T.W.O.

who has the cheapest The Park Tools CRP-1 Crown Race Puller Tool

I'm looking for the The Park Tools CRP-1 Crown Race Puller Tool. I bought the Nashbar one for $20 well it eats part of my crown a bit and it's not really user friendly either. So now I'm looking for the park tool one.
    Thanks

MTBR Member
    A couple on Ebay going for $125 w/ free shipping. Jenson has them for $119.

rider
    Is this any better than the Nashbar?:

https://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd....E+REMOVER+TOOL

I too have been looking. I'd prefer the Park but it's pricey. Best price I've found is Fleabay with the free shipping.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]

I have the Nashbar race puller

Quote Originally Posted by Swami Scott
    Is this any better than the Nashbar?:

https://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd....E+REMOVER+TOOL

I too have been looking. I'd prefer the Park but it's pricey. Best price I've found is Fleabay with the free shipping.
    The Nashbar tool has worked well for me with no damage to the steerer or crown race but it's a pain to adjust with all the moving parts and the quality of the materials is pretty poor.

I read a good review somewhere (Mountain Bike Action?) on the Ice Toolz remover and it really looks like a better implementation of the same concept. If I had to buy one again I would probably go with Ice Toolz.

That being said, the one at Nashbar is only $20 versus $35 for Ice Toolz and either will get the job done so you just need to decide if the extra $15 is worth it to you.
    Last edited by MondoRides; 09-29-2009 at 01:45 PM.

g3h6o3
    Park's version is a ripoff. I mostly buy park tools but their cutting tools and this crown race puller is prohibitively expensive. Ice toolz look like great alternatives, but no hands on experience on my side...
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MondoRides View Post
    I read a good review somewhere (Mountain Bike Action?) on the Ice Toolz remover and it really looks like a better implementation of the same concept. If I had to buy one again I would probably go with Ice Toolz.
    Here is that review... Ice Toolz looks like better quality than the nashbar or harbour freight (judging by pictures only)

Toolbox: Ice toolz 'Exprt' Crown Race Puller | The Straight Dirt | MountainBike.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I use a scrap of wood flooring and a hammer. Works every time. Doesn't hurt the metal parts a bit.

Its got what plants crave
    125 dollars for a race puller? Fawk. You can buy a lot of crown races for that. Anybody got any advice on the Harbor Freight alternative?
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

T.W.O.
    Yep, they are not cheap but I've tried a few others, Park tool is the least painful, and quickest tool too get the job done. I swap enough crown races to justify a less painfull process

Just hit it with speed
    Use a razor blade and hammer, gently tap on the razor blade around and under the race in a circle.
    Once it has lifted to the width of the razor use a cheap knife and gently twist after tapping it all the way in.
    Take your time and you won't leave any marks.

I've done this approximately 10 times with great success.
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

bog
    mtbr member
    To prevent scratches to the crown always put two layers of electrical tape on the crown where any tool will touch it. Works like a charm!
    SC Tallboy C : SC Nomad 3 : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL

bog
    mtbr member
    Oh ya, Treefortbikes Bikes is great for Park tools. Great service from them too.

Is dang happy!

+1

Quote Originally Posted by GFisher2001 View Post
    Use a razor blade and hammer, gently tap on the razor blade around and under the race in a circle.
    Once it has lifted to the width of the razor use a cheap knife and gently twist after tapping it all the way in.
    Take your time and you won't leave any marks.

I've done this approximately 10 times with great success.
    I have used a chisel or flat head screwdriver for years with no problems. Most shops I have wrenched at don't even have them.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom View Post
    I have used a chisel or flat head screwdriver for years with no problems. Most shops I have wrenched at don't even have them.
    The razor blade method won't leave any marks on the fork crown though. I've been doing it for years. I use a little tack hammer so I don't drive the blade into the steerer. It also works a little better if you use a heavy duty utility knife blade. They're thicker so they lift the race off the crown a little further.

bog
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom View Post

Yikes dude, no shop should be without a proper crown race puller!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Univ.../dp/B003J7GU9Q

I don't see any issue using make shift methods if its your fork and don't worry if it gets some cosmetic damage. If you are working on a customers product and bugger up the crown a new CSU is a lot more than the proper tool.

Uncle
    I went to two reputable LBSs, and neither had a proper puller: one used a mallet & a chisel, the other a hammer and a tile knife. In both cases, some minor cosmetic damage was done. Went to a third LBS, and they said "sure, we can do that" and reached for a chisel. I said "no thanks" and brought my fork home, and ordered the Park tool. It's expensive, but it works well. I don't plan on buying a second one, so I'm okay with it.

In their defense, they have a proper bench vise as well, which helps them secure the fork while the crown is being pried off. I don't have a good surface with which to mount a vise, but I can put the Park tool in my work stand and all is good. I no longer worry about which crown race came on a fork, and that's nice.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    I went to two reputable LBSs, and neither had a proper puller: one used a mallet & a chisel, the other a hammer and a tile knife. In both cases, some minor cosmetic damage was done. Went to a third LBS, and they said "sure, we can do that" and reached for a chisel. I said "no thanks" and brought my fork home, and ordered the Park tool. It's expensive, but it works well. I don't plan on buying a second one, so I'm okay with it.

In their defense, they have a proper bench vise as well, which helps them secure the fork while the crown is being pried off. I don't have a good surface with which to mount a vise, but I can put the Park tool in my work stand and all is good. I no longer worry about which crown race came on a fork, and that's nice.
    I've never been to any lbs that don't have some form of tool to pull the race, if I want to have my components nicked I could have done it myself. It's not a bad investment. I could not imagine any shop without one. It's $120 for consumer may sound like a lot for a few time use, but for the shop it's such a small investment and it virtully eliminate the liability.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    even with a proper CRP, it has been my experience that gaining a purchase point on the crown race is sometimes required, due to the race profile or the fork crown itself. I usually use the razor blade, then a small metal putty knife before moving on to the CRP.
    Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.