No Clue Crew

Where do you get your PowerBar, Gels, Gus... whatever?

I usually try to wait until my local REI or grocery store has 'em on sale for $1 each and buy a boatload of them. That's not very often, though.

Where's a good place to buy them cheap?

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    If you have a trader joes near by, power bar & cliff/luna are always a dollar. Costco is usually even cheaper than that but you have to buy the bad flavors with the good and I don't think I've ever seen gel there. Target is cheap too (they're in the pharmacy section @ mine), but has a limited selection of stuff, although they have my favorite zone perfect for cheap. Also amazon is not bad if you do subscribe & save to get free shipping and knock 15% off.

g3h6o3
    For bars, I buy Sun-Rype fruit bars from Costco, at around 60 cents each, they can't be beat and I find them better than any energy bar out there for ease of swallowing, calories and taste.

Gels are always a problem, those things are way too expensive... No hints from me in that regards.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

bikeboatbrewski
    +1 Costco

No Clue Crew
    I'll have to check Costco again then. Everytime I've looked it seems they have the cases of "flavor tasters" with 4 or 5 flavors, and, as was pointed out, I usually only like ONE of the flavors. I'll look for the Sun-Rype bars. Never heard of them but for 60 I'll give it a shot.

We've got several Trader Joes around. I'll check there as well. I can stomach $1 each, full price of nearly $2 is ridiculous.

I'm not in love with the Gel/Gu type product but I figured if someone has a good price on PowerBars they probably have a similar discount on PowerGel.

I'm your density
    I know this thread is more about deals on pre-packaged products, but since I've been contemplating making my own gels:

Homemade Gu/Gel Recipes Anyone?

No Clue Crew
    Unfortunately that thread is 6 years old and the article at dirtrag was not found

I'm your density
    Maybe this was the Dirtrag article:

http://www.dirtragmag.com/web/articl...egory=web_only

If you Google search "DIY energy gels" you get a lot of good hits (like that one). Other recipes use brown rice syrup.

Also, Smart & Final usually has bars on sale at a good price, but I'm not impressed
    with their selection.
    Last edited by random walk; 07-29-2010 at 10:56 AM.

No Clue Crew
    "Google"? What's that?

Sometimes the easiest answer is too easy...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    i usually just pocket whatever, but i have a hook up from supplement guy. but you can buy stuff in bulk from online supplement stores and get good deals.

Give it a crank
    I've settled for just one flavor of Fruit Smoothie PowerBar and that's all take on the trail now. They're often on sale for $1 each at Fry's.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider
    I've settled for just one flavor of Fruit Smoothie PowerBar and that's all take on the trail now. They're often on sale for $1 each at Fry's.
    That's when and where I usually get them...

29 some of the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    I usually try to wait until my local REI or grocery store has 'em on sale for $1 each and buy a boatload of them. That's not very often, though.

Where's a good place to buy them cheap?
    Nope, usually the best price on gu gels or gummy treats are at my local grocery (kroger, publix) in the organic/health food section. I have heard Target also stocks some of the powerbar stuff for ~$1.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Academy Sports & Outdoors regularly carries all flavors of Gu in 6 pack boxes for $5.69. That's less than a dollar each. They also have all flavors of Honey Stinger bars buy one get one free. They normally cost $1.19 each so now get two for that price. I loaded up!

H.E.B. grocery store regularly sells all flavors of Cliff Bars in 6 pack boxes for $5.89. They also have 12 pack multi-flavor boxes for around $11.00.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    REI does a rotating sale of gels for 72 cents each. I just got some honey stingers and I liked them.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    REI, at their brick 'n' mortar location. They always have a bar & gel brand of the week, and they're pretty cheap. This way, you don't get sick of the same gels/bars each ride.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    I'll look for the Sun-Rype bars. Never heard of them but for 60 I'll give it a shot.
    This is what you're looking for, in a 25 bar box (they we're 25 lately but used to be 30).
    http://www.sunrype.ca/viewproduct.php?line=9&group=0
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.