mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Universal Cycles problems??

anyone had problems with Universal Cycles??

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by very slow rider
    I had a problem with them a couple of years ago. Ordered some wheels, took them about 10 days to even ship them. Kept calling and getting the run around with what was going on with my order. They eventually got them to me and refunded my shipping. In their defense, I have ordered from them a couple times since, and they were very prompt with the shipping, and I had no problems. Their prices are sometimes hard to beat, especially with drivetrain stuff.

Jeff

mtbr member
    I just ordered some tires from them and had them with in a week. They emailed me with the tracking number and was able to track my package. I will definitely order from them again as they do have some good prices especially on drivetrain as jlee said.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

3-4 years ago I ordered a camelbak from them, and it took over a month to receive it. I think that the problem was that it was on backorder or something. But they never did email me or call me about it for a long time., so I ended up calling them myself.
    thats the only experience I've had with them, poor communication.
    they're probably better about it now.

JDZ
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes, they are slow but will tell you that the order is shipping out today or tomorrow every time you call. Weeks later they will still be saying the same thing.

Built to Last

universal has just about everything at a...

competitive price. got some kenda tires about a month ago w/in a couple weeks. slow but they came in. maybe slow b/c they are busy. however, i ordered some bushings for my rear shock, a week and a half ago. called a few times to see whats up, what happened??? them... "if i am not mistaken i sent that at the end of last week" me... "cool thanks, should be here in a couple days." couple days go by no bushings. i call to see whats up again. they didnt know off hand and needed to call back once they found the paperwork. 10 minutes later i come to find they have never been shipped, and they would be shipped last night and that i would recieve a tracking number via email immediately afterwards. to this day the tracking number wasnt sent via email...did they send it yet? who knows...
    these guys seem cool and a little concerned but they need to get their **** together....
    cheers

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I have purchased probably 3k worth of stuff from Mike

Maybe more. No problems. I go into the store though, so I have no experience with Universal on the web. Their wheel builds have been perfect. I'm riding a pair of Hayes Superlight that were built over a year ago with no problems. I buy very few things from other bike shops on or off the web. They are my LBS.

I was at Universal the other day. I bought a Thomson seatpost and Sella Max Flite saddle for $100. Great deal! I also saw a 2005 Fox Float RLC for $410; a shock that is a take off from a customer who changed his/her mind on a build. An awesome deal!

I don't know what their return policy is because I have never returned anything, but they did assist me when I have a Fox Vanilla that was clunking like crazy.

My thoughts,

Jaybo

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlee197853
    I had a problem with them a couple of years ago. Ordered some wheels, took them about 10 days to even ship them. Kept calling and getting the run around with what was going on with my order. They eventually got them to me and refunded my shipping. In their defense, I have ordered from them a couple times since, and they were very prompt with the shipping, and I had no problems. Their prices are sometimes hard to beat, especially with drivetrain stuff.

Jeff
    10 days for a wheelset can be from build time, especially if they do more than crank out wheelsets during ther work day -- I see nothing wrong here.

I've ordered lots of stuff from them, including wheelsets, and have always been very pleased with their helpfulness and promptness.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Maybe again...

I placed about 2-3 orders and had great luck with them.

Then on my most recent order (for things needed to a trip to whistler) everything got screwed up. Major shipping hassles and lies about things being in stock. I asked them to get the things to me overnight so I could have them on my trip... manager agreed to cover the upgrade. "It will get there tomorrow" he said.

It got to my house 3 days after I had left.

Finally got a full refund.

I prefer others (jensonusa). seems as though customer care is slipping...

mtbr remember
    I have ordered from them a few times in the fast 6months or so and had excellent service. Shipping time was pretty good, and I live in MI. I've always had good communication from them also, I've asked them some questions through email, and recieved an answer within a couple days, which is rare for most places- they don't answer questions unless your placing an order.
    Free shipping this week too, for return customers.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Ordered from them over the past 18 months. Only problem was an order delayed by 2 days. Didn't have the brake pads I wanted so Mike upgraded to a better quality set for no additional charge. Sent emails conferming that it arrived and appologized for the delay. They will continue to get business from me. No complaints.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rjheckler
    competitive price. got some kenda tires about a month ago w/in a couple weeks. slow but they came in. maybe slow b/c they are busy. however, i ordered some bushings for my rear shock, a week and a half ago. called a few times to see whats up, what happened??? them... "if i am not mistaken i sent that at the end of last week" me... "cool thanks, should be here in a couple days." couple days go by no bushings. i call to see whats up again. they didnt know off hand and needed to call back once they found the paperwork. 10 minutes later i come to find they have never been shipped, and they would be shipped last night and that i would recieve a tracking number via email immediately afterwards. to this day the tracking number wasnt sent via email...did they send it yet? who knows...
    these guys seem cool and a little concerned but they need to get their **** together....
    cheers
    Damn, That sucks
    Last edited by GravityWorx; 10-18-2004 at 01:26 PM.