Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The White Jeff W

Sun Ringle Charger Pro 29er wheelset $385/Free shipping

Chain Reaction Cycles

$425 + 10% off with code USDNOV (in caps)

Sun Ringle Charger Pro 29er Wheelset 2012 | Chain Reaction Cycles

I have the 650B version. Excellent light AM wheel roughly equal to Stans Flows all taped up & ready to go. Smooth rolling hubs with all the adapters for the different axle standards & straight pull spokes.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Good price.

Did you pick a set for the Satori?

The White Jeff W

Re: Sun Ringle Charger Pro 29er wheelset $385/Free shipping

No. I really want a wider wheel on it but just don't have the $ right now. Very tempting though
    No moss...

The White Jeff W
    Looks like the code is expired but still a pretty good deal at $425. Or you can have Stans Flow EX wheels on Hope Pro II Evo hubs for $432/free shipping, even with the XX1 freehub!

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=13283{14531}32999
    No moss...

mtbr member
    That vendor has the best Hope pricing around. If I was buying a wheelset that's not carbon today, I'd look no further. If I was buying today and didn't stumble upon a set of $300 Charger Experts like I did, Hope/Flow for sure.

The White Jeff W
    I know. You dont even see the old Hope/Flow wheels at that price.

Im considering relacing my Black Flags with a wider rim, problem is the hubs are 28 spoke. I see Stans has a straight pull 28 hole Flow wheelset but I havent been able to find just the rims. Sun Ringle doesnt seem to have a 28 hole equivalent to the Charger rim on their site either.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Jeff, my buddy bent my Charger 28H rim using his garage/Subaru/bike rack and the only way I could find a replacement rim was to call up Sun Ringle and get the part number for a new rim and have the local shop order it.

The White Jeff W
    Thanks for the tip. Any idea how much it cost?
    No moss...

The White Jeff W

Saw that this morning. I emailed Sun Ringle last week about getting the 28 hole Charger rims to replace my Black Flag rims. They said $200 for the pair and Id have to replace the spokes since the ERD is different. Not worth the hassle IMO.

I bit the bullet, did some creative accounting and ordered a set of the Hope Pro 2/Flow EX wheels from Merlin. After adding in the 142x12 hub adapters it was $425 shipped to the US.

Really didn't need to spend the $ right now but that Satori really deserves the wider rims lol.

Oh well, I have some extra parts lying around that should cover the cost.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Awesome buy. Like I said in a previous thread, if the Sun Ringle Chargers didn't come up 2 years ago for $300, I would have been on the Hopes/Flow for about $150 more at the time. Plus with the new 40T pawls, that combo is hard to beat IMO.

mtbr member
    Seems like you guys know where to find 29er Trail Wheelsets. I need 29er wheels 20mm front and 12x142 rear.

Narrowed it down to Hope/Flows vs. Chargers as they seem like good quality and are in my price range $500 max.

Merlin Hope/Flows = $547.10
    Cyclesports Hope/Flows = $442.66
    Chain Reaction Hope/Flows = $514.48
    Chain Reaction Charger Pros = $435.49
    Jenson USA Charger TR = $450 ( CA tax + shipping overcharge)

I'm leaning towards the Charger TRs from Jenson based on coming with tape, valves and all adapters for 15/20/qr and 10x135/12x142 + I think they look less loud than the Charger Pros. I'm not concerned about J-bend vs. straight pull and not too concerned about butted vs. straight spokes between the Pros and these TRs.

Can anyone offer any performance comparison between Hopes and Chargers and maybe some advice that will help me make a decision?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I've seen those Charger TR before on Jenson. And only on Jenson. To me they look like some sort of OE take-offs. Can't find any info about them or on Sun Ringle's website. As for being less loud, it's all a sticker peel away anyway from a stealth looking black rim. I peeled off mine quick from the Chargers.

But if I was in the market today for new wheels, definitely would buy Hope Pro 2 Evos / Stans Flow EX. Especially with the newer upgraded 40T ratchet hubs that Hope now offers.

mtbr member
    Sun ringle customer rep told me that the TR rims, hubs and bearings are identical to the pros in quality with the only difference being straight pull butted spokes vs j bend spokes. He said the TRs were made for Niner and have 24 poe. So, the hopes from cycle sports come with 40 poe or is that an aftermarket add on? Are charger rims equal to flows?

