Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

Sun Ringle 29er Comp deals

Looks like Nashbar has extra 20% off a few select items. These are the comp models, but still pretty good wheels for just under $250. Too bad i need 26".

Sun Ringlé Black Flag Comp 29" Mountain Wheelset - Overweight Code W

Sun Ringlé Charger Comp 29" Tubeless Mountain Wheelset - Take an Extra 20 Percent Off These Sunday Sell Off Items

mtbr member
    Those are awesome deals. Too bad too as I would've preferred a 26er set as well. But my 29er Charger Comp has been damn reliable and stout.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    DUDE thanks just got some Chargers for my Rumblefish been looking for a good deal on theses.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just FYI, there are a couple errors in the specs: these are 28 spoke wheels (not 32), and straight gauge spokes (not double butted). Actual weight is about 100g more than listed. In fact, all the Charger and Blag Flag models end up about 100g more than listed.

mtbr member
    Even with 28 spokes, they are quite stout (the Chargers) and use standard Wheelsmith spokes so replacements are easy to find.

That is a great price on some solid wheels.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    All Chargers and Black Flags are 28 hole in the 29ner sizes

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Guys look at this deal again for some reason they dropped the price. Now its 195 shipped!!!! for the wheelset!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yeah, I saw that price when I logged on this morning. Ho Lee Fuk! Couldn't pass up the deal, so I bought the Charger Comps. Being 200lbs, I figured the Chargers would be less flexy and more reliable than the Black Flags, for a very modest weight gain.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    im 250 and have these from a sale a year or two ago..ive popped 1 spoke on 2 sperate occasions but im not complaining. I paid about 250 when these were on sale

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks, good to know. What kind of riding where you doing? Any jumps/drops? Do you have to keep a close eye on spoke tension?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Breitness24 View Post
    im 250 and have these from a sale a year or two ago..ive popped 1 spoke on 2 sperate occasions but im not complaining. I paid about 250 when these were on sale
    Likewise. Purchased a set of 2011 Charger Experts 29er for my Honzo build two years ago. Also have broken two spokes, one a freak accident around the yard on the grass, and the other I definitely know I hit a rock on the trail. Easily replaceable and very easy to true as well. I started out weighing close to 270 geared up with these 2 years ago and they've held up beautifully to aggressive singletrack riding. I'm down to 200 this season and I'm expecting zero problems this year. Only thing I've upgraded was to a steel freehub body and have brand new SKF bearings ready to go in as well for this upcoming season, front and rear.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
    Thanks, good to know. What kind of riding where you doing? Any jumps/drops? Do you have to keep a close eye on spoke tension?
    Aggresive singletrack. Drops and jumps sometimes 2 feet or higher. No damage, even with my fat self over the years. I never really gave much thought about picking careful lines and the wheels have held up beautifully. I do have them trued and tensioned up once a season though.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Euro I was gonna post earlier you and i bought at the same time i remember the thread. I do lots of singletrack down here in FL at Alafia, and Boyette trails. Im pretty smooth but i do small jumps. Never look at spoke tension so I know its my fault. I just had them trued after 2 years.

mtbr member
    In for a set of Chargers at $211 after tax and shipping. Was looking at building a set with Flows and Hope Pro 2s but for the price I can get by with these for quite some time. TY for posting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Missed it. I should have grabbed them yesterday. Hope they bring them back down soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My wheelset arrived today. Living 30 minutes from Nashbar headquarters has it's advantages (and disadvantages, since I have to pay tax on my orders). As anticipated, the wheelset weight (without valves or skewers) weighs about 100 grams more than advertised on Sun Ringles website. The pleasant surprise was discovering the freehub's 30 clicks of engagement. Included were all the front wheel adapters, the tubeless valve stems, and sealant. Rims are already taped. Looks like a very nice set, especially for this price!

mtbr member
    Thank you for the information OhioPT. Is there a model number or anything else on the hub? There really isn't much information on this Comp version online AT ALL. It had me worried a little bit. It would be great if someone with some knowledge on hubs could post up some info on these. It seems like the hubs are the major part that differs from the other versions.

