mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Are they insane ?

5 Item in cart. Nice savings and all , but hear this : 222$ shipping for a 209$ cart. WTF!?

I'm In Canada not Alaska for f*ck 'sake.

Talk about a deal killer.

Thank you Jenson. Support you LBS guys.

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    Perhaps you could thank your Canadian Customs Dept?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Nashbar is even worse.
    Almost everything I order comes from the UK - much cheaper shipping. BlueSky isn't too bad when they have a deal you just have to have.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Perhaps you could thank your Canadian Customs Dept?
    Customs doesn't charge shipping - just duty and taxes depending on what the package is. I find that UPS always charges some outrageous brokerage fee for clearing your item through the border - that is why I do not buy from online retailers that only use UPS. There are a lot of retailers in the US that have very reasonable shipping rates to Canada. I buy a lot from those retailers.

mtbr member
    I have used Jensons to Canada several times (for the convenence of knowing i will not have to pay extra duties/charges when the package arrives), but I only order smaller (read: lighter) stuff. I had looked at buying a stand from them, but shipping killed that deal (found canadian shop with free shipping promo).

what are you trying to buy? Is it heavy stuff, or over-taxed stuff (tires/shoes/clothes)?
    '02 Rockhopper Comp
    '11 Specialized Epic Comp 26

Trail Ninja
    I don't sell personal used stuff to Canada since everyone there goes nuts when I tell them shipping is gonna be like $20 for a single small item shipped very slowly or $40 for 6-10 day shipping (over $50 for a bigger box). The guys who opted for $20 usually run out of patience and complain and sometimes try to cancel the order. I don't have the accountability I need to deal with disputes about packages that haven't been received and can basically lose out on the item if someone complains (they get their money back and maybe even the item, if they're not honest about it when it arrives, and Canadians, in my experience as a seller, seem to prefer to be dishonest than to be considered wrong). Basically, it's a pain in that ass I'd like to avoid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    I don't sell personal used stuff to Canada since everyone there goes nuts when I tell them shipping is gonna be like $20 for a single small item shipped very slowly or $40 for 6-10 day shipping (over $50 for a bigger box). The guys who opted for $20 usually run out of patience and complain and sometimes try to cancel the order. I don't have the accountability I need to deal with disputes about packages that haven't been received and can basically lose out on the item if someone complains (they get their money back and maybe even the item, if they're not honest about it when it arrives, and Canadians, in my experience as a seller, seem to prefer to be dishonest than to be considered wrong). Basically, it's a pain in that ass I'd like to avoid.
    That is a true statement - if you have to deal with customs on either side of the border you have to be patient.
    If I am buying from a US seller I let them know I am not going to make a fuss if I do not receive the item right away.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Nashbar is even worse.
    Almost everything I order comes from the UK - much cheaper shipping. BlueSky isn't too bad when they have a deal you just have to have.
    Exactly. With Bluesky I pay sales taxes and decent shipping. But at most it can add 20% to the order and the deal would still worth it. But in jenson case its over 100%.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Wheel and tires. Sure are oversized. And Jenson uses UPS too.

mtbr member

Are they insane ?

This is the reason I always envy people lived in the US :-(

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phiu-x View Post
    Wheel and tires. Sure are oversized. And Jenson uses UPS too.
    As I said, when it is smaller, less taxes stuff, the up-front UPS shipping method is not terrible. I have had a couple bad eBay shocks, so I'm personally ok with paying a bit more upfront to not have to worry about it. Tires and shoes seem to be heavily taxes by revenue canada, found that from CRC in the UK too. If you live close to the boarder, most ports have a service close to them that you can ship too and then pick up and take over the border yourself and pay duty at that time. Saves a bit, however, not was much as if you are in the states over 24hrs.
    '02 Rockhopper Comp

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by J0hnnie View Post
    This is the reason I always envy people lived in the US :-(
    It's not that rosey on this side of the border, mate! although, I did buy a part for a Canadian friend which cost me $27.XX shipped to my door verses $90 if he bought from his LBS. I sell my tools world wide and the most frustrating thing is when the customer thinks I can control shipping time and customs. In January this year, USPS doubled there rates for international shipping which definitely slowed down my international sales.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Shipping prices are rising few last years. Missing the days of 20$ flat fees at pricepoint. Usually Jenson's shipping fees are fair and include taxes/duties : no surprises. Just bought from Jenson a helmet+chain+housing+small parts and shipping is 30$.

I buy more often on ebay. You can sort by price+ shipping: lower first and I have paypal protection.
    Varaxis: and I'm an honest Canadian.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by snoroqc View Post
    Shipping prices are rising few last years. Missing the days of 20$ flat fees at pricepoint. Usually Jenson's shipping fees are fair and include taxes/duties : no surprises. Just bought from Jenson a helmet+chain+housing+small parts and shipping is 30$.

I buy more often on ebay. You can sort by price+ shipping: lower first and I have paypal protection.
    Varaxis: and I'm an honest Canadian.
    Jensons uses UPS Worlwide super duper fast shipping for Canada. Add an oversize item and it becomes a deal breaker . . . I would'nt mind normal usps ground shipping to save $$. It would have easily cost me 100$ less in the case of my last Jenson cart. I don't have this problem with others like BlueSky, because they offer simple usps ground (and slow) shipping. Oh and I'll happily pay any taxes and custums because the deals are that good even when you add those.

So Jenson : please offer other (cheaper) shipping options.

I don't care for fast shipping. If I want fast, I go to my LBS.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bikingmat View Post
    (found canadian shop with free shipping promo).
    What shop ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snoroqc View Post
    What shop ?
    Triathlon Store | Buy Gear for Triathletes Online in CANADA

Have same promo right now (spend 100$ and get free shipping - notice on left hand side of page with the code).

Not a mtb store, but decent selection of Park Tools, plus some other bike stuff to browse through.
    '02 Rockhopper Comp

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bikingmat View Post
    Triathlon Store | Buy Gear for Triathletes Online in CANADA

Have same promo right now (spend 100$ and get free shipping - notice on left hand side of page with the code).

Not a mtb store, but decent selection of Park Tools, plus some other bike stuff to browse through.
    Thanks.
    Theses use USPS first class ship rate (cheap):
    Outside Outfitters (slow shipping but good prices)
    Bikes, Bike Parts, Cycling Clothing & Accessories. Hop on! - Bikewagon one order with them but ebay powerseller

In Canada:
    tbsbikeparts.com Limited selection but good prices.

mtbr member
    Wiggle and chainreaction both have free shipping to Canada when certain amounts are spent (I think $200).

I will no longer deal with US mail orders - they are too greedy on the shipping side of things.

mtbr member
    +1^^ on using CRC or wiggle. I can use my works brokerage warehouse in NY to bring stuff up from the states but I have to pay duty and taxes every time where if you use CRC or wiggle a lot of the stuff comes through with no customs or duty fees.