mtbr member
    May 2011

Taxes / Fees when purchasing outside USA?

Are there taxes / fees that need to be paid (customs / duty) when purchasing bike components outside of USA? Specifically from either wiggle or chainreaction.
    Sorry not sure where to post this but I did just see that wiggle has an extra10 off everything. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    In thailand I pay 25+ percent import duty when I order from Chain reaction

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Usually no charges

I had a problem when they did me a favor and upgraded my order to dhl shipping. that was the only time i paid customs. standard shipping from CRC made it through without a problem. be sure to look at Go1bike.fr also from france.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mtngt View Post
    Are there taxes / fees that need to be paid (customs / duty) when purchasing bike components outside of USA? Specifically from either wiggle or chainreaction.
    Sorry not sure where to post this but I did just see that wiggle has an extra10 off everything. Thanks!

If you are a private individual in the USA, no, there is no general import duty for incoming personal shipments from overseas (nor is there any general export duty for outgoing shipments to private individuals in other countries). There are specific commodities which may be regulated, prohibited or restricted for import and export (eg; counterfeits, embargoed materials, products of sheltered industries [cars, machinery], hazmat, yadda yadda), but most consumer goods to private individuals get a free pass in the USA.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I believe any duties that need to be paid will be paid by the seller - if so the seller will charge you / upfront. I think this is only applies to buying from a business as was stated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have ordered from Wiggle.com (UK) and had no charges and got free shipping, but i did pay the extra $6 for priority dispatch. Took about 5 working days to receive my pedals and had the best price even beating US retailers ($116 to my door).

mtbr member
    I also bought some pedals from Wiggle. There weren't any extra fees and shipping was free but they did get hung up in customs for 8 days, so be aware that it occasionally happens.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtngt View Post

Never had to pat customs

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by freaky-styley View Post
    I had a problem when they did me a favor and upgraded my order to dhl shipping. that was the only time i paid customs. standard shipping from CRC made it through without a problem. be sure to look at Go1bike.fr also from france.

Really?????

go1bike.com/go1bike.fr experiences?
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

Ow!
    Officially (legally) there are some duty fees on some bike parts shipped from outside the US. I think it is just "luck" that parts that have fees do not get charged. I have made a few orders from oversees. Most parts do not have fees, but there have been a few that Custom's fee schedule says should have. I seem to remember that some folks said they were charged by customs (in other threads). And I think usually the fee is the responsibility of the buyer, but the seller may offer this "service". But I am not certain because, fortunately, I have not had to pay any fees.

If that interested, you can check here:

Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States

This section doesn't cover all bike parts, but seems most.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I ordered a wheelset from wiggle (UK) just last week. I got my order in 4 days with free shipping and no customs fees or anything. Great service and great price. Just keep in mind the time difference when ordering if you order before 2:00 p.m. their time it will ship that day.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    There are two thresholds for examination - one is above ~$200 , other is above ~$2000. Anything below #1 won't have duties. Between #1 and #2 it's possible but unlikely. Above #2, you will have them applied and the package will probably be analyzed closely and you need to make sure import papers were properly filed to your advantage.

The other poster gave the proper link for the duty schedule. Many items are not taxed very strongly - many may have no taxation at all (eg, tires).

src #1 : USITC - FAQS
    src #2 : Internet Purchases - CBP.gov

Post your experience after your receive your order, I've had success with cheap Wiggle orders, no taxes.

edit : as an aside, you can get hit if the shipper has a flat fee for bypassing duties and preparing the papers. UPS has done this to me. Their brokering fee can be worse than the duty but as an aside it may speed up passing through customs if that was going to happen. You need to know this up front, especially if you would not have had anything applied normally. I think Canadians have a too frequent experience with that issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Thanks for poiting that out, was checking them atm!

On topic, I usually never have any problem with import taxes if it is not being delivered by dhl, I don't know why but dhl and import taxes usually are handed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Over the last three or four years I've ordered from CRC four times and have never been charged import duty/taxes. I just placed an order with them last Wednesday for a crankset, and it arrived today (west coast).

~8 years ago, my wife and I bought some Christmas ornaments while we were in Germany (famous year-round Christmas store in Rothenburg [Kathe Wohlfahrt])... the store was setup to hold the shipments until the buyers were back home before shipping, and it made it VAT free (rather than having to get a VAT refund when leaving the EU). Once it arrived we had to pay ~10% duty before the Post Office would give up the package. I'm not sure if Christmas ornaments/craftwork was one of the specific things that does get taxed, or if the store just filled out all the paperwork thoroughly enough that we got hit with it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Looks like as long as i dont use/select dhl, there should be no addl cost.