Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Sun Ringle Charger Expert 29" wheels $311

Artscyclery closeout @ $367, less 15% code SAVE15 comes out to $311, free shipping.

SUN Ringle Charger Expert 29" Wheelset 15/20/135 OE

these wheels come with tubeless tape, valves, sealant, AND front hub conversion caps to go between QR, 15mm, and 20mm.

not as light as some >$500 options, but this has to be the best bang for your buck.

Plan #123-D
    Nice find, thanks! I'm in the market for the Black Flags...but just may consider this!
    C'mon lets go for a whirl.

mtbr member
    Awesome deal, and these are the current model which means you can easily convert the rear to 142x12 unlike the 2011 Charger Experts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    On Sun Ringle's website it says you must specify QR or 15/20 and they are not interchangeable like the other models. Can anyone confirm this? or am I mistaken.

B.Ike
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Awesome deal, and these are the current model which means you can easily convert the rear to 142x12 unlike the 2011 Charger Experts.
    I was considering going into a little plastic debt on this one, but saw that it specifically says not convertible to 142x12 (honzo's on my radar for this spring). Do you know anything different? I don't see where it says 2012.
    These equal a flow and not an arch, am I right?

mtbr member
    Those are equal the Flows. The Black Flags are more like Arches. As for the 2012 bit, those are 2012 hubs, which are similar to straight-pull design which still use J-bend spokes. And I'm 99.99% confident they are easily convertible, inquired about this a while ago while asking about freehub bodies for my 2011 set.

2011 hubs look like this and are not convertible.

Last edited by eurospek; 03-11-2013 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Updated pictures

mtbr member
    The chargers with the straight pull spoke are 2012 and are changeable to 12x142. I have these same wheels (26") on my Chilcotin I just built. You just need to buy the endcaps for the rear as they dont come with like the front.

B.Ike
    still confused I guess... the rear hub on the product page looks like the one described above as not convertible and the rim matches the 2012 (as above^^)

two wheel whore
    Thanks for posting the deal blawson, and thanks for the info eurospek. Just ordered a set. Have a new WFO frame sitting in the garage.

mtbr member
    If you notice in product description at the end it links you to buy the 12x142 end caps for the rear. These are convertible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElwoodT View Post
    still confused I guess... the rear hub on the product page looks like the one described above as not convertible and the rim matches the 2012 (as above^^)
    What they list on the product page:

Looks exactly the same, focus on the hub itself. What may be confusing you is I used a 2012 front hub pic and a 2011 rear hub pic. Ignore the freehub body for now, those haven't changed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    But the front is 15/20 only correct? It's not 9mm qr, 15 & 20 compltable, is it?

mtbr member
    Correct. QR only or 15/20 only

B.Ike
    Thanks for the clarification guys. what had me confused is that when you click on the features folder on the product page, the last feature says not convertible to 142x12. Must be leftover description from the prior years model?...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes, thanks! I think their site is misleading. It also says under features "•Front 9mm, 15mm and 20mm adaptors included". I didn't see anywhere to specify which front wheel you want so I'm assuming the ones at Art's are only the 15/20 version.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I did some research and read somewhere that the 2011 Expert models were only 9 or 15/20 specific and not convertible to 142/12. The 2012 models supposedly come with 9/15/20 endcaps and are 142/12 convertible.

Now the way the product title(15/20) on the website is worded, it sounds like they might be 2011 models.

I also read that someone had the 15/20 2011 models and ordered a Mavic endcap that converted theirs to 9QR. Either way I took a chance and ordered a set.

Deere Rider
    I called Arts yesterday asking about 142X12 compatibility. The guy did some checking and called back. I was told these are 2013 model wheels (the OE 26 & 29 versions) that Intense was dumping as they are apparently going to a different wheel supplier. It was also confirmed that the 142X12 endcaps work on these wheels as they physically tried it before returning my call. I did not ask any questions about front hub compatibility 'cause if it covers 15/20, I'm satisfied. This sounds like a very good value in a highly flexible wheelset. I'm not sure that I really need them but could use a set in 26 and 29! Decisions...

mtbr member
    ^ Good detective work and awesome deal

B.Ike
    Can anyone rate the rear hub (hope>3.30>xt)
    points of engagement?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElwoodT View Post
    Can anyone rate the rear hub (hope>3.30>xt)
    points of engagement?
    I've had Hope Pro 2 on Mavic EX721 before these and I feel I've given nothing up in terms of performance.

