mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Strava - 3 months Pro Free

Strava is an awesome app that uses GPS to let you compare your times on certain sections or road or trail against anyone who has ridden it before, then lines out a leaderboard. It's great for motivation. Right now, in honor of the Mellow Johnnies race recently held in Texas they are giving away 3 free months of Pro.

SubaruMJC2012

Put it in here: https://app.strava.com/account

The regular version (free) is also great. I've been using it for months and I love it.
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)
    http://www.sbtec.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks-it worked perfectly.
    2011 Dawes Deadeye | 2011 Niner EMD9 | 2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy AL

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Hmmm... I downloaded this app for my android, seems overly simplified compared to Cardio Trainer (which amazon gives away free occasionally). Doesn't seem to even do 1/4 of what Cardio Trainer can do. Does it even track your calories? Or is the Android version not as complete as the iphone version?
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by baconismidog View Post
    Strava is an awesome app that uses GPS to let you compare your times on certain sections or road or trail against anyone who has ridden it before, then lines out a leaderboard. It's great for motivation. Right now, in honor of the Mellow Johnnies race recently held in Texas they are giving away 3 free months of Pro.

SubaruMJC2012

The regular version (free) is also great. I've been using it for months and I love it.
    What are the advantages of upgrading to pro over the free version? I've been using the free one and like it a lot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceuppercut View Post
    What are the advantages of upgrading to pro over the free version? I've been using the free one and like it a lot.
    Check out this page:
    Strava | Premium Membership
    2011 Dawes Deadeye | 2011 Niner EMD9 | 2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

on Strava and calories

Quote Originally Posted by KVW View Post
    Hmmm... I downloaded this app for my android, seems overly simplified compared to Cardio Trainer (which amazon gives away free occasionally). Doesn't seem to even do 1/4 of what Cardio Trainer can do. Does it even track your calories? Or is the Android version not as complete as the iphone version?
    The android app was updated about 2 weeks ago and is 100x better than it was. Not only did it get a nice facelift and include more features they adjusted the GPS timeouts and loc-on routines so it is more accurate. The main reason I like it is that you get to compete with anyone who has ever (!) ridden the trail with the Strava app or with a Garmin device. I really like knowing that I'm not as slow as I feel.

As far as calories goes; bear with me here, it's worth it if you get all the way to the end:

It doesn't do calories per se, but it will show you energy output in kj (watts X seconds) and average wattage, both are excellent indicators of your effort. Strava also has a 'suffer score' which uses your heartrate and effort (wattage and kj) to generate a metric of how hard you were working.

Since Strava gives you kj and average power (watts) you can get calories burned on just the ride and easily enough estimate total calories burned per hour (this includes calories your body uses to keep you alive).

On this ride ( Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Lake Goodwater trail 03/03/2012 near Georgetown | Times and Records | Strava ) I burned 1358kj and averaged 120 watts for 3:08 hours. Note that 1 calorie = 4.19kj, 3600 seconds = 1 hour

Thus, JUST the biking part burned up (1358kj/4.19kj) 324 calories. This is a pretty solid number since it has no estimation in it (it's be more solid if I had a true wattage meter like a power tap hub, but I don't have a grand to shell out right now)
    Total calories burned EACH HOUR (this is an imperfect number because the human body can be anywhere from 15% to 35% efficient) = (120w x 3600 seconds) / 1000 (factor back to kilo calories) = 432
    Total calories burned on whole ride = 432 * (3 hours) = 1296 calories

An easier way to do it: Strava's kj / 4 (calorie/kj factor of 4.19) = Ride's calories. Ride's calories x 4 (assumes 25% efficiency) = Total calories or (as you see here with my much simplified and rough math)...

Total calories = Total KJ!

This is very messy and kinda makes me squirm a bit but it works out because of the variable efficiency of the human body's ability to use fuel.

So, to answer your question you can get a really quick estimate of how many calories you burned total by looking at the number of kj.

EDIT: Lol - I'm super observant today.... (see attachment)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Strava - 3 months Pro Free-strava.jpg  

Last edited by baconismidog; 03-07-2012 at 08:34 AM.
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Strava widget

Also, if you don't want to sign up for Strava but want to check out a ride report you can use the widget on my blog (in signature) to see a bit of it. You'll need to login to Strava to check out the segments and leaderboards.
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)

jct
    mtbr member
    thanks!

More Torque
    Worked great...thanks.

