mtbr member
    Sep 2006

universal cycles bs price match

this may be an ignorant post, but has anyone else gotten frustrated with universals price match policy. it seems everytime i try to price match, i'm given some automated, ******** price a minute later. i've never gotten the price actually matched using this button. sure i've gotten a price 15-50% higher than the price i'm trying ot match to, but never have gotten the identical price. i don't know if they do this so that when you use their coupons, you're still getting the item for about the same price as the lowest competitor or what, but it sucks. i wanted to get that marzocchi z1 fr sl fork. listed for like 699 dollars i believe. at blue sky, they have it for 499.99. they price matched it to 625 which is ridiculous, its an 06closeout fork. if you cant pricematch like you claim you will, then don't offer the damn coupons all the time for ****ity **** off your order. i'd rather have a legit pricematch then be getting 15% off of an item thats jacked up in price anyways. sorry for the rant, but they have yet to actual pricematch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Don't rant

Try Speedgoat's price match.
    They've been good to me + free shipping over $100.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    speedgoat doesn't offer a 15% discount though.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Try calling them?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    universal usually price matches for me..... but keep in mind that the 10% or 15% discount will not apply to the price-matched stuff... nor will any of their free shipping (when they have it)

speedgoat has been really good to me... if you dont like universal, give them a try

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hey jkp1080,

I have the 06 Marz Z1 FR SL in stock, priced at $475 with FREE SHIPPING. Forget about Price Matching, why not honor the guy who is responsible for getting you the BEST price? Companies that rely on price matching have no accountability for giving you the best deal. They claim "We have the best deals we can possibly give you" but then in the silent background say "If someone else is going lower, then I guess we can too. . . just for you . . . but we're not changing our prices to be the lowest. Why would we, we'll get some schmucks to the pay the higher price, but then we won't lose the smarter shoppers because we'll price match."

Anyways, check out www.downshiftcycles for some REALLY SWEET deals - all with FREE SHIPPING!

Jared
    801-221-7499

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    thanks for the reply. i'll def. check out your website. the only reason i wanted to stick with universal is i've had 0 problems in the past. i haven't dealt with blue sky although i'm sure they're a reputable company.
    Last edited by jpk1080; 10-16-2006 at 05:36 PM.

Hack Racer
    I find that the 15% off is a better discount than price matching at universal cycles.

mtbr member
    Greenfish has the 06 Z1 FR SL for $430. Even with shipping costs this should be a good deal.

Wombat

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    wow man nice find thats an awesome price, thanks for posting.

aka dan51
    I think their price match is totaly automated, and nothing actually ever checks the price.
    I once did a price match to see if I could save a few bucks, and the price match actually came back HIGHER than their normal price.

I still love the service there, so that's not reason enough to go elsewhere for me. Unless I find a way better deal.

-Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    ...People thought they were getting a good fork because it was a "fox".

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i've discovered that speedgoat keeps their free shipping with orders over $100, even when they price match...
    froogle the best price, most of it seems to be automated. today is the first time from speedgoat that the pricematch said "we'll get back to you within 24 hours"... trying to pricematch some Sun rims...
    universal actaully has the best price on them, but wants $22 just for shipping...

I <3 Dirt
    I've never had problems with Universal's online price match, but I haven't purchased parts from them in a year either.

Team Cspine

Blue Sky...

Quote Originally Posted by jpk1080
    thanks for the reply. i'll def. check out your website. the only reason i wanted to stick with universal is i've had 0 problems in the past. i haven't dealt with blue sky although i'm sure they're a reputable company.
    Only had a couple of orders from Blue Sky but they were easy to deal with even on a return/swap. Heck they don't even make you nag them for an RMA to ship something back.
    Sorry what?

enjoying the kool-aid
    I just used Universalcycles pricematch last night on a pair of Galfer brake pads. It works great. They matche a price from Pricepoint for me (will never buy from them) and I was ordering them 10min after I asked for the pricematch.

I tried my local shops but no one stocked the Galfer pads, just stock Avid ones.

I'll add that Downshift Cycles site to my list to check out! Thanks!

_________
    edit:

nevermind, I think I used to have downshift cycles on my list of places to check out. The prices on all the quick things I checked that I will be possibly buying soon were way high. I'm sure you have deals but they aren't present on your website. I'd rather have a pricematch button and continue to buy from a store I like, than see all these high prices and think "maybe if I call they can go lower"

Avid Juicy 7 = $499 for a pair?!?! huh??? Who is selling these for $249 a piece these days? Look around and you'll see prices between $146 (bikeman.com 2007) to $175 (2006 stock Pricepoint and other places). and yes I know SRAM lowered the price in 2007.

