mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Sun Ringle Charger Pro 29er Wheelset at CRC

Just pulled the trigger on these. Black are $403 w/free shipping to the states (white are $482).

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Same here. Didn't really have the money at the moment but I've been waiting for this deal for a while now. I just got some BFPs for my 26 and LOVE them.

mtbr member
    Great price, the 2012 Charger Experts are also an awesome bargain.

Sun Ringle Charger Expert 29er Wheelset 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

I paid only $30 less last year for my 2012 set and I've been loving them a lot more than my previous Hope/Mavic EX721 wheelset, definitely cheaper too.

They set up wonderfully tubeless, and being an aggressive rider @6'4" and 240 lbs, the Sun Ringle Charger Experts have been trouble-free and straight for this whole season. Only upgrade I would recommend is to get the cromoly freehub body for them, especially with a 12-36 or 11-36 cassette. I've had noises and issues with the stock aluminum freehub, but it's smooth sailing with the cromoly upgrade.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Where do you pick that cassette body? I've never seen that before but I'd replace mine after it chunks out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    NM. Answer my own question. Nice deal btw.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Great price, the 2012 Charger Experts are also an awesome bargain.

Sun Ringle Charger Expert 29er Wheelset 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

I paid only $30 less last year for my 2012 set and I've been loving them a lot more than my previous Hope/Mavic EX721 wheelset, definitely cheaper too.

They set up wonderfully tubeless, and being an aggressive rider @6'4" and 240 lbs, the Sun Ringle Charger Experts have been trouble-free and straight for this whole season. Only upgrade I would recommend is to get the cromoly freehub body for them, especially with a 12-36 or 11-36 cassette. I've had noises and issues with the stock aluminum freehub, but it's smooth sailing with the cromoly upgrade.
    What makes you like it better than your Hope/Mavic EX721 wheelset? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thechez View Post
    Where do you pick that cassette body? I've never seen that before but I'd replace mine after it chunks out.
    Sun Ringle Freehub Body - Disc Jockey 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Sun Ringle part number DJ 0889

In retrospect, I just should have ordered mine from CRC, as when I placed my order via LBS, Sun-Ringle shipped the wrong freehub first, and it took over 2 weeks to get finally the bike rolling. No price difference between the two either lol.

Quote Originally Posted by sneakyt View Post
    What makes you like it better than your Hope/Mavic EX721 wheelset? Thanks.
    My Hope wheelset had bearing play in the front from new, with a Rockshox 20mm Maxle and Fox's 20QR system. I had to buy new bearings from the get-go. Also I've had more of a rim wobble with the Mavics after a season than I have now with the Sun-Ringles. Nothing has changed, not my riding style, nor my weight. Which is very surprising because at first I was very hesitant about the Charger's 28 spoke count vs 32 on the Mavics.

The Experts I paid $300 for and they've been a bargain, that's why I like them a lot more. The Hopes/Mavic were close to $500 and I didn't notice anything drastic in terms engagement from Hope's premium hub. But they sure sounded nice.

The Sun-Ringles have a similar freehub noise if anyone's curious, just a bit quieter. You'd be hard pressed to find a better performing 29er wheelset under $400.

But if I was building a new custom wheelset from scratch, it would be Hope Pro 2 EVO hubs and Stan's Flow EX rims. But if we're talking about off the shelf ready wheelsets, just another Sun-Ringle Charger Expert wheelset please and save quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Oh wow. Thanks for the link. I hadn't realized they were so spendy. I suppose Universal would have access to them. Luckily I live in Portland so I have access to every bike part available through them. I even found the 10x135 rear axles for these wheels from them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thechez View Post
    Oh wow. Thanks for the link. I hadn't realized they were so spendy. I suppose Universal would have access to them. Luckily I live in Portland so I have access to every bike part available through them. I even found the 10x135 rear axles for these wheels from them.
    Spendy indeed but on par with other freehub bodies I suppose. Hope's pricing is the same for replacements.

And I love Universal, they are my number one online LBS and go-to website. Huge inventory and never had to bother price-matching with their VIP15 coupon.

Care to share that 10x135 axle for this wheelset? Is it for the Pros only? I don't think (or at least found any proof online yet) that the 2011 Experts can be converted in the rear. I know the new stuff is fully convertible.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    This is what Schmitty told me via email:

Please reference part #281-25122-Bolt when placing your order.

Oh and I was wrong. It's $30. I'd assume it's for the Pros only. I don't know that for certain though.

Competent User
    Ouch. I bought some a couple months ago for around $500.

Great wheels though. Rolls like a MF'er.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I still think they are easily worth $500. They roll so fast sometimes I have to hit the brakes. I've heard some people complain about the bearings not being sealed well enough though. Seen some posts on that. Bearings are cheap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

update

things aren't going so smoothly. picked up the wheelset at the post office today after missing delivery yesterday, and when i opened it up the 15mm end caps and skewers weren't in the box (everything else seemed to be in order). i sent CRC an email requesting the missing parts be sent out, but haven't heard anything back yet. this is kind of a big deal for me, since the 15mm end caps are the ones i need to get rolling, and the skewers are gonna replace some truly crappy ones.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rocktownrook View Post
    things aren't going so smoothly. picked up the wheelset at the post office today after missing delivery yesterday, and when i opened it up the 15mm end caps and skewers weren't in the box (everything else seemed to be in order). i sent CRC an email requesting the missing parts be sent out, but haven't heard anything back yet. this is kind of a big deal for me, since the 15mm end caps are the ones i need to get rolling, and the skewers are gonna replace some truly crappy ones.
    You might want to give Sun Ringle a call too. I've found their phone guys to be very helpful.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Did you get slapped with any customs fees? I got hit with a $35 customs fee. Didn't turn into the greatest deal after that. Might just sell them now as I might abandon my 29er anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

update cont'd

no customs fee/duty for me, at least not yet (i understand they can track you down after the fact).

CRC replied quickly and said they'd send the missing skewers and 15mm adapter out today, plus a 5 GBP voucher for the trouble. so, things are looking up.

mtbr member
    Down to $386 now, what a bargain!!!!!!