Warrior's Society

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Warning about Performance Bicycles....Pricing

This is just a heads up for anyone that shops at Performance.

Look closely at the price.

Here is what I experienced yesterday:

Looked on the website and saw they had Defeet Blaze socks......$14.99

Found Jenson had them for $11.49.

I live about 8 miles from a Perf. store and needed them yesterday.

Drive down and find the Blaze socks in the size I need and notice the tag on the hook that says "Defeet Blaze" $12.00....sweet I say, but didn't really matter since I was going to have them price match Jenson

Go to the counter and they ring up at $14.00 WTF?

They now are indicating 3 different prices for the same item. When confronting the salesman at the counter, he didn't even go over to look...just changed the price.

This isn't the first time this has happened. I don't normally shop at Perf......but this is usually my experience with them.

Do your homework before shopping at the stores.....wonder how many people get overcharged for items because they don't pay attention.
    Last edited by mtnbikej; 11-19-2012 at 08:24 AM.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    I always at least check their website when buying in the store, most items are $5-10 cheaper online and they'll match.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post

wonder how many people get overcharged for items because they don't pay attention.
    You weren't "over charged". There is a store price and an online price. Many companies do that. Even target and walmart.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    You weren't "over charged". There is a store price and an online price. Many companies do that. Even target and walmart.
    Yup... and with Target it just so happened I was in two of their locations in one day and I discovered different prices on the same item. I complained about that one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    He said the price on the tag in the store said $12 and it rang up $14.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    The store corrected the situation and gave you the $12 price, so what was the problem?

FriendlyNeighborhoodMTBer
    Everyone and their mother just needs to be vigilant about prices.
    On the flipside, for a few hours a few weeks ago, they were selling $240 Sidi Dominator 5's on their website for $100. A few folks went to the store and got a pricematch before they changed their online price.
    If you can't play, display.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by riiz View Post
    The store corrected the situation and gave you the $12 price, so what was the problem?

They only corrected it because I brought it up. Had I said nothing, they would have done nothing.

Like I said above, this isn't the first time this has happened.

One Gear
    Performance changes their prices so often that the stores can't possibly keep up. You have to know exactly what the item is worth before you go into Performance.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I agree we need to pay close attention to everything we buy. My old coworker bought some health bars at Target, and although bars shouldn't be taxed, only one flavor was being taxed. He brought it up to their attention and they said they'd correct it. Of course, next time rolls around, and same thing happened, same store. They simply tried to correct credit him at the register, but this time he demands that a supervisor was aware and take action. Not sure what's happened since.

mtbr member
    Prices ring up wrong at stores all the time. Singling out Performance seems silly to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have had a high percentage of issues with Performace pricing as well. Probably 5-10% of the items ring up incorrectly. I dont buy a whole lot of stuff at a time when I shop there so I usually catch it.
    Killing it with close inspection.

Xtreme Lounger
    the tag on the hook that says "Defeet Blaze" $12.00.....

I was expecting you to say it rang up as $24.00 and you missed the fine print, "each sock."

Stay vigilant out there folks. It's a jungle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've noted the same issue with PB. It was a headache having to sort out pricing because I usually wait to go until I need several components or items. I had to boot up the ol' portable computer to sort out all discrepancies.

Of course 92gli, riiz, and OldManBike must think that I should expect to do the same anywhere I shop. However, this does not sound normal to me and this is the ONLY retailer I have ever come to expect this from. Where have you guys shopped that this sort of things has routinely happened?
    Last edited by Art.C; 11-15-2012 at 12:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Another frustrated Performance shopper

Like some others have indicated, this happens to me at Performance almost every time I buy something there and I can't recall it happening at any other retailer I frequent. It's sloppy business practice at best, and intentional unethical business practice at worst.

To complicate matters their registers are set up so you can't see the price that rings up - you have to ask the person ringing you up what the price is.

Finally, they seem to make a habit out of putting similar items in the wrong shelf space, so you think the item you are getting costs less than it really does. The Pro/Trail stems are in the wrong place every time I go there despite my having pointed this out to employees. I'm guessing they do this with other items, too.

I was so stoked when they opened a store near me but I have to say I have been really disappointed with it and the only thing I buy there anymore are their tubes (which coincidentally usually ring up for a dollar more than the display says!).

Poacher
    Sep 2010

I run into this at Chevron stations all the time

Just kidding. HaHAAHa

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Target had to pay a large fine in California for this "problem". If you ask me, it's a method to get more money out of people that don't attention. Lots of places do it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    ... Did you even read the entire post?

11 is one louder than 10
    You know you can return anything, anytime, for any reason at Performance right?

It's like a lifetime price guarantee. Now, no reason to abuse it but it is there for you.

While I don't always love their selection and sometimes you have to wait on pricing they are really a great option and retailer I have found simply due to this policy.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

banned
    Dec 2006
    This is just a heads up for anyone that shops at Performance.

Look closely at the price.

Here is what I experienced yesterday:

Looked on the website and saw they had Defeet Blaze socks......$14.99

Found Jenson had them for $11.49.

I live about 8 miles from a Perf. store and needed them yesterday.

Drive down and find the Blaze socks in the size I need and notice the tag on the hook that says "Defeet Blaze" $12.00.....sweet I say, but didn't really matter since I was going to have them price match Jenson.

They now are indicating 3 different prices for the same item. When confronting the salesman at the counter, he didn't even go over to look...just changed the price.

This isn't the first time this has happened. I don't normally shop at Perf......but this is usually my experience with them.

Do your homework before shopping at the stores.....wonder how many people get overcharged for items because they don't pay attention.
    Many companies do this. You have a online price and a B&M price

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by gridtalker View Post
    Many companies do this. You have a online price and a B&M price

I understand that......re-read my OP......especially the Red and Blue sentences.....this is what I am pointing out.