The White Jeff W
    Flow EX's are wider. Got mine a few days ago but haven't gotten them mounted yet.

For info, the Hope/Flows from Cyclesports UK came with 9mm Q/R front & rear + the 15mm adapters for the front and 2 extra spokes for each wheel. No rim tape or valves. I had to order a 142x12 adapter for the rear which I think was $12 or $15 bucks.

The 650B Sun Ringle Charger Pro's I bought in the spring came with rim tape and valves installed and 2 small bottles of Stans plus 9mm, 15mm and 20mm adapters for the front and 9mm & 142x12 for the rear.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    How are the new Flow EX in comparison to the Charger rim? I know the Charger profile was much taller than the older Flows which I ordered before the Chargers went on sale.

mtbr member
    So, comparing apples to apples (all adapters qr,15,20,10,12 and with valves, tax, shipping):

Hope/Flows @ Cycle Sports (40 poe,weight unsure) = $518
    Charger Pros @ CRC (straight pull spokes, 24 poe, 1850 g) = $463
    Charger TR @ Jenson USA (j-bend spokes, 24 poe, 1950g) = $450

Opinions???

Build is a "Traily" 130mm travel, FS Al 29er, Revelation, 1x10 drivetrain

mtbr member
    Pros I would dismiss immediately, trying to track down proper straight pull spokes in a hurry can be hard, or if you're away from home, not every LBS would be able to replace your broken spoke. Plus the red hubs don't match too many kits.

So between the Hope/Flow and Charger TR, I would go with the Flows, better POE, hold their resale value better. Now if the TRs would have been priced like my Charger Experts ($300 at the time), I would be swayed towards Chargers again. But for a mere $60+ price difference, Hopes all the way.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I was iffy on the red hubs and straight spokes, too. Gotcha on the OE TRs, Jenson calls them non OE, but Sun Ringle called them OE. Speaking of resale value, are the gunsmoke hubs risky? My frame is anodized grey and all the other kit is black or grey. Has anyone requested Cyclesports to swap out the end caps to 20/12x142?

The White Jeff W

Quote Originally Posted by carpio77b View Post

Build is a "Traily" 130mm travel, FS Al 29er, Revelation, 1x10 drivetrain

That's pretty much what my bike is. Satori is 130mm rear, 140mm front and I went with Hopes/Flows. I'm a big fan of Sun Ringles wheels but really wanted the wider Flow rim. Really you can't go wrong either way
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads up JeffW.

Bought the Hope/Flows off CycleSports. Difference in price was really just the valves and adapters, so Hopes seemed a bit better considering engagement, resale, European pedigree and custom (silver hubs) factor. Can't wait to get this build going!

JeffW - See that you have the Canfield logo as your Icon. I called Canfield about their wheels as they seemed pretty nice, but hubs are not convertible and I'd like the option to flip these new wheels between the Hammerhead and my Inbred.

The White Jeff W
    Yup I have a Yelli Screamy. 650B Charger Pro's/Hans Dampf's on it
    No moss...

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by carpio77b View Post

Hope/Flows @ Cycle Sports (40 poe,weight unsure) = $518

2070 grams
    No moss...

mtbr member
    So, about 200 grams more than the Charger Pros, which are $413 on CRC now, BTW.

On another subject, what fork are you running on the 650B Canfield? What's the BB height?

I'm running my Inbred with a 120 (I know that this is not sanctioned by On One and BB height is about 13.2" static) and am wondering if I would notice better cornering/climbing lowering my fork to 100 or if I could do a 29 front 27 rear and keep the 120 fork to lower the bb height, or just go 27 and keep the 120 or go 27 front and rear and raise fork to 140, or...

HTA on the Inbred with 29" wheels and 120 fork is 68 degrees static, which seems to be the magic number for trail riding for me in SoCal.

The White Jeff W
    Its a 140mm Manitou Tower Pro. Axle to crown is 550 mm. With the 2.35 Hans Dampfs BB sits at 12" even.
    No moss...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast