Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

talking to your LBS

anyone got any tips and tricks on how to talk to the reps at your LBS to get a better price on a bike?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Bring them beer and get them drunk....
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

himom!
    Apr 2006
    Wait until fall/winter.

Seriously, why would they want to give a break now on brand new bikes at the beginning of the riding season?

mtbr member
    ask for discounts on other things. margin on bikes is small. we won't drop the price on a new bike unless it can be found in the area, in stock, at a lower price.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    ask for discounts on other things. margin on bikes is small. we won't drop the price on a new bike unless it can be found in the area, in stock, at a lower price.
    what do you mean by "other things?

Fearing the Reaper
    2 words: Race Resume.

Ask for them to sponsor you (given you are a solid rider and will represent the shop in the light that they would represent themselves).

Or just buy last years bike on sale, haggle with them some more until they realize what a PITA you are and they just want you out the door, you both go your separate ways, then they squeeze you in maintenance costs whereby you eventually allow them the profit you would have provided in the first place, not to mention establishing a good relationship from the start (which would pay dividends in the long run).

And, like Noah mentioned....beer.

mtbr member
    "other things" = accessories.

if you don't plan on buying any accessories, i really wouldn't expect to get a deal on a bike.

beer will work on mechanics, but not on sales staff.

Ride Everything
    Anyone got any tips and tricks on how to talk to the reps at your grocery store to get a better price on a gallon of milk?
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighMark
    Anyone got any tips and tricks on how to talk to the reps at your grocery store to get a better price on a gallon of milk?

haha, good one

Aquaman
    What is the "margin" for bikes? and while we are at it whatís the margin for accessories.

And to the Op. What kind of bike are you looking at? In my experience the more expensive the bike is the more of a discount they are likey to give you on the bike.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    At my favorite LBS it's simple, I stop in or call and say "Hey Brian, What's the best price you can get me on..." It's never retail and always a smokin deal.

Its got what plants crave
    Have your buddy distract the guy at the counter while you sneak out the back door. I find I can typically get 100% off MSRP that way.

local trails rider
    Depends on the shop.

Visit often enough that they remember you. Ask questions, talk to them, but not when they are too busy with lots of customers. Buy something, at least occasionally.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=perttimeVisit often enough that they remember you. Ask questions, talk to them, but not when they are too busy with lots of customers. Buy something, at least occasionally.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Also, I'll say I simply won't knickel-and-dime them. It's important to me that the shop exists, so I want them to do well. If that means I spend an extra ten or twenty bucks here and there over an online shop, so be it. The shops help keep the local scene alive, and help keep our sport credible.

One thing I've done is offer cash for deeper discounts. I won't press it, but I've had luck offering cash and getting another hundred off a complete bike.

Wanderer
    Buy used. Keep your eye out and a smoking deal will be had for at least 50% off msrp.

FriendlyNeighborhoodMTBer
    Depends on a lot of things. Like the time of year. If they're clearing out last years model to make room for the new ones, they might be amenable.
    Perhaps you can also tell them that you'll be working on your bike and won't be bothering their service department with free tune ups and adjustments.
    Try and find a friend and tell them you're buying two (or three).
    Do you live in a high rent district? MSRP is MSRP regardless if you live in CA or ND. Move to a low overhead state.
    Tell them you'll put in a full day's worth of work at their next trail maintenance day.
    (Repeat) If there's more XTR, there's more wiggle room.
    If times are tough and merchandise ain't moving, ask nicely. Most of the time, it's better to turn last year's inventory into cash for next year's model.
    Last edited by kabayan; 04-07-2008 at 12:40 PM.

The Hutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Linga115
    anyone got any tips and tricks on how to talk to the reps at your LBS to get a better price on a bike?
    The mark up on a new bike at the LBS isn't that much they make there money on service, parts and ect.. I would just buy a used one from the LBS like others have said and build a relationship with them.. Then the next time you buy you will get a sweet deal and have service free most of the time..

