OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee

Universal Cyclist

I'm not sure if this is the best place to throw this up or not but I got what I think was some pretty damned decent service from Universal this last week. I am putting together a wheelset and ordered all of the parts from their website last week (their prices weren't great but I was able to use their price match to get the prices close enough). So on Friday I get a call from the guy putting the order together and he says "I was pulling your order and I noticed that you have a 26" rim and the spokes you ordered are for a 29" wheelbuild. I just wanted to verify this is what you wanted?"

D'oh!!! I ordered the 26" rims instead of the 29" rims I wanted. I could blame it on their website design but mostly it was just a goof on my part. In any case, the fact that they had someone with a brain assembling orders rather than a bonehead pulling part numbers saved me a major headache and should get me my wheels built in time for this weekends riding.

Anyhow, they didn't have the best price on the parts but they pricematched into the ballpark and the fact that they checked my order made them a much better 'Deal" than most internet shops.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Awsome.

You're right, the prices aren't the best, but with their 10% and 15% coupons plus price match, you can do OK. My biggest complaint is they take a while to process orders sometimes.

All the same, for us Californians, it's super quick shipping once handed over to UPS, and no tax, of course. That's why I find myself choosing them more and more.

Good to know they have somebody paying attention in the back room, to boot. That would have been guaranteed return hassle for all but a few other online merchants.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Awsome.

You're right, the prices aren't the best, but with their 10% and 15% coupons plus price match, you can do OK. My biggest complaint is they take a while to process orders sometimes.
    I agree, I ordered on Wednesday and they didn't ship until Friday. Not the best turnaround. But since UPS says it will be here tomorrow I can't complain too much.

The price match was still about $25+ higher than Pricepoint for the hubs but the lack of sales tax and single shipping expense made it close break even. But Pricepoint doesn't sell spokes (WTF is up with that, they sell hubs and rims but no spokes??!!). Wheels are definitely something where it pays to single source as far as I'm concerned.

Reviewer/Tester
    I've always had good results with Universal too.

They take a little longer to deliver, but they always deliver, unlike some others I have dealt with.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

ups and downs
    A lot of the best shipping rate arrangements with the freight companies happen with a scheduled pickup structure as it's more efficient for the freight company to send a big empty truck to their place twice a week instead of trying to get a truck past there once or twice a day. Universal seems to have two shipping days in a week, Tuesday and Friday I think, which gives them a couple of days to accumulate and pick/pack orders before each freight day. My impression has been that this has resulted in more order fulfillment accuracy and gives them the chance to catch errors like the OP mentioned before they go out the door, and correct them. I started buying from Universal back in the days they were in Reno, Nevada and have always had good service from Mike.

Aquaman
    I have had good service from them to. The last time was for some CK hubs with the 15% off. The no tax is great also.

mtbr member
    I had great service from UC the first two or three times I ordered. First time was really fast and I even had some special order small parts from Hope that they got really quickly and had them out to Canada in no time.

My last experience with them was not so great . I needed a couple more special order items from Fizik that Mike said he could get, said they would take about 4 days. A week later the order hadn't shipped, I wasn't told what the price of the products would be either, and nothing was added to my order.

By now I had a couple other small items to add to my order while I was waiting, and called in with the sku-numbers. They couldn't add them to my existing order and told me to go through the checkout process again and leave a note to add them to my previous order. They also told me to leave a note in there about the availability of some ENO chainrings I was looking at. When I asked about my special order items they said there was no sign of them even in my order. I emailed Mike and he said it was taken care of.

After a few more days I inquired about the status of my special order, they told me that it would take them 5 days to get the product (I had already waited over a week), still no update on price. So in a pinch, I called in to get them to ship the rest of my order which was all ready since I was getting desperate for some of the parts.I said I would pay shipping again when the other items came in. They told me Mike would be in touch (even emailed Mike to confirm).

I waited a month, no email from Mike about the status of the special order, still hasn't told me what the product is going to cost, and never heard back about the other product I asked about. I emailed mike 3 or 4 days ago and still never got a reply.

Decent place I guess if they have it in stock, but their CS is no where near Jenson. I guess it is a trade off for all the stuff they carry that Jenson doesn't have.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    where do you get the coupons from? I was planning on making an order from these guys sometimes soon.

EDIT: N/M found them in another thread. VIP10 for 100+ or VIP15 for 300+