I did get my shipping information last night. Mine won't be here until the 22nd. Ohio to Seattle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Took the plunge and snagged a set from Nashbar, they arrived today. Glad I jumped because they sold out fast. Pretty darn impressive for two oh seven including shipping. They came with the Stan's tubeless setup and spare bushings for 15mm & 20mm through axle conversion, just wish they had instructions on mounting the bushings. Oh well, an excuse to visit the mfgr website again.
    They are well tensioned and just slightly off radial & lateral true, but certainly rideable out of the box. 28 spokes. They were well packed. The QR skewers are particularly nice, with no sharp edges to hurt my old, arthritic hands. Mine have a steel freewheel body which is NOISY, no stealth coasting up on Bambi on these!
    I just took the plunge to retry off roading, suspension forks and tubeless tires will hopefully allow me to enjoy again without taking an arse-whipping in my old age. Great and very lucky timing on these, I ordered a new Manitou Tower Pro fork right after ordering the wheels.
    Thanks to all who've posted about these wheels throughout the site, you helped me decide to stick my toes back in the water!
    Charles

mtbr member
    ^ These do not come with a steel freehub body. It will gouge like any other aluminum freehub body with a lower-end cassette. Ask me how I know. I've upgraded since to a steel freehub body.

As for the hubs, the front is a Sun Ringle Demon II hub, the rear is a Disc Jockey II hub.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    ^ These do not come with a steel freehub body. It will gouge like any other aluminum freehub body with a lower-end cassette. Ask me how I know. I've upgraded since to a steel freehub body.

As for the hubs, the front is a Sun Ringle Demon II hub, the rear is a Disc Jockey II hub.
    I'm not sure what part you are referring too, but I just checked the freehub (the part where the cassette contacts), and it's definitely steel (magnet verified). Here's the description for the Comps from the Sun Ringle website "Cartridge Bearing, w/ Cro-Moly FH Body Hubs". Now the Experts may indeed have an aluminum free hub body, but all the website says for the Experts is "Cartridge Bearing Hubs". Now I believe that the current (2012?) Comps are essentially the previous years (2011?) Experts, but maybe the freehub material is the only difference?

mtbr member
    Then it sure looks like they changed it, and a wise decision it was IMO. The 2011 Experts did indeed come with an aluminum freehub body, and for 2012, the Experts changed their hub design to mimic the Pro model. The steel freehub body set me back $89 on CRC but at least it doesn't make any noise now going uphill etc, and it still looks perfect, no gouging. Cassette installation is a breeze. Btw, is your freehub body black in color?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Just chatting to confirm that my freehub body is indeed steel. It's a dark grey color. Do you know if a Shimano 105 freehub will fit on the hub shell? I hope to ride the snot out of these wheels and have a couple extra 105 freehubs for my road bikes in the secret parts stash.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yes it will fit that is what i have on my niner with zee DH derailleur.I haven't had any issues out of it being on my Black flag pros for a 1year. If u have long cage derailleur tho it might shift a little odd (medium cage is better suited for 105 cassette.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Then it sure looks like they changed it, and a wise decision it was IMO. The 2011 Experts did indeed come with an aluminum freehub body, and for 2012, the Experts changed their hub design to mimic the Pro model. The steel freehub body set me back $89 on CRC but at least it doesn't make any noise now going uphill etc, and it still looks perfect, no gouging. Cassette installation is a breeze. Btw, is your freehub body black in color?
    Yes my Charger comps came today and the Freehub is black (steel)

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The Black Flag's are back on sale. Extra 25% off. Not as good as last week, but not bad. I asked Nashbar, and they say they are the 2013 versions with 28 spokes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The Charger Comps are back at Nashbar (at least for now) $249 + 20% off today.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast