mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Stan's ZTR Wheelsets sub $400

Last week I picked up the Crest 29ers for $384 which is the best price I've ever seen. All 26" & 29" (Arch, Flow, Crest) sets are below $400.

http://www.ride-this.com/index.php/c...s+ZTR+wheelset

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Has anyone else bought from this place?

mtbr member
    even says it comes with valve and yellow stans tape...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So tempting.......

mtbr member
    Out of stock for now. They have more coming later.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    hmmm... very tempted to order the road wheels. That price is $100 better than any others I've seen. I know supply is bad on those right now though. Could take weeks to get them.

mtbr member
    I've purchased from them before, as I recall service was good.

mtbr member

skewers..

Anyone know if the crest wheelset would come with skewers??

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Yes, all Stan's wheelsets come with skewers.

mtbr member
    sweet thanks.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah Superfly
    Last week I picked up the Crest 29ers for $384 which is the best price I've ever seen. All 26" & 29" (Arch, Flow, Crest) sets are below $400. <iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://tinyurl.com/235btls" vspale=0></iframe><iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://tinyurl.com/27shlk6" vspale=0></iframe>

Sold out :/

JB1
    mtbr member
    I emailed them and this is their response:

We don't currently have a restocking date scheduled on those rims, but I do have plenty of them available to me from a supplier on the East Coast, if you would like to order a pair. It'll be just the 32h, plenty of blacks and white, though. That's all the Stans distributors have available to the retailers at this point.

mtbr member
    So everyone has had good experiences with ride-this.com? I'm thinking of ordering some ZTR Crest rims from them.

Thanks guys

JB1
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerboyj17
    So everyone has had good experiences with ride-this.com? I'm thinking of ordering some ZTR Crest rims from them.

Thanks guys
    They got some pretty crappy reviews on this forum a few years ago if you do a search, but that was from 2008.

The guy Tim also said if you buy all of the components from them, the will do the wheelbuild for free. Im curious now if anyone has had a wheel built by them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gridtalker
    Sold out :/

I just ordered a set Friday...said "Available" and allowed me to order.

I even spoke with Tim, explained that I was about to order them online and was wondering about skewers....

Hope they aren't really sold out!

Adventure Mapper
    Heard of any durability issues on this 1400g wheelset?

Great price to weight ratio.

Think they'd survive a 24 hr race over a really rocky course with a 200lb rider @ the helm?

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Problematic

Quote Originally Posted by forgiven_nick
    Heard of any durability issues on this 1400g wheelset?

Great price to weight ratio.

Think they'd survive a 24 hr race over a really rocky course with a 200lb rider @ the helm?
    No. You're bound to make some wheelbreaking errors in such a race. Tired 200lb rider, darkness, and rocks are a dangerous combo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Stans used to have great prices on their website but they've really gone up.
    Will Ride this do custom options?
    2 wheels

mtbr member
    They are back in stock...just ordered the Crest set

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkrw3
    They are back in stock...just ordered the Crest set
    Link?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    Link?

mtbr member
    Not working.

mtbr member
    Not working.

however the Crest's are sold out again...they have the Flow and Arch in stock still

mtbr member
    sorry if i didn't do enough research but are the wheels from ride-this any different from http://www.r2technik.com/crest29.html? The quoted weights are different, and im assuming the other difference is that they are built by different people? Also what is going on with warranty from these places? I'm far too concerned with these wheels durability, (probably more than i need to be)

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Stans ZTR 26" Crest - would they live under a 225lb street rider ? no jumps, no smashing curbs etc... as i said a street rider..... would drop 1.5lbs off my bike if they would survive....

JB1
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qkenuf4u
    Stans ZTR 26" Crest - would they live under a 225lb street rider ? no jumps, no smashing curbs etc... as i said a street rider..... would drop 1.5lbs off my bike if they would survive....
    I would go with the Flows. If you are just a street rider then strength is more important than weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1
    I would go with the Flows. If you are just a street rider then strength is more important than weight.
    how does that work ????
    im thinking if this was the case DH guys would be using the 12lb bikes and ROAD guys would be using the 50lb+ bikes.....

JB1
    mtbr member
    how does that work ????
    im thinking if this was the case DH guys would be using the 12lb bikes and ROAD guys would be using the 50lb+ bikes.....
    What I am saying is that you are close to the max weight for a Crest so why not go with the Flow. The weight difference won't hurt you in the street. I didn't know you were street racing.
    And that's why downhill guys go with strength over weight too.

mtbr member
    how does that work ????
    I know you said no jump and such so maybe his missed that, but the term "street riding" is generally used to describe BMX/trials type stuff, whereas "road riding" generally described road biking, commuting, etc

JB1
    mtbr member
    I didnt understand the "street rider" term.
    EIther way, Stans lists the max rider weight for the Crest at 190lbs. The Flows weigh 305 grams more. (1420 vs. 1725) Max rider eight 250 lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    What hubs do the wheelset come with?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by igl00jx
    What hubs do the wheelset come with?
    Stan 3.30 hubs

