mtbr member
    Apr 2006

US Purchase Experience w/Chain Reaction?

Wondering what your experience was with Chain Reaction Cycles when purchasing from the US. I'm looking at crankset there and in USD it's far cheaper than anyplace I've found in the US including eBay. Free shipping to the US on top of that. Something doesn't seem right... Hidden charges maybe?

Thanks in advance,

simp

Freshly Fujified

No major issues

The only issues I've seen with buying from Chain Reaction are the lead times for delivery (which can be pretty long) and the fact that much of the time you receive the OEM version of the product. If you're not in a rush, and you don't mind not getting the pretty box and associated literature, then you'll be fine. Another poster noted in a similar thread that if you pay by credit card, your CC company may charge you a currency conversion fee. This is NOT an issue with Chain Reaction Cycles as I understand it, but a credit card issue. I would check with your issuing bank and see how they address this before ordering.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the response Bob. The item I'm looking at is that fancy new FC-M970 XTR crank from shitmano. $375.11 delivered just seems too good to be true, right? Thanks for the advice, I'll give my CC company a call and post what their response is.

later,
    simp

banned
    I heard good things about them. I've ordered from them and had a mediocre experience at best.
    Just make sure your credit card company doesn't charge you a currency exchange fee when you pay them.
    Last edited by Becane73; 01-08-2007 at 09:34 AM.

No, that's not phonetic
    If you exceed a certain dollar amount then shipping is indeed free. There will be a credit card currency exchange fee however. I don't remember just what it is, but it's pretty expensive. Your bank does this, so it's not CRC's fault, I believe. It may be $30, which is what shipping would have been.

I have placed two orders through them and everything worked out very well and expeditiously. I get stuff not available in the US like Shimano winter shoes and super cheap drivetrain components like chains and cassettes through them.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Exchange rate fees for credit cards are common, but they vary from bank to bank. A recent purchase from Jenson (I'm in Australia) for US$225 cost me about US$5.50 in fees - about 2.4%. This bank use to charge 1.5% but put its fees up recently.

Wombat

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

good experience

just ordered the xt crankset/bb in december and it came quickly and in the new shimano box. no problems.

TurnURComputerOff&GoRide
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat
    Exchange rate fees for credit cards are common, but they vary from bank to bank. A recent purchase from Jenson (I'm in Australia) for US$225 cost me about US$5.50 in fees - about 2.4%. This bank use to charge 1.5% but put its fees up recently.

Wombat
    I live and work in both the US and Australia - on top of the usual approx 1% to 2%conversion charge, many of the US Banks charge an additional US$30 handling fee.

Hope I don't get flamed here - but compared to the rest of the world the US banking system is kind of antiquated / banking systems don't talk to each other / still use a lot of paper / people actually still use checks everywhere!!! In fact the banks issue checks to each other rather than doing electronic transfers ... on top of all of this they pretty much rob their customers blind with additional fees and charges if they want to access or use their money.

Australians should never ever complain about things in Aus - Banking, Health Care, Social Security, Dept Motor Vehicles, etc. are unbelievably good in Australia when you compare them to the US.
    Don't even start me on health care - the US has completely lost the plot. The same doctors visit for my sick 3 year old ... in Australia AU$33, in the US$2,435.
    So comparatively a bank charging an extra $30 just to do a currency conversion that they are already making money on as they slice a bit off the exchange rate and then charge an additional 1% anyway - doesn't seem so bad when the health care bills roll in!!
    Sorry – hijacked this thread a little bit to have a rant!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rural
    I live and work in both the US and Australia - on top of the usual approx 1% to 2%conversion charge, many of the US Banks charge an additional US$30 handling fee.

Hope I don't get flamed here - but compared to the rest of the world the US banking system is kind of antiquated / banking systems don't talk to each other / still use a lot of paper / people actually still use checks everywhere!!! In fact the banks issue checks to each other rather than doing electronic transfers ... on top of all of this they pretty much rob their customers blind with additional fees and charges if they want to access or use their money.

Australians should never ever complain about things in Aus - Banking, Health Care, Social Security, Dept Motor Vehicles, etc. are unbelievably good in Australia when you compare them to the US.
    Don't even start me on health care - the US has completely lost the plot. The same doctors visit for my sick 3 year old ... in Australia AU$33, in the US$2,435.
    So comparatively a bank charging an extra $30 just to do a currency conversion that they are already making money on as they slice a bit off the exchange rate and then charge an additional 1% anyway - doesn't seem so bad when the health care bills roll in!!
    No worries on the hijack. Wouldn't really consider it a hijack anyway. So, based on what I see in this thread, even with the hidden charges, conversion charges, etc, I'd still be further ahead getting the cranks here. Can't find 'em any cheaper. Although now I see they're back ordered.....

mtbr member
    did you try price matching them with a us based website store?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I looked at a couple of places and they both specify the price match must be sourced from a US store. I figured that meant CR was out of the question.

