Give it a crank

Tom-Tom Mk-II wireless gps receiver

Discontinued Tom-Tom Mk-II wireless gps receivers going for $12-$23 on feeBay, seller id is maxtech33.

Great little until has excellent gps signal reception with WAAS correction, connect via bluetooth. Internal battery allows turning off your smartphone's gps chip for double the battery life. May need a 5VDC charger if it doesn't come with one.

Not related to seller.

Birdman aka JMJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    Discontinued Tom-Tom Mk-II wireless gps receivers going for $12-$23 on feeBay, seller id is maxtech33.

Great little until has excellent gps signal reception with WAAS correction, connect via bluetooth. Internal battery allows turning off your smartphone's gps chip for double the battery life. May need a 5VDC charger if it doesn't come with one.

Not related to seller.
    If you turn off the GPS, but turn on continuous bluetooth, isn't that a wash in terms of battery life?

FWIW, I had one of these for my Palm TX back in the day. Seemed to work pretty well.

JMJ

Give it a crank
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    If you turn off the GPS, but turn on continuous bluetooth, isn't that a wash in terms of battery life?

FWIW, I had one of these for my Palm TX back in the day. Seemed to work pretty well.

JMJ
    I get almost double the battery life on my Galaxy S with bluetooth on and internal gps off. It uses an older Broadcom gps chip. Newer smartphones with low-power gps chips which may not save as much battery when turning it off.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Bluetooth takes very little unless it's transmitting. I want to be vague as there are so many variables but a GPS chip receiving and tracking will take around 3x the current of a Bluetooth chip receiving. But neither is significant compared to the display and backlight being on, or even things like listening to MP3.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow, cheap. Can this be used on a mtb? The picture doesn't show it open or how it works
    We Ride In God's Country!

Give it a crank
    Here's a pretty good article about this receiver.

TomTom MK-II Bluetooth receiver review

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    So what's the advantage of using this? Stronger GPS signal more places? Is sounds more accurate than the GPS app I currently use. Is there additional software needed on your phone?
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

Give it a crank
    Pretty much, altitude data is as good as barometric altitude, there's less signal gaps with the quad helix antenna, it's also supposed to be waterproof for mounting anywhere.

You need to install an app that feeds the bluetooth gps data to your phone as a mock gps so your gps logging apps can read it as if it were the internal phone's gps. I use one called "Bluetooth GPS" for Android.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Thanks

Thanks for posting this. Ordered one with car charger for $15 yesterday. I have a wall charger for a PSP that will work with this. Can't wait to try it out.

Which app are you using? Do any apps support external gps devices without the need of the feeder gps app?

Thanks.