mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Is this Trek a good deal?

I am looking to get a deal on a used Specialized or Trek in my area, in my size, and the pickings have looked slim. Yeterday, this was posted on Craigslist:

I have a 2003 or 2004 17.5" trek 4500. I put an upgraded Shimano LX rear dérailleur on there a couple years ago. This summer i put a new crankset, new brake pads, new silicone grips, a new seat and new cable and housing none of which have been ridden on. I work as a bike mechanic and have kept up on all the maintenance. I mostly do road riding so looking to sell the mountain bike. Ill take $350 for it or whatever the best offer is. I just want to buy a plane ticket and any money is good money .

Here's the link with a photo: http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/bik/1337006045.html

Does this look like it might be a good deal? Any concerns that jump immediately to your mind? Should I go take a look at it, or run away?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Hey there seems to be nothing wrong with that bike. Maybe you can take the stem out and reverse it so it's pointing up. It should be a good beginner bike for the trail. But if it was me I would not pay that much for it, especially since its in the 03-04 range, I would offer somewhere between 250-300 bucks. If you put another 100 bucks or so in you can get a pretty decent new hardtail bike at the local bike shop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The first thing I'd do is send him an e-mail and ask him if the fork has disk brake mounts. I don't want to sound like a snob or anything, but I used to ride the local trails with V-brakes, and let me tell you, disk brakes make all the difference. It'll not only boost your ability to brake, corner, and so on, but the piece of mind an confidence you'll have riding disks is worth the investment alone.

mtbr member
    I would say no. While a decent frame (my wife has one hanging in the garage), I believe it retailed for around $450 MSRP back in 03/04.

Not sure what the upgrades are, but $350 is high. I would pay $200-$250 max.

Keep in mind the current model Trek 4500 MSRP is $500 and you might be able to get a close out over the next few months for less.

new2this
    Aug 2009
    i got a 6000 for 599, just saying

new2this
    Aug 2009
    an 09 on closeout

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by string
    Keep in mind the current model Trek 4500 MSRP is $500 and you might be able to get a close out over the next few months for less.
    I just looked at Trek site is says Trek 4500 MSRP is $729.99 here http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...4_series/4500/