mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Storage Rack opinions needed

I'm looking a getting a storage rack for two bikes in the garage. Quality, stability, price are all important. What's your opinion on racks you own or have seen? A buddy of mine has the Performance Bikes Aloft free standing rack that is pretty good. I want a free standing rack as well to ease rearranging the garage. Fill me in...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheeljeep
    I'm looking a getting a storage rack for two bikes in the garage. Quality, stability, price are all important. What's your opinion on racks you own or have seen? A buddy of mine has the Performance Bikes Aloft free standing rack that is pretty good. I want a free standing rack as well to ease rearranging the garage. Fill me in...
    Those Performance racks work well. They hold the bikes securely, don't wobble, and can be adjusted to hold bikes of various shapes and sizes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Bike Tree

My brother in law use Performance rack, it's nice and sturdy but not taking full suspension bikes too well (large hanger), I bought a Bike Tree from Ebay for $25 (couldn't find it anymore, but ahould be available on line) and it works pretty good. The only difference is it has to lean on the wall to support the weight. I found lots of times I just use it for light maintanance instead of put the bike on my repair stand.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBull
    My brother in law use Performance rack, it's nice and sturdy but not taking full suspension bikes too well (large hanger)...
    I think it depends upon the bike. I puzzled a while over how to make it hold my son's Specialized FSR XC. I ended up flipping over one of the rubber cradles so that the smooth side of the rubber is up. The FSR XC's shock link rests on this arm and what amounts to a top tube on that bike rests on the other arm (with the cradle upright).

That said, I think it might be more challenging to get it to hold my '04 Enduro. The trick with the link would probably work okay, either under the link itself or under the seat mount, but I think there's insufficient space in the frame to be able to slide the arm through the smallish hole near the front of the bike. One of the arms might just be able to support the bike by (what amounts to) the down tube though.