-D

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Sweet! Thanks for the find. Now if they were just to update their UI slightly, I could get rid of Garmin Connect forever

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Strava Heartrate

Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    Sweet! Thanks for the find. Now if they were just to update their UI slightly, I could get rid of Garmin Connect forever
    I'm waiting for them to finish up their blue ANT support, then I'll start paying for Pro for sure. They have it built in some fashion but they're still working on bugs I guess:

iPhone 4s Bluetooth Smart heart rate monitor / Suggestions / Discussion Area - Strava Support

Currently the only people with HR data are those with Garmin Edge 500 or 800 or the Garmin Forerunners.
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    The android app was updated about 2 weeks ago and is 100x better than it was. Not only did it get a nice facelift and include more features they adjusted the GPS timeouts and loc-on routines so it is more accurate. The main reason I like it is that you get to compete with anyone who has ever (!) ridden the trail with the Strava app or with a Garmin device. I really like knowing that I'm not as slow as I feel.

As far as calories goes; bear with me here, it's worth it if you get all the way to the end:

It doesn't do calories per se, but it will show you energy output in kj (watts X seconds) and average wattage, both are excellent indicators of your effort. Strava also has a 'suffer score' which uses your heartrate and effort (wattage and kj) to generate a metric of how hard you were working.

Since Strava gives you kj and average power (watts) you can get calories burned on just the ride and easily enough estimate total calories burned per hour (this includes calories your body uses to keep you alive).

On this ride ( Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Lake Goodwater trail 03/03/2012 near Georgetown | Times and Records | Strava ) I burned 1358kj and averaged 120 watts for 3:08 hours. Note that 1 calorie = 4.19kj, 3600 seconds = 1 hour

Thus, JUST the biking part burned up (1358kj/4.19kj) 324 calories. This is a pretty solid number since it has no estimation in it (it's be more solid if I had a true wattage meter like a power tap hub, but I don't have a grand to shell out right now)
    Total calories burned EACH HOUR (this is an imperfect number because the human body can be anywhere from 15% to 35% efficient) = (120w x 3600 seconds) / 1000 (factor back to kilo calories) = 432
    Total calories burned on whole ride = 432 * (3 hours) = 1296 calories

An easier way to do it: Strava's kj / 4 (calorie/kj factor of 4.19) = Ride's calories. Ride's calories x 4 (assumes 25% efficiency) = Total calories or (as you see here with my much simplified and rough math)...

Total calories = Total KJ!

This is very messy and kinda makes me squirm a bit but it works out because of the variable efficiency of the human body's ability to use fuel.

So, to answer your question you can get a really quick estimate of how many calories you burned total by looking at the number of kj.

EDIT: Lol - I'm super observant today.... (see attachment)
    Wow that is impressive. Love all the math and then the edit, lol.

No seriously though - thanks for the detailed response!
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

mtbr member
    ill stick with motionX...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Does anyone know how this compares to :

Sporttracker
    Map my Ride

or others for the android

Can the files and records be exported to the PC or another app, if you decide to change the program later etc.

can you load maps from other sources into it.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryK View Post
    Does anyone know how this compares to :

Sporttracker
    Map my Ride

or others for the android

Can the files and records be exported to the PC or another app, if you decide to change the program later etc.

can you load maps from other sources into it.

Thanks
    You can import into Strava by clicking on "Upload Activity" and "Upload a file on your computer". You can export by viewing a ride and from the "Actions" dropdown menu click "Export GPX". The problem with uploading a map to Strava is that the upload is then considered a ride you've done, so if you are just uploading something so you don't get lost you have to be sure to remove it later or your miles/achievements may be off.

I think, first and foremost, Strava is an app that is centered around competing/comparing your times to other riders/runners on the same courses. Secondarily it seems to be focused on individual performance in terms of physical measures (watts, kj, suffer score, etc.).

It can be a handy mapping application and it's helped me find quite a few new trails around here by following my buddies and the top ~5 riders on my local trails. I get to see what they ride and then head over there and check it out myself.

Strava also lets you add 'gear', like your bike or running shoes and then it'll tally the miles you put on each of those pieces of equipment (so you know exactly how many miles you have on your chain as an example).
    Last edited by baconismidog; 03-09-2012 at 10:15 AM.
    =====
    bacon (is my dog)

pedaller
    Code expired....Bummer!
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Lone Wolf McQuade

SubaruMJC2012

I must have just missed it Thanks for posting

Matt
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    still like google My Tracks for the polar HRM support etc. Can't compare against others but I don't think I want to :P

mtbr member
    May 2011
    expired oh well... Thank for the tip though