Hope POE is 24

Sun Ringle Charger Expert POE is 30 (24 on the Charger Pros actually)

mtbr member
    hey eorospek, i've been doing a ton of research on building up a kona honzo and seen you've been making great posts on just about every thread i've found haha. currently i'm struggling between 3 wheelsets for the build:
    1) the ones here. seems like a great deal, but don't know much about em. any bearing issues and how do they compare to hopes sound? also looks like they're out of the 142 adapters
    2) hope pro2 evo/flow ex. my 1st choice, but no CRC coupon currently, and not offered at Wiggles. but still can be had under $500
    3) Easton havens. seem like a good light/stiff wheelset. Bearing issue gone with free upgrade. Don't know much about poe/sound on em. also can't bare the sight of the large lettering.

I was looking at the hope2/crest on wiggles.... but not sure if they're up to the task for my intended build. Curious if you or anyone has any comments to help me decide.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That's pretty much what I'm looking at, too. I should mention I need 15QR front / QR rear.

I like these for $311, or stan's Arch EX at bikebling for $489 + $13 adapter - 15% = $426.

I think Flow EX will be too heavy. I've decided against the Havens on grounds they're too whiz-bang and not serviceable. Plus the $500 deal could get hit with a customs charge.

Havens are 24poe and stan's 3.30 are (I stand corrected 30.
    Last edited by blawson; 03-14-2013 at 09:16 PM.

B.Ike
    ^^3.30 is a 30 poe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtysurfer View Post
    hey eorospek, i've been doing a ton of research on building up a kona honzo and seen you've been making great posts on just about every thread i've found haha. currently i'm struggling between 3 wheelsets for the build:
    1) the ones here. seems like a great deal, but don't know much about em. any bearing issues and how do they compare to hopes sound? also looks like they're out of the 142 adapters
    2) hope pro2 evo/flow ex. my 1st choice, but no CRC coupon currently, and not offered at Wiggles. but still can be had under $500
    3) Easton havens. seem like a good light/stiff wheelset. Bearing issue gone with free upgrade. Don't know much about poe/sound on em. also can't bare the sight of the large lettering.

I was looking at the hope2/crest on wiggles.... but not sure if they're up to the task for my intended build. Curious if you or anyone has any comments to help me decide.

thanks!
    For the price, the Charger Experts are tough to beat for $300. And they come with everything set up for tubeless right out of the box (tape installed, valves, sealant). I'm not sure Hopes come with all that stuff. No bearing issues have really been recorded with these unlike the Easton stuff (mine have been stellar for a season of abuse under a 250 lb rider at the time), in terms of sound, they sound pretty similar to the Hopes, loud and annoying. Just the way I like 'em, I was worried about losing that by not getting Hopes again but no worries there. Also the rim profile of the Charger rim, whether it be Expert or Pro, is more stout than the Flow rim.

For the adapters, I wouldn't worry about it, your LBS can order them pretty quickly from Sun-Ringle directly and they are quick to ship and answer calls, I've received my cromoly freehub within a week from them to my LBS.

Now when I started my Honzo, I first ordered a set of Hope Pro2 Evo / Flow from Universal Cycles, the same Hope Hoops model line that is now available from CRC and Wiggle (as neither last year offered the Flow 29 rim, CRC has introduced it just recently and I wish Wiggle would follow suit), but I returned them after dwelling on it, the price was close to $600 and I was going for a budget swap build from my previous Transition TransAM and took a gamble on the $300 set of Charger Experts. I was really worried about only 28 spokes on them and being a huge fan boy of Hope, it was painful to return them and go with these. But in the end, I'm stoked that I did.

This wheelset is tough to beat in terms of value and what it offers at its $300 pricepoint.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the help everyone, looks like I actually just got the last set from Art's!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast