get down!

where to find Magura Marta's bigger than 160mm?

can't find these anywhere, who's got the best price?

thanks!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

ballbuster

Do they make big Martas?

Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed

thanks!
    Marta is their weight weenie brake. A big rotor would defeat the whole concept, cause it would add mad weight. For Marta to accept a bigger rotor, it would need to be a different forging of the front caliper, since Marta uses no adaptor. Adaptors add weight too.

I would guess that if you want bigger, then you're looking at 180mm Louise, eh?

OTOH, I could be wrong.

get down!
    yeah they make bigger ones

i'm pretty sure

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Martas only come with 160mm rotors

But there is a way around this as charles (from hammerhead) runs a martas with a 180mm rotor in the front by using a rear caliper in the front as well.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

yep...

martas only come inthe 160mm size. but...use a rear caliper up front and you'll be able to run a 180mm rotor. or you can use a adapter, like a hope hbis20 or the a2z adapter.

conversely, use a 160mm forged front caliper in the rear and you'll se able to use a 140mm rotor.

i had my 03 xtr disc calipers warrantied by shimano a couple of months ago. i bought a 180mm magura julie rotor and a a2z adapter so i could go 180mm up front...a shimano
    bonehead accidentally shipped me two rear calipers so i am runnning a 180mm up front, no adapter required. man...the 180mm up front is pretty damn powerful (abit more powerful than the 180mm mono mini i have on another bike).

i would suggest this route if you can since you see front or rear xtr calipers with no hardware being sold on ebay all the time for as low as $50 or so.

cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by etal
    But there is a way around this as charles (from hammerhead) runs a martas with a 180mm rotor in the front by using a rear caliper in the front as well.

Do It Yourself

thanks!
    Ditto on the above, they don't make them per se but you can use a rear caliper in the front or use the 74mm Post Mount caliper with an adapter which gives you a lot more options. This does add weight though. You might try the Louise FR which comes standard with 180 front and 160 rear. It's not that much heavier but beefier and much less expensive than Marta.
    Long Live Long Rides

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    martas only come inthe 160mm size. but...use a rear caliper up front and you'll be able to run a 180mm rotor. or you can use a adapter, like a hope hbis20 or the a2z adapter.

conversely, use a 160mm forged front caliper in the rear and you'll se able to use a 140mm rotor.

i had my 03 xtr disc calipers warrantied by shimano a couple of months ago. i bought a 180mm magura julie rotor and a a2z adapter so i could go 180mm up front...a shimano
    bonehead accidentally shipped me two rear calipers so i am runnning a 180mm up front, no adapter required. man...the 180mm up front is pretty damn powerful (abit more powerful than the 180mm mono mini i have on another bike).

i would suggest this route if you can since you see front or rear xtr calipers with no hardware being sold on ebay all the time for as low as $50 or so.

cheers!
    can I run a rear 180 too or would I need an adapter for that? where would I get such an adapter? thanks!

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

a2z...

a2z components makes an adapter to let you go from 160 to 180mm. i am pretty sure it'd work in the rear, but i think thats abit too much power, especially since the rear wheels lock up fairly easy. it bolts on to your caliper, then your disc mount. do a google search. i think pricepoint sells them for like $15 or so. you'll also havee to find a 180mm rotor, a magura julie/louise rotor would work perfectly if you run a marta system.

the adapter has a slot at the bottom mount, so i think you can swivel the caliper to run a 185...if you wnat wavy rotors, you can get a nice of galfer 185 rotors. it seems like people make more 185mm rotors, then 180mm. if you're looking for martas, check out ebay.

hope this all makes sense.

can I run a rear 180 too or would I need an adapter for that? where would I get such an adapter? thanks!

Do It Yourself
    You don't really want the Martas. Seriously, if you want 180mm rotors then you should be looking at Louise. Marta is the svelt XC weight weenie brake. Louise is more all-purpose with less fade.

http://www.magura.com/english/bremsen/04_louise_fr.htm

http://www.magurausa.com/mountainbik.../louisefr.html
    Long Live Long Rides