mtbr member

What is the best helmet and who has the best deal?

I've never ridden with a helmet before but am starting to do more stuff so figure it might be a good idea. What is the best helmet and who has the best deal on it?

Thank you
    Steve
    Last edited by magentawave; 03-09-2012 at 05:02 PM.

HAHA PWN
    It depend on your needs and what are you willing to spend. Most helmets have to meet a industry standard. Usually expensive helmets are lighter and offer better cooling channels. Check BlueSkyCycling.com. They have some Fox Flux and Bell Sequence for sale at a good price. And Steve, good for you; helmets saves lives.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    HucknRoll also has some deals on helmets:

Mountain Bike Helmets*from Hucknroll.com

mtbr member
    Is there any particular style of helmet or specific model you guys would recommend?

I'm really not sure of my "needs" yet since I've never worn a helmet, but I'm thinking ventilation and protection for the side and back of my dome is key, as opposed to those sit-on-top helmets I see road bike people wearing. Would you agree with those two points?

Thanks again.
    Steve

P.S. I see I misspelled the word helmet in my post but fixed it. (I swear, I used to be a good speller but my spelling is sucking w/ age!)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I currently have the Giro Feature and it addresses the 2 concerns that you have mentioned. You can also look at the Bern Brentwood and a couple of other models that they offer. The POC helmets also address your 2 concerns. The Bern helmets has that skater look though, not sure if you mind that. But try on as much helmet as you can, one might look like the "one" you are looking for but if it does not fit comfortably, it's not going to work. Good luck!

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
    I'm really not sure of my "needs" yet since I've never worn a helmet, but I'm thinking ventilation and protection for the side and back of my dome is key, as opposed to those sit-on-top helmets I see road bike people wearing. Would you agree with those two points?
    Before anyone can give you a solid answer: what is your riding style and do you have a budget? The answer is going to be different if you are a cashed-up downhiller or a student who rides smooth singletrack.

Generally: The best helmet is the one that fits. Different brands fit different shaped heads (Giro and Bell are the two examples usually cited). Once you find the brand that fits, get the one that suits your budget- there is often no safety difference between most XC-style helmets, the extra dollars go into fancier colours, sleeker looks or at the extreme end carbon fibre inserts in the shell that give you bigger vent holes.

Edit: so therefore buy your first helmet from an LBS after trying on a bunch. Or even from Walmart. Don't be one of those losers that tries something on in a store then goes online to get it for cheaper
    Last edited by womble; 03-09-2012 at 09:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Best feature in helmet technology that has come out in the last 15 years is the 'roc-loc' system, originally (I believe) from Giro. Actually, it's probably the only real feature besides more venting that has come out in the last 15 years. Get a helmet with some variation of that, most of them have it, and you'll probably be fine. Just, as many others have said, try it on first. Your first helmet is something to get at your local bike shop, not online.
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)
    http://www.sbtec.com

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Check Chainlove for LG. You can check Chainlove tracker gearscan to see what it listed for.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've never ridden with a helmet before but am starting to do more stuff so figure it might be a good idea. What is the best helmet and who has the best deal on it?

Thank you
    Steve
    from all the good advices in here, never forget amazon, They do have some good prices on bikes accessories.

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    I still use a bell mirra skate helmet I bought from JensonUSA on clearance for 8.99 five years ago. It's light, reliable and comfy. I enjoy it far more than my full face bell drops or giro remedy. When I can afford one of these maybe I'll switch.
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Helmets are very subjective and you really need to try them out rather than go with the 'best' of a certain company's line. I was using an entry level Giro for quite a while I tried a bunch like Fox, Poc, Giro...didn't really like any of them in terms of fit or size. Stumbled on a Bell Volt closeout which fit wonderfully and I got a massive discount. Was never on my list to begin with but glad I bought it

GAME ON!
    if it is your first helmet, i definitely don't recommend buying online. go to a bike shop and see what fits. you might be right between a medium and large but you won't know until you try a few. some companies have different fits i.e. giro vs fox. then the next time you buy a helmet, you'll know what works and what doesn't.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Nashbar and Amazon have the best prices on Giro. If you have Amazon Prime, you can get it shipped free.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have tried Giro, Bell, Fox and Specialized helmets and have found that they all fit completely different. My personal choice is either Fox or Specialized. You can usually find Fox helmets onsale online but Specialized controls their prices. Big name sport stores like Dick's or REI usually carry Giro and Bell while you can find Fox and Specialized helmets at the LBS. I would recommend that you at least check out Specialized helmets as they fit great (but can be a little pricey at around $65+). If you are looking for just basic and cheap the Bell Slant is a great helmet and can be found for around $35 (I believe it was even reviewed and rated highly by Consumer Reports a while back).
    Killing it with close inspection.

ronbo613
    Bell Slant is a good helmet, especially for the price.
    I head butted a tree on a full speed downhill crash with mine and the helmet barely cracked. Can't say the same for a couple of my fingers....

banned
    Dec 2006

Thank you
    Steve
    HuckNRoll has great deals on helmets

mtbr member
    I read all your recommendations and ended up buying a helmet at Performance Bicycles in Sorrento Valley (San Diego). I tried a lot of helmets on with prices as high as $150.00 and the one that fit my dome the best was a Giro Transfer for only $30.00!

Thank you everyone.

Steve
    Last edited by magentawave; 04-06-2012 at 07:06 PM.

mtbr member
    The more expensive the helmet, the more it looks like the result of an illicit union between a cooler, salad bowl and a cheese grater after loosing a paintball tournament.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zold View Post
    The more expensive the helmet, the more it looks like the result of an illicit union between a cooler, salad bowl and a cheese grater after loosing a paintball tournament.
    My wife calls them Tron helmets ...