Aquaman
    What is the mark up????? on bikes and accessories. Why do I have a feeling itís at least 35%-50%

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ffwlwhite
    What is the "margin" for bikes? and while we are at it whatís the margin for accessories.

And to the Op. What kind of bike are you looking at? In my experience the more expensive the bike is the more of a discount they are likey to give you on the bike.
    im specifically looking at a stumpjumper. just doing my research at several LBS's so far. just to see who would offer the best deal.

to jim311... LOL

bi-winning
    Offer to pay cash if you can.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

The Hutch
    What is the mark up????? on bikes and accessories. Why do I have a feeling itís at least 35%-50%
    let me put it this way when I bought my heckler in January of this year, I got a 20% discount
    cause I am a team member and built a relationship with the LBS and they told me it ended up costing them little under $100.00 so I think the mark up depends on the bike, but my guess is under 20%

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Mark-up and margin are differnet things. If you sell things for a 35% (even 50%) markup you'll go broke and out of business pretty fast.

The bicycle industry is the same as any business, you sell things at a profit over cost and use the money to grow your business, pay employees, interest on debt, and so forth. I think too many people think that (for example) the profit a bike shop makes off a bike sale goes straight to the pockets of the owner. Once everyone has gotten thier piece of the pie there usually ain't too much left.

If you want to get a good deal then buy the stuff thats marked as being on sale (seasonal leftovers, ec.). Everyone is happy with that, you get a good deal and the shop gets rid of unwanted overhead. If you are looking for the best deal on a Stumpjumper - I think most shops are bound by Specialized to sell at a certain price minimum. Any shop that is willing to give you a smoking deal on a current M.Y. bike is probably either in hot water, about to lose the dealership, or desparate for business due to bad business practices.

My $.02....
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I never ask for a discount!

I am always offered a discount and its usually pretty good. The catch is I spend lots of cash at the two local LBS's. And I get great service when I need it. I also spend a chunk online also because sometimes some parts are just to hard to get or the deal online is too hard to pass up.

And once in a while I do drop a case of beer off also

And If my wife reads any of this she will....

Aquaman
    Well let me just say that I have never worked at a bike shop. I used to work for a major outdoor equipment supply store. The mark up was about 100% on everything. Clothes, snow shoes, hiking boots, snowboards, kayaks, watches, bike parts, there bikes, and everything else sold there. Now when I go to buy ANYTHING I do not want to pay msrp ever. Unless I need it rite now or its something in very high demand. Now I have to say I am not "that" guy who wants a deal all or most of the time. The two times I have tried to make a "deal" on a bike came out with mixed results. 1st time (great bike store in auburn) I tell him my price range and he shows me some bikes and then shows me a SC blur. I loved that bike but kinda over what I told him I wanted to spend. So I asked him how flexible he was on the price and I even offered to forgo the single tune up bike shops offer these days. He then goes on to tell me that his profit margin on SC is not very much and offers 10-15% off. Sweet. 2nd time was at maybe the best bike shop in the south bay. It is easily the best shop I have ever been to. Again I told him my range and he showed me something more. I said it's outside my budget, do you have any wiggle room. It's like time stopped rite there, he looked rite at me and said" no...That is not the way we do business, we deal in very high end bikes and excellent service and parts selection. If you want a "to deal" you should go to the store down the street who mite not be there next month". He did not tell any boring stories about profit margins or anything like that, just straight up and very very polite. Now let me finish and get off my soap box saying there is nothing wrong with asking for a discount especially when you are buying today’s $2500+ Mt. bikes, people just want to feel like there getting something on sale that’s all.

Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    I said it's outside my budget, do you have any wiggle room. It's like time stopped rite there, he looked rite at me and said" no...That is not the way we do business, we deal in very high end bikes and excellent service and parts selection. If you want a "to deal" you should go to the store down the street who mite not be there next month".
    I got an answer like that before, just a little more rude. Guess what, I went to the other store, got the discount, got the bike, got the equipment, got two friends to buy bike and equipment from them and I'll buy a second bike, all in one year. I hate buying from places that have attitudes like "I'm making you a favor for selling you this". When I have a choice I don't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast