same way I appreciate Walmart.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

A little OT

I think the whole china and wal mart thing is really interesting. I don't like that so much manufacturing (and jobs along with it) are being outsourced to China, but what are you going to do?

I was watching an interesting program on the discovery channel awhile back called "The People's Republic of Capitalism." One portion of the show featured the shutdown of a plant (in AK or MO, I think) because most of the jobs were moving to China. Of course the workers were very upset with the company and criticized them as being un-American. However, when the workers were asked "Where do you shop?" They all answered "Wal Mart." We demand low prices on items, but also demand that companies stop outsourcing jobs. Very interesting stuff.

What do you guys think?

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by poontank
    What do you guys think?
    I think that capitalism, by its very nature, eats its own.

I also think PB sucks because they charge sales tax here because they operate a call center somewhere in the state.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    You never know what kind of closeouts you're gonna find at perfomance or nashbar. They are the"dollar store" of the bike industry. Just call the toll free number to get the rules about price matching. ...Sometimes.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by poontank
    I think the whole china and wal mart thing is really interesting. I don't like that so much manufacturing (and jobs along with it) are being outsourced to China, but what are you going to do?
    you know the best way not to lose your job at the factory?

go to college and dont work in a crappy factory to begin with

plus you have to remember that chinese goods dont magically appear here, or get dropped off and stocked on the shelves by the chinese. they make it, they ship it. an american company handles it incoming, another american company distributes it, another american company receives it and sends it to walmart.. which is managed by american workers who dictate the marketing, implementation and design, stocking and labeling to another group of american workers.. to be used in a store front built by an american contruction company, and that store pays taxes, federally and locally.

why do people glaze over that? theres a lot of parts of importing chinese goods that CANT be imported. tons of americans make a living off importing chinese goods. the product is probably 1/10th the money exchanged in a retail situation.. walmart is the largest employer of americans in the country.. whats that say about "losing" jobs to outsourcing?

the industry is changing. jobs arent being lost, they're being changed. no you cant work in a crappy factory anymore, but theres a ton of other positions that just opened up to fill those spaces.

everyone should stop and think "can my job be done by someone in china/india just as easily with no downside?". if the answer is yes, you need to change industries before you're the guy on the news ranting about losing his job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast