Paste eater

why the $$$$ difference on these XT Cranks?

FIrst off what's the difference here (besides a whole lot of $$$) in these XT

and these

Tracking up the place
    Not much other than one price is in pounds(UK) and the other in (US) dollars... and different chain rings sizes....
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroow
    Not much other than one price is in pounds(UK) and the other in (US) dollars... and different chain rings sizes....

I'm getting "191.47 USD " from chain reaction and "271.99" at BB. Chain reaction aslo has another XT crankset with smaller rings here for "159.56 USD"

IS there a difference between "PC - M760" XT cranks and "M760" XT cranks?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    I'm getting "191.47 USD " from chain reaction and "271.99" at BB. Chain reaction aslo has another XT crankset with smaller rings here for "159.56 USD"

IS there a difference between "PC - M760" XT cranks and "M760" XT cranks?
    I have read reports that some of the cranksets from Chainreaction are OEM take-offs. No manuals/ instructions or packaging and may show some use.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I have read reports that some of the cranksets from Chainreaction are OEM take-offs. No manuals/ instructions or packaging and may show some use.
    hmmm, I'm fine with OEM and no man/inst. One would think they would say if they were actually used

Probably drunk right now
    hmmm, I'm fine with OEM and no man/inst. One would think they would say if they were actually used
    Then buy the cranks, pay the shipping, enjoy the long lead times from England and install them on your bike. I'm not sure what you're looking for from us?

The price is about $100 USD less from CR than BB. From the website's you've given us, that's the difference.

The new XT cranks are great. You'll likely love them.

Ken

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    Then buy the cranks, pay the shipping, enjoy the long lead times from England and install them on your bike. I'm not sure what you're looking for from us?

The price is about $100 USD less from CR than BB. From the website's you've given us, that's the difference.

The new XT cranks are great. You'll likely love them.

Ken
    Hey now, ease up huh? Just wanted to be 100% sure before ordering something from over seas. One can't help to be suspect when finding something listed on the web deeply discounted...

mtbr member
    I ordered these same XT cranks from chainreaction a couple months ago. Was sorta skeptical too, but it worked out ok. Cranks came in a bag, w/ the instructions...no box.

Shipping was fast too.

Adobo Lover
    XT cranks are sold for 270 normally. Some shops are trying to close them out. I bought mine stateside for 180 at speedgoat(sorry no more left other than 165s).
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

banned
    Hey now, ease up huh? Just wanted to be 100% sure before ordering something from over seas. One can't help to be suspect when finding something listed on the web deeply discounted...
    Don't worry about him. He has to live in Kansas City.

ballbuster

I just picked up a set...

... with regular mountain rings (22.32.44) in Berlin at some huge warehouse bike store. I picked them up for 140 Euros ($176). They also had a good selection of FSA Carbon Road cranks for even cheaper. I nearly bought a set for my road bike.

There was no packaging, only the parts and a manual rubber banded around the crank arm.

My guess is that they were OEM cranks on bikes that were never built. There were no marks from pedals, and the original factory anti-sieze was on the BB threads. I'll bet these are from the same supply, but who knows.

Now, if the airline finds my luggage, I'm going to put them on my race hardtail.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 10-22-2006 at 10:28 AM.

ballbuster

Iirc...

JRM got his in a week. Not any longer than slow boat UPS.

Warranty may be an issue, tho. Not that anything every goes wrong with them, other than bearings getting cruddy, which isn't covered anyway.

Second issue is the weird ring sizes. These cranks were probably slated for city bikes or something. Check around the site, tho. IIRC, they were selling ones with regular rings for not much more, and shipping for free. At least they used to have that deal.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 10-22-2006 at 10:23 AM.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    They are OEM, but not take offs, several european stores sell OEM products SEALED, I supposed one could get an open bag, but it is to hard to generalize. You do save a lot of money without the fancy packaging, especially on Shimano stuff...

I did get the "manual" (more like a instruction leaflet) with all the Shimano OEM stuff I have bought.

Tá mé ar meisce.
    As stated in the other thread my CRC experience was very good. I ordered about 2 weeks ago the xt cranks for $193 after shipping and bank fees. I then got my cranks 4 shipping days later (to florida). It was retail packaged with all instructions and parts. It was also brand new -- unused.

It just seems shimano is cheaper in England for some reason. IIRC probikekit also has very good shimano prices (roadie stuff).
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Shimano is even cheaper here in Germany, but most German shops don't take credit cards and/or ship internationally.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I had a great experience with CRC. Bought 2 XT cranks and a few other parts ... free shipping. The cranks were brand new in special cardboard packaging, not quite a box. Shimano has all the manuals online. Shipping time was 5 days to NC, USA.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Got a set from chain reaction last summer, regular rings, new packaged in original box, with all manuals.. around $193 total.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Got set 22.32.44 175mm from CR month ago. Went with DHL for shipping got cranks in 3 days. (Ordered monday, got them on Thursday). Total with shipping $195. Full retail package.

The catch was however is Custom Duties I got from DHL 2 weeks after, they paid 10%. I ordered some parts overseas before (delivered through USPS) and no duities all the time, so I guess it's DHL thing.
    Gravity Dropper - simply kicks @$$
    Casco Viper MX - trully jaw dropping experience.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Duty/customs

Did anyone have to pay duty or customs charges on their ChainReaction order?

Tá mé ar meisce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com
    Did anyone have to pay duty or customs charges on their ChainReaction order?
    not me
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

MONKEYMAN
    I ordered mine from CR and they came sealed in the box in their little plastic baggies a appeared to be brand spankin' new -manuals & spacers sealed in their pouches. shipped faster from UK than I've gotten from performance.

+1 for great deal, would buy from this seller again.
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”