Sofa King We Todd Did

Store brand versus national brand

Anyone got any insight on store brands versus national brands when it comes to bike parts? I'm taking about 'store' brands like Supergo's Weyless brand or Price Point's Sette brand or Bike Nashbar's, well... Nashbar brand stuff.

In any case, my query is about the pricing disparity between these brands and national brands. For example, how is it possible that Supergo's Weyless brand can sell a seatpost that is for the most part identical to a seatpost from Easton or Race Face for a fraction of the price? How is is possible for Sette or Aireon to sell carbon fiber parts for a fraction of the price of comparable carbon fiber parts from more popular national brands?

Now, I'm in marketing and I know that depending on the category, some store brands items are virtually identical to national brands in terms of composition and durability. So when it comes to bike parts, are talking about marketing plain and simple here, where these are indeed comparable or even identical parts, and you're paying extra for the national brand name? Or is there a truly a deficit in quality when it comes to similar products from Weyless or Sette and the like?

Hardtail Steel Forever
    I know what you mean about a huge price difference. I have never had any problems with non-name brand products, but I haven't used a lot of them. I definately believe that a lot of the time you are paying for the name. But, on the other hand the name and the reputation is behind the product if it is a name-brand product, so you know you are probably getting a decent product. Im interested to see other peoples experiences.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

You don't sound like you shop much

Go to any store and the store brand is almost half the price of the regular brand. I laugh at the morons who are so brand loyal, 9 times out of 10 the stuff is made in the same factory!!

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Maybe you misread my post, Philo Beddoe. You've just reiterated the same point I'm asking about, so I'm not sure how I "don't sound like I shop much"...

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    Anyone got any insight on store brands versus national brands when it comes to bike parts? I'm taking about 'store' brands like Supergo's Weyless brand or Price Point's Sette brand or Bike Nashbar's, well... Nashbar brand stuff.
    It's the same as just about anything else. Go to the grocery store and buy their brand of potato chips and compare them to the name brand for 2x the price.

In any case, my query is about the pricing disparity between these brands and national brands. For example, how is it possible that Supergo's Weyless brand can sell a seatpost that is for the most part identical to a seatpost from Easton or Race Face for a fraction of the price? How is is possible for Sette or Aireon to sell carbon fiber parts for a fraction of the price of comparable carbon fiber parts from more popular national brands?
    A few reasons. They don't have as much Research and Development costs. The technologies are found and used elsewhere, then they use (copy) them. Not as much advertising and promotion costs for the product. Probably smaller profit margins as well.

and you're paying extra for the national brand name?
    That too.

Or is there a truly a deficit in quality when it comes to similar products from Weyless or Sette and the like?
    I wouldn't say a deficit. Some parts can be just as good or better. Others may be close, just not quite as good.

I've found the Performance Bike brand stuff to be pretty good quality on item's I've bought from them.

mtbr member
    I started slowly started buying into store brands.

I have priorities when build a bike and the parts that are low on my priority are the ones I buy store brands for, like headset/steerer spacers or cables. It started from there. Then I was happy with the quality, then I moved up on middle priorities items like stems and seatpost. Then I had good luck with those too. Now I just bought my first store brand frame, which is my highest priority item (frame and fork are my 2 highest priorities).

So for me it was slow and gradual success rate that led me to trust store branded stuff. Plus, if you think about it, there are only so many bike part manufacturers out there and the store stuff may have been made by the same factory as the the high end stuff.

I wouldn't trust if Price Point started their own factory somewhere, but if they hire Kinesis to make their frames (a hypothetical example so don't ask me what Kinesis Price Point frame I am talking about), then I would be ok with it.
    Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Now I just bought my first store brand frame, which is my highest priority item
    Just curious as to what brand of frame you bought and your satisfaction with it. I am in the market for a frame right now and I would rather spend as little as possible on it. For me a frame is a big step to go into the no-name brand equipment department, but if I can find a good product with good reviews I may do that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep
    Just curious as to what brand of frame you bought...
    I bought a Weyless XP frame.

I haven't built it up yet, just hanging in my closet. I am keeping my options open and still shopping around. Lot's of year end clearances right now. My main frame choice was the $599 Cambria Joker XC deal, then on a whim I test rode the Weyless and was liked the ride. This is Supergo's third year of selling Weyless branded frames and 04 was their best offerings with 5th element shocks. I've been quietly observing reviews and forum post on their frames over the years and feel like it's worth a venture at this point.

I also lived down the street from Supergo. So help is just a stroll down the street. If they were far away, I may have thought twice.
    Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

??????????

Maybe you misread my post, Philo Beddoe. You've just reiterated the same point I'm asking about, so I'm not sure how I "don't sound like I shop much"...
    Why would bike parts be any different then? There is always a price premium for a name brand. As a marketing person you already know that a brand name has a monetary value attached to it such as coke or marlboro (very hefty value) so in the end you are paying for the name. I was a drug store today and Gillette blades were $15 for 10, the store brand of the same thing was $5 for $10. Total PT Barnum factor at work.

You are going to say you know all this already, so I guess there was no need for the post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Philo Beddoe
    You are going to say you know all this already, so I guess there was no need for the post.
    Allow me to paraphrase the original poster's message so it is more easily understandable:
    Are store brands cheaper because they are of lower quality than the national brands, or are they cheaper simply because they're lesser known?
    Many times, multiple companies OEM products from the same manufacturer and/or the same factory. Those products are branded and then put at a price point that "the market will bear". This means the better known product is priced higher. Then you have products that are made of inferior material and/or workmanship, and those will be cheaper. You will need to judge for yourself whether a house brand is cheaper because of the first, or second, or a combination of the two reasons.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

OEM vs house brand

Quote Originally Posted by revemani
    Allow me to paraphrase the original poster's message so it is more easily understandable:
    Are store brands cheaper because they are of lower quality than the national brands, or are they cheaper simply because they're lesser known?
    Many times, multiple companies OEM products from the same manufacturer and/or the same factory. Those products are branded and then put at a price point that "the market will bear". This means the better known product is priced higher. Then you have products that are made of inferior material and/or workmanship, and those will be cheaper. You will need to judge for yourself whether a house brand is cheaper because of the first, or second, or a combination of the two reasons.

OEM on not house brand, and anyway, that had nothing to do with his original post. I am done with this now.

formerly ss-nyc
    Feb 2004

Nashbar parts

Now, I'm in marketing and I know that depending on the category, some store brands items are virtually identical to national brands in terms of composition and durability. So when it comes to bike parts, are talking about marketing plain and simple here, where these are indeed comparable or even identical parts, and you're paying extra for the national brand name? Or is there a truly a deficit in quality when it comes to similar products from Weyless or Sette and the like?

Nashbar house-brand
    ------------------------------
    alloy items: bars, seatpost, and stems are all Kalloy. I have used them on multiple bikes and have never had a problem. They are a great value for the price. I might just try thier carbon parts next.

brakes: v-brakes/levers and road brake calipers are all Tektro. The pads even say Tektro on them. I have also used these and think they are fine as long as you only need the so-called quality of Tektro parts which has been fine for me. The levers will not feel like Avid's but you get what you pay for.

Hope this helps.