WTB Rocket V Stealth - $130?!? huh??? You can find these easily for under $100. Fullcycles.com has them on sale for $67.99. Also, they don't even make the "Stealth" anymore. It's the SLT now.

sorry, rant over..... back to checking my usual group of great stores. Redbarn Cycles, Bikeman.com, Jenson.com, UniversalCycles.com.
    Last edited by Chewieez; 10-20-2006 at 07:17 AM.

Living the Dream

What's wrong with Price Point?

Quote Originally Posted by Chewieez
    They matche a price from Pricepoint for me (will never buy from them)

I've always gotten good service from price point. Sure, a few years ago they used to charge a lot for shipping. But, they are reasonable now. They have great deals around Christmas Time.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    i've gotten good service from pricepoint.... but i live in CA, so get charged CA sales tax... and still their shipping is no less than when i order from speedgoat (in PA) or universal (in OR)... so it ends up costing me more to order from them.
    same thing with Cambria bike... CA sales tax sets the price off too much...

so my list, starting with most favorite (cost, service, speed of shipping, etc):
    Speedgoat
    Universal Cycles
    Danscomp (BMX stuff)
    eBay (ok, its not a discount store, but whatever)
    Nashbar
    Jenson USA

i usually just order from Speedgoat or Universal, depending what i'm getting.
    froogle.google.com greatly helps with the price match (search for the product you're trying to match, sort by lowest price first... gives you the lowest price out there 90% of the time)

Living the Dream

Ok That makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by dhallilama
    i've gotten good service from pricepoint.... but i live in CA, so get charged CA sales tax... and still their shipping is no less than when i order from speedgoat (in PA) or universal (in OR)... so it ends up costing me more to order from them.

I would add Red Barn Cycling to your list. Chad doesn't have prices posted. but give him a call and you'll be happy. He builds great wheels too.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dhallilama

so my list, starting with most favorite (cost, service, speed of shipping, etc):
    Speedgoat
    Universal Cycles
    Danscomp (BMX stuff)
    eBay (ok, its not a discount store, but whatever)
    Nashbar
    Jenson USA
    Nashbar now charges CA state sales tax since Performance owns them now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    forgot nashbar charges CA tax, now...

Alpenglow: i'll check red barn out........ as soon as i'm done staring at your avatar......

no big deal
    I do most all of my shopping through ride-this.com. They seem to have the best customer service by far and always hook me up. Plus they're in Oregon so they don't have any sales tax.
    Enjoy yourself, bi***es.
    It's a celebration.
    -Dave Chappelle-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpk1080
    this may be an ignorant post, but has anyone else gotten frustrated with universals price match policy. it seems everytime i try to price match, i'm given some automated, ******** price a minute later. i've never gotten the price actually matched using this button. sure i've gotten a price 15-50% higher than the price i'm trying ot match to, but never have gotten the identical price. i don't know if they do this so that when you use their coupons, you're still getting the item for about the same price as the lowest competitor or what, but it sucks. i wanted to get that marzocchi z1 fr sl fork. listed for like 699 dollars i believe. at blue sky, they have it for 499.99. they price matched it to 625 which is ridiculous, its an 06closeout fork. if you cant pricematch like you claim you will, then don't offer the damn coupons all the time for ****ity **** off your order. i'd rather have a legit pricematch then be getting 15% off of an item thats jacked up in price anyways. sorry for the rant, but they have yet to actual pricematch.
    I have never read such an ignorant post!

JK

enjoying the kool-aid
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    I've always gotten good service from price point. Sure, a few years ago they used to charge a lot for shipping. But, they are reasonable now. They have great deals around Christmas Time.

I had my own personal bad experience with them and had some bad CS after the sale. I just vowed a couple years ago to never support them. I don't try to convince anyone else to join me.... but I do what I can to not help them after my experience.

They do have good prices and they work well if you need to pricematch something elseware.

In the end I wish my local bike shops could afford to stock more items, but I understand it really isn't feasible. I try to buy from them when I can, and then for big purchases, I generally try to buy from Chad @ Redbarn or Bikeman.com since I know they are also bike shops and not just online vendors.

to each their own!