Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Very Good Experience with Universal Cycles

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  bstyle74 
#1 ·
Well I now I finally have a chance to sit down and write a review of universal cycles. I ordered $1250 USD worth of goods. I thought I would take advantage of the 15% off for orders over 300 and maximize the shipping as I'm one of those crazy canadians who splurges on internet orders.

Some friends also joined in on the order so the shopping kart went from my wanting to buy a pair of FSA XC300 wheels to getting custom built wheels by them due to their super attractive prices.

The wheel set I recieved is very nicely done. I got Hope Pro 2s, DTswiss Supercomp spokes, Mavic 717XC Discs. Those came to 490 USD. Way cheaper than anywhere else I could find just buying parts individually. The set came in at 1623g with rim tape, which is amazing.

All packages were neatly packaged and no damage at all. I had everything shipped via USPS from USA to Canada.

The order took about 2 weeks as I had some stuff that were backordered or required Universal to get from Hope directly, plus the wheels needed to be built.

Overall I'm super happy. Mike, Matt, Josh and the rest of the crew there continually assured me over the phone that everything was A OK. Each time I was greated by knowledgable, friendly and helpful people, which is to say amazing as some online bike stores don't know their products that they are selling.

I will certainly do business again with them as soon as my american express is wiped clean. Best service customer service ever! Even better than the customer service I get from my subaru dealership after plunking down 30K for a car...

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
It's funny how I found them ... I was surfing the wheels and tires forum debating the quality and stiffness of the FSA XC300 wheelsets. My specialized OEM wheelset was crap and I slightly damaged it when I crashed hard.

I had my eyes set on the FSA and someone else did too, he/she asked where is the cheapest. At the time universal cycles had just started their 15% off sale over 300 (about July-ish time frame). So I was going to order them. 290 bucks for two wheels, light, and seemed like it was decent. Then I decided ok what else can universal cycles offer, I tried their wheel builder kit, had fun. Put in my somewhat dream parts for a wheel. 200 bucks more... for this wheel. OK 200 I can manage.

Then I surfed around thinking what else do I want, I made my 300 dollar requirement already. Then my wants ballooned from 300 dollar FSA wheelset to custom wheelset, and weight weenie parts...

Shows the power of the internet. Universal Cycles got my order of 1250 bucks in parts because someone mentioned that the FSA wheel set with the 15% discount was cheapest all over the internet at universal cycles.

Oh and another key factor is that Universal Cycles ships USPS for Canadian customers. I shopped Jenson USA before, shortly after my 1st order from them they switched from FEDEX to UPS. I hate UPS. UPS is the devil for cross boarder shopping. I got burned so many times by UPS I learned to take my business elsewhere if it was UPS shipping only. I hope Universal Cycles continues with USPS for canadian customers instead of trying to save a buck with getting a volume discount for UPS shipping, forcing everyone to use them. USPS actually doesn't throw and walk over their packages, unlike UPS or FEDEX even.

#6 ·
First of all, I have to compliment your super clean house. Not single dust bunny and that grout is spotless!

Secondly, yes I would also have to recommend Universal Cycles. They built my 29er wheelset and shipped them nice and safe in two boxes, as you photographed. The build was fast too.

I've to call them on the phone and they've always been helpful. Universal and Speedgoat are my fav smaller guys to order from.

#7 ·
bike shops are harder to run than your average safeway because there's a huge amount of expertise that's required from the workers. factor in the service labor, manufacturer delays, and usual everyday business duties and its prolly one of the harder businesses to run successfully.

that said, universal is great. the are always courteous, try to be as helpful as always, are knowledgeable and have a pretty good system that helps keep them on top of things such as inventory. the worst experience i had with them was a Hope seat post clamp that took a month to get to me, but it seemed to be a manufacturer delay. no tax and a pretty good price match policy is great, too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.