Tá mé ar meisce.
    Quote Originally Posted by rural

Well I purchased an xt crankset from crc and got charged about 1.75% on the conversion (no $30 fee). I also recently took my 2 children to the doctor (after a horrible trip where we all got deathly ill) and it cost $20 for the both of them. So methinks your rant just tells me you need to do better homework.

As for the xt crankset it came in retail packaging and shipping was as fast as what I get from companies in the US.
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've had Performance price match on XT Cranks CRC on 2 different occassions w/o any issues.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBidnezz
    I've had Performance price match on XT Cranks CRC on 2 different occassions w/o any issues.
    online or in store?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Becane73
    online or in store?

Thanks
    I just printed up the USD pricing page, and took it in to the store. 2 different Performance shops honored the pricing, and no issues whatsoever....

I hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simplton
    I looked at a couple of places and they both specify the price match must be sourced from a US store. I figured that meant CR was out of the question.
    Cambria bikes looks like they'll price smash(price match). If you go this route make sure you put in us dollar amount to match and not uk amount. Doesnt say anything about international matching here is the link: http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=30052

TurnURComputerOff&GoRide
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerCan
    Well I purchased an xt crankset from crc and got charged about 1.75% on the conversion (no $30 fee). I also recently took my 2 children to the doctor (after a horrible trip where we all got deathly ill) and it cost $20 for the both of them. So methinks your rant just tells me you need to do better homework.
    Hey - I'm only talking from my experiences - not homework.
    Many of the US banks charge a $30 fee for foreign transactions - some don't. I mention this as the $30 fee seemed to be what people in this thread were on about.
    Unfortunately for me the bank accounts that let you maintain an address anywhere in the world (outside of the US) all charge the $30 fee for any international transaction.

On the Health care costs - I've never seen anything cost $20 in the US. I'm sure you're just talking about your out of pocket/ co-payment after the insurance picked up the rest of the tab.
    In Aus the same treatment for my sick kid cost $33 total - i.e. no insurance or anything else. In the US it was US$2435. My US health insurance, which costs in excess of $8k a year, picked up all of it. But something tells me someone is wrong when a doctor in one country charges $33 and the other country to charges $2435.

Tá mé ar meisce.
    Why make it look like you only payed 33 bucks? Are you expecting me to believe the Aus helth care system operates that cheaply? I think not. We have insurance to pay for health care Australians have taxes. One way or another you pay, bottom line.

But hey this is off topic and not biking related so I will not mention it any more
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

TurnURComputerOff&GoRide
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerCan
    Why make it look like you only payed 33 bucks? Are you expecting me to believe the Aus helth care system operates that cheaply? I think not. We have insurance to pay for health care Australians have taxes. One way or another you pay, bottom line.

But hey this is off topic and not biking related so I will not mention it any more
    Dude – believe what you want – Like I’m saying I’m only talking from my experience….
    3 year old with a really high fever that won’t break – late at night so went to the Emergency room at El Camino Hospital in Mountain View as nothing else was open at that hour. They poke and prod his stomach, look in his ears and throat, take a urine sample and dip a stick in it – send us on our way with a script for antibiotics and a bill for US$2435 – the whole thing took two hours as there was a long queue and then waiting for the doc to come into the room they showed us to.

Had the same deal in Aus, down to the local private medical centre – they do not get gov funding or any tax payer dollars. 15 minutes latter they’d done exactly the same as above and sent us on our way with a script and a bill for $33. They get no money from the government health care or private health care on top of this.
    Yes we do pay a 1% tax in Aus that funds the Medicare system and most general practitioners charge between $33 and $45 and the patient usually gets $33 of that refunded by the Medicare/tax system. But the general practitioner gets no money on top of that.

To put this in perspective – all the doctor in Aus made for their 15 minutes to write a script and dip a test stick in a cup of urine was $33. Not US$2435!
    If I was a doctor I think I would rather work in the US where I get to rort the insurance companies at will and everyone thinks it’s normal business.
    I’ve spent 3 years in California and have 2 small kids – so plenty of trips to the doctors and the difference in respective costs is massive regardless of the final bill being paid by health insurance or a tax enforced government health insurance system.

But like you say – way off thread – and I’ve spelt out my personal experience in depth now so can’t really add anything else anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hubby ordered a crankset for me through Chain Reaction, and it's typically not available in the US. He ordered really fast shipping, and we got it just a few days after placing the order. No issues at all.