mtbr member

what's a reasonable amount of time for an item to ship?

ordered and paid for the item on july 23, got an email after asking them what's up that says it's out of stock and they don't have an eta. when ordered it said available and ships in 5-8 business days
    are they pulling my chain?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    "In stock" should mean in stock. If you don't have it; don't say you do.

Once upon a time, I ordered re-loading brass. The website said it was in stock and ready to ship. Several un-returned emails, phone calls, and 88 days later, I submitted a credit card dispute. My CC refunded my money.

Two months later (five months after initial order), the guy from the website called me and said he had brass in stock and ready to ship. He said he needed my credit card number to charge me.

I told him he could ship it to me and I would pay him in about 5 months. He said he was not willing to wait 5 months.

Funny - concept of customer service. It is OK for customers to wait, but not OK for business to wait same amount of time. (Bit of disclaimer here, I know about contracts, sale of goods, and timing for performance - But, in the milieu of this form of customer service, the seller should have the same expectation/treatment as the buyer, e.g. "Golden Rule").

On the flip side, I have a 2014 bike on order now. I don't expect delivery until Oct. or Nov. In the past, I have waited 10 months for a limited run firearm and 6 months for a custom road frame. In these cases, the company was upfront about the wait time. I can live with that. I do not appreciate being misled (Niner) on availability.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by larrylund View Post
    ordered and paid for the item on july 23, got an email after asking them what's up that says it's out of stock and they don't have an eta. when ordered it said available and ships in 5-8 business days
    If it's a very good deal and you can wait then I would say up to 4 weeks otherwise I would cancel. That's pretty crummy when a company does that but it happens. My buddy just got screwed over by Price Point because they said they had an item in stock when in fact it was sold out. They called him a few days after purchase and told him tough luck so sad here's a refund. It was for a closeout 2012 fork... They could have at least offered him a deal on the 2013 model. Anyway, go with your gut feeling and what is in your best interest.
    Killing it with close inspection.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Ships in 5-8 business days means they had to get it from their distributor. No guaranty it would be available when they went to order, and now new stock arrival is unknown. I would cancel now.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Let me guess, Cambria Bike?

mtbr member
    i think i'll give them one more week that's a total of 3 weeks after payment. the deal was to sweet and i think they want me to cancel. i'll make sure to post the outcome!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

If its out of stock, it can take up to a month

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by raymondy View Post
    If its out of stock, it can take up to a month...
    ...or never. They have no ETA for the item.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Let me guess, Cambria Bike?

No, not them, they never do that................

Like take an order for a Geax 2.3 TNT tire before the factory even started making them....No, they wouldn't, couldn't, shouldn't, would they?
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.