mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Where are the 26 in. hard tail steals?

I have the parts laying around and figured with the 26in hard tail going the way of the dodo I might try to get a nice frame on the cheap. Something cool and in steel maybe? The Salsa Ala Carte is headed for extinction in 2012 but is still listing at retail online. I'm thinking something along those lines. Where are the steals?
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    have you not considered looking on ebay ?!
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sure, ebay. I guess I am asking which frames people are still seeing in circulation more than where to buy. But yeah I am aware of ebay.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm riding a steel SOMA 4one5, the single speed only predecessor to the Analog. Check them out at soma fabrications.

Nice riding frame for not too much money. Rode it today and got some good compliments on the trail.

Life on a Sandbar
    I'm not aware the 26 incher is going anywhere anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The 26 inch hard tails from the big makes are not really in the catalogs this year. Like I said, even Salsa has apparently scrapped the Ala Carte. A lot of the chi chi aftermarket forks for 26 inch bikes are getting some steep (for bike land) discounts.

Life on a Sandbar
    Seems I've been looking at Cannondale and Trek bike catalogs which do feature 26" hardtails. All the Italian, Spanish, British, and even Russian brands still feature/offer 26" hardtails.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Look at On-One bikes. They have quite a few 26" steal hardtails - inbred, 454 and summer season depending on what kind of geometry you're looking for - and all are relatively cheap...

And as the others have said, there are tons of 26" hardtails still being made as well as new ones added to existing lines regularly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantB View Post
    The 26 inch hard tails from the big makes are not really in the catalogs this year. Like I said, even Salsa has apparently scrapped the Ala Carte. A lot of the chi chi aftermarket forks for 26 inch bikes are getting some steep (for bike land) discounts.
    That's weird because every time I look on chainlove all I see are 29er forks and wheels on huge discounts and a few 26 wheels. Most likely the inventory of 26 hardtails have almost sold out while the 29er market was over saturated compared to the actual demand.

Birdman aka JMJ
    Quote Originally Posted by rockafella View Post
    I'm riding a steel SOMA 4one5, the single speed only predecessor to the Analog. Check them out at soma fabrications.

Nice riding frame for not too much money. Rode it today and got some good compliments on the trail.
    Ditto - Track down a Soma Groove - very nice steel frame. The 4one5 is the SS version of the Groove.

JMJ

mtbr member
    Another rec for On-One.

My girlfriend and I moved from Santa Cruz's (her: Chameleon, me: Blur LT1) to One-One Inbreds and are totally stoked about them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    How bout you guys curb your 26 vs 29 arguments and sarcasm. If you dont have anything constructive to say, like perhaps pointing to a solid deal like the OP is asking about, shut the eff up.

inner peace to make peace
    Kona sells new steel frame-only.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    How bout you guys curb your 26 vs 29 arguments and sarcasm. If you dont have anything constructive to say, like perhaps pointing to a solid deal like the OP is asking about, shut the eff up.
    Sorry, not seeing where anyone's arguing or being sarcastic?

Life on a Sandbar
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post
    Sorry, not seeing where anyone's arguing or being sarcastic?
    Me neither.

mtbr member
    someone forgot to put the seat on their bike before they went riding

Life on a Sandbar
    Quote Originally Posted by qdawgg View Post
    someone forgot to put the seat on their bike before they went riding
    Hah ha ha ha ha......thanx for the laugh; + rep your way for that one.

Uncle

This...

Quote Originally Posted by TrailNut View Post
    Kona sells new steel frame-only.
    Completely agree with TrailNut, though I don't expect they've made too many; i.e. I wouldn't expect any discounted frames to be floating around out there. Maybe the mini-me size might float up on Ebay at some point.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    I've got an early 90s GT karakoram K2 steel hardtail that is complete with 3x9 speed that needs a little TLC. I'd be willing to sell the whole bike for cheap. Send me a PM if you're intrested.