mtbr member
    Sep 2004

What is the best lighting system... Supernova!!

What is the best lighting system that money can buy??. Supernova lights!!!!. A lot of us spend a Zillion dollars on our bikes to have the very best.Now there is a light for us. I could try a write a 10-page review on the light but it would not do it justice. They are not cheep, but you get what you pay for. If anything go to their web sight and take a look.
    http://www.supernova-lights.com/ . I am currently using the Supernova P99-D (don?t tell my wife how much I spent. I will be sleeping outside with the light, my dog and my bikes.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You paid $850 for a bike lamp?? I read and compared as much as I can and based on the lack of info they give I will give some comparisons to my Light and Motion ARC HID Lamp.

The Supernova comes with a NiMH batery and the L&M comes with a Li-Ion. The Li-Ion is a much bettery battery it weighs less and is MUCH smaller (fits in jersey pocket).

The Supernova appears (site isn't clear if it is even available) to only mount to handlebars. The L&M mounts to handlebars OR to the Helmet on INCLUDED mounting brackets. I personally want my light on my head so it goes where I am looking although a second lighting system would be nice on the handlebars.

The Supernova weighs 1047g total including battery, cable and lamp (I will assume mounting bracket since they don't say). The L&M weights 470 g. That is little over 1 full pound less for the L&M.

The Supernova at 10 watts burns for 4 hours. The L&M at 11 watts burns for 3.5 hours (on a much smaller battery). The Supernova has a peak output of 20 watts for 2 hours while the L&M is only 13.5 watts but lasts 3 hours. I have never thought I needed more than 13.5 watts of HID light on a trail. (Remember HID watts are much brighter than there halogen equivalents).

All of this said the system look fairly nice but the design and website makes the system look like it is a grassroots system. That isn't a big deal but support would concern me and with it's features I would consider it on par with the L&M and Nightrider HID systems if it fits your requirements.

That said I paid $300 for my L&M ARC HID and you paid 2.75 times more than that ($850) for fewer features and slightly more peak light. While it might be a nice system and I would really like to see one in person I would not trade my L&M ARC for it on an even trade.

** I have not used the nightrider systems so I cannot speak for them or how well they work.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    you think that's bad, bicycling has a lights review in the new issue and one of the LED lights they reviewed is $650 with a total of 4 watts of LED with a NiMh battery. For $100 CANADIAN... you can get a 3W digital Nitehawk LED light (while HID's run about 4-5 times the halogen equivalent light levels, LED's are about 3 to 4 times as much, but with vastly longer bulb lifes) which is a bit lower in peak output, but has like 6 different output settings, 5 flashing modes, and options for rechargeable batteries. It normally just takes 4 AA size batteries (alkelines or rechargeables) and will give you about 9 hours on 4 Energizers at max output. That's the equivalent to a 10W halogen in light output, at a total weight with batteries of 255 grams (half a pound). Unfortunetly they appear at the moment to only have handlebar mounts for them.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I agree with you have to see it and compare it with your own light. It is not just the amount of light but the workmanship like the housing and cables that make this light better for me. I had a nightrider H.I.D. This light is much brighter and looks a lot better. I got the Li-Ion battery with mine. One of the things a like about the company is that you have a choice about what type of lights you want LEDS, Halogen, or Xenon. I do a lot of night riding. I also enjoy 24-hour races and this system works for me. The company has great customer service and that means a lot to me. Thank you for your response.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yetiturner
    I agree with you have to see it and compare it with your own light. It is not just the amount of light but the workmanship like the housing and cables that make this light better for me. I had a nightrider H.I.D. This light is much brighter and looks a lot better. I got the Li-Ion battery with mine. One of the things a like about the company is that you have a choice about what type of lights you want LEDS, Halogen, or Xenon. I do a lot of night riding. I also enjoy 24-hour races and this system works for me. The company has great customer service and that means a lot to me. Thank you for your response.

Fair enough. I have not even seen a Niterider but I can't imagine them making a much better looking light than an L&M, just different. The system sounds like a good setup but it's price is far beyond a competitive price like other setups. Worst case I have seen is like $450 for an HID setup. We have gotten great service from L&M so I just had sticker shock when responsding I suppose. I would like to see an $800 system though.
    Last edited by Asahi; 09-08-2004 at 02:10 PM.