Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005

Terrible ebay seller >> evaevamei <<

Just wanted to share my experience with ebay seller, evaevamei.

I bought a set of Hygia SLP brakes from this seller on ebay, and paid for them instantly. (this is mid July) Three weeks later, they arrive, and 6 days after that, I install them on a new bike build. Initially they work fine, but I notice they get spongy after a couple of days riding. I noticed a tiny bit of brake fluid leak at the caliper, and gave the the hose fitting an extra snug, figuring it came from there.

Next day, same thing. More brake fluid. I decided to bleed the brakes, give them a thorough inspection, and installed a new set of pads. (the originals got oil on them.) I managed to get a little bit of brake feel out of them, and took the bike to a race. The rear brakes failed completely during the race, and I had to finish using the fronts only.

I contacted evaevamei through ebay, and they answered back that I purchased them more than a month before reporting a problem with them. I explained that they were still brand new, and most of that time was from shipping from China.
    evaevamei would not budge, or offer any explanation, except that they would not warrantee the brakeset. I asked them if they could offer any assistance, like sending a replacement seal kit, or caliper, or if I could purchase a replacement caliper for a discount. The only reply I got after that was, "sorry".

I got a one word response, when I really needed some support, and to top it off, I was a repeat customer of theirs. I had purchased quite few items from them over the last few years.

Just wanted to warn others about their business practices in case you were considering doing any business with evaevamei.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I have often thought of purchasing an item from CHINA, thanks for warning me. I will take my chances buying Chinese goods through a reputable dealer. At least Jenson, Price Point, Competitive Cyclist...etc, warranties their products. I always wonder if the " too good to be true " deals from CHINA are genuine parts, rejects, or pirated to look like name brands. Who Knows? Thanks for warning. I like XT brakes.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Isn't it more of the manufacturer's problem than the ebay seller? Traditionally: if the seller is a registered dealer then it would be their problem. If the seller is not a dealer, then you've more or less bought it second hand.

I guess that's part of the problem buying stuff direct from overseas - you don't really know who you're buying from. Is this seller a dealer? Does this company have dealers? Is this a legit product or a knockoff?

+1 on XT brakes. Or even SLX. I have both and they both rock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    They are not advertised as an authorized dealer which would handle your issue. They list a 14 day return policy on an un-used item - your item is used. Technically they are following their listing practice even though it doesn't beneift you. Buying on ebay, especially from an overseas seller, really leaves you w/ no options in the event of a defective product. I'd try and contact Hygia.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Sales attitudes are a little different in China. It's not about repeat business.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    Sales attitudes are a little different in China. It's not about repeat business.

They really dont care as long as they get their money

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    Yeah I wasn't expecting much, but I didn't expect to get totally shut down without any option. I was a repeat customer, so I thought that would've given some weight to my issue. I can't contact Hygia for any sort of warrantee, only to get replacement parts, and I really don't know exactly what the root cause is, so I don't want to order random replacement parts. I'll probably order a whole new caliper eventually and use these brakes on another bike. *sigh*

I already ordered a set of Formula R1 brakes from a different vendor with a warrantee, so I know what I'm getting. Now I have to miss a race that I was looking forward to, this weekend....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I ordered my Hygia Usagi brakeset directly from the Hygia web store, cheaper than Ebay. I ordered the bleed kit (separately) my order got delayed and when I contacted Hygia customer service they were very apologetic and even sent me a free set of pads as a gift. I would contact them and see if you can get some warranty help. I have purchased two carbon frames from mainland China and a bunch of carbon goodies from Taiwan and have been very happy so far.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogrover View Post
    Yeah I wasn't expecting much, but I didn't expect to get totally shut down without any option. I was a repeat customer, so I thought that would've given some weight to my issue. I can't contact Hygia for any sort of warrantee, only to get replacement parts, and I really don't know exactly what the root cause is, so I don't want to order random replacement parts. I'll probably order a whole new caliper eventually and use these brakes on another bike. *sigh*

I already ordered a set of Formula R1 brakes from a different vendor with a warrantee, so I know what I'm getting. Now I have to miss a race that I was looking forward to, this weekend....
    With all due respect, if you want to buy from a seller who respects customer loyalty - ebay probably isn't the way to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    With all due respect, if you want to buy from a seller who respects customer loyalty - ebay probably isn't the way to go.
    +1

And don't expect eBay to back you up. Their buyers protection plan is a total joke. When there is a dispute they just pick one side and the loser is SOL.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
    +1

And don't expect eBay to back you up. Their buyers protection plan is a total joke. When there is a dispute they just pick one side and the loser is SOL.
    FWIW I had very good luck in a similar case: a Chinese-sold WTB Rocket V that said it had Kevlar corners (the pictures looked like what I'd seen in stores) but didn't. They refused to do anything, so I opened a case. Because the cost of shipping it back from the US was more than even the cost of the saddle itself, ebay didn't require me to send it back and they refunded the full amount.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogrover View Post
    (
    Do you know HOW many sales they have had ? Repeat customer means something at a car dealership maybe, or a local bike store, but to an ebay reseller that has had 2232 positive feedback for the past 12 months... what exactly does he/she need to care about someone like you?! Also ALL the auctions are run as private listings and that's a flag right there to anyone with any common sense that they're dealing with a seller who's gonna try and hide what his past transactions were.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    immediately file a snad with ebay and post a negative review. This is the only thing that will get the ball rolling with some ebay sellers. There is a reason they have good ratings, they work to maintain it.

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for all the advice!
    I'm done trying to deal with evaevamei. I'll try and take Rob's advice and contact Hygia directly to see if I can make a useable set of brakes for my spare bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for reminding me why I shop at my LBS. Or worst case if they don't have it, Jenson or similar.