BTW has anyone gotten their wheels from this place yet?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    What I am saying is that you are close to the max weight for a Crest so why not go with the Flow. The weight difference won't hurt you in the street. I didn't know you were street racing.
    And that's why downhill guys go with strength over weight too.
    i know im not doing my IBIS justice or using it for what it was designed for but thats not really anyone else's concern... (nothing personal against you )
    im using the IBIS for commuting and a bit of single track riding .. nothing extreme or even really exciting.
    my reasoning for going with the lighter wheels is to help me in my pursuit of a lighter faster bike (ie easier to pedal uphills-lots of them here) plus if its easier to pedal then ill start riding farther than to work and back everyday...
    im thinking my response from STANS about the arch is prob. the same response i would get about the crest... "dont beat on them like are DH rims and be smooth and youll be fine to sum it up"...

but from the sounds of it i could be 20lbs lighter by the time anyone gets their rims so im gonna just live with what i got for now.....

sorry about the confusion.. yes its just a commuter/single track bike... no jumping etc.. like i said really boring ...

mtbr member
    Can the front ztr hub be converted to 15mm through axle? if so what parts do you need?

mtbr member
    Can the front ztr hub be converted to 15mm through axle? if so what parts do you need?
    It appears so. Here's the part

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Stan 3.30 hubs

BTW has anyone gotten their wheels from this place yet?
    Yes, I had them in hand when I posted my first message. Shipping took about 2 weeks. They had run out of stock when I ordered and couldn't ship until more arrived.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah Superfly
    Yes, I had them in hand when I posted my first message. Shipping took about 2 weeks. They had run out of stock when I ordered and couldn't ship until more arrived.
    Do you or anyone else know if they are built by this place or by stans? Any comments on build quality? thanks

JB1
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vitiate
    Do you or anyone else know if they are built by this place or by stans? Any comments on build quality? thanks
    I emailed them that question and they said they do not build these, that they come from Stans.

Here is their quote:
    "The Stans are factory built. Though, if you were to buy rims, hubs, spokes and nipples from us, we do wheel builds for free."

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    24.4x15.8mm/540 ERD - how wide a tire could you mount on this rim ????

its a STANS CREST 26"...

mtbr member
    Has anyone actually ordered and received this wheelset from ride-this.com?

I ordered on February 25 and have yet to receive them.

My biggest concern is that the email I registered under no longer works ( I confirmed the email and login) to get to my account on the site. I do still have the confirmation email with the order #.

I sent an email Sunday night, but have yet to here back from them...

mtbr member
    I ordered a set of Crests on 02/24/2010 from ride-this. The status was "available" and the site said they would ship within five days. I emailed them for a status update after five working days and got no response. I emailed them again a few days later and still no response. Emailed them one more time yesterday and got no response. Then I called my credit card company and cancelled the order.

I wouldn't order from this outfit. Bad customer service.

JB1
    mtbr member
    I was real close to pulling the trigger on a set of these. Im having second thoughts now. Let us know.

EDIT- Here's some bad feedback on these guys:Ride-This LIES

Here's some more:Ride-this.com Rocks!
    Last edited by JB1; 03-08-2011 at 05:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Bonking ... not feelin' well

I was real close to pulling the trigger on a set of these. Im having second thoughts now. Let us know.

wow bummer ......guess i wont be ordering from them... thanks for the info/link...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

I was planning on picking these up as a training/trail set but after hearing about the rim failure on the threads above I'm going to wait until they determine the root cause of failure.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D1PHAM
    I was planning on picking these up as a training/trail set but after hearing about the rim failure on the threads above I'm going to wait until they determine the root cause of failure.
    Most "rim failures" are really failures of the build of the whole wheel (spokes too light for the application, spokes under-tensioned, etc) or the wheel being pushed past its abilities (casing a jumping or other hard, square-edge hits, landing sideways, etc). Failures of Crest wheels in recent threads strongly appear to fit into those categories.

mtbr member
    I called them today about my order on March 1st. They showed In Stock when ordered and I had not gotten shipping info. I was told that they were waiting for them to come in from the east coast and should ship out on Thursday.

While this is very disappointing it doesn't seem to be too out of the norm for online bike stores. While building up my Jet9 I have ordered from several other OLBS's and all of them have held my shipment to get in items that were shown as in stock on the website.

I personally feel this is VERY dishonest, however, this seems NORMAL I guess.

mtbr member
    I called them today about my order on March 1st. They showed In Stock when ordered and I had not gotten shipping info. I was told that they were waiting for them to come in from the east coast and should ship out on Thursday.

While this is very disappointing it doesn't seem to be too out of the norm for online bike stores. While building up my Jet9 I have ordered from several other OLBS's and all of them have held my shipment to get in items that were shown as in stock on the website.

This mirrors my experience. They did offer discounted/free freight for my troubles.

My personal feeling is that a lot of the smaller outfits use their distributors as a warehousing department. They will collect multiple orders prepaid, then order them all at once from their distributor, hence the 1-5 day ship times. This allows them to not have to inventory a lot of product...keeping costs down.

The problem occurs when your distributor runs out and you have no product to deliver to all of these customers you took money from...JMHO.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    The only places that don't do that are jenson, performance and Universal. If you need a good selection Universal is really the only good option out of the 3. I've never had a problem with their inventory not being accurate and I think in almost every order except one they shipped the same day.

Another thing - if you're shopping on one of these other sites and have doubts about whether they really have it in stock - check universal. If universal shows it as unavailable chances are no one else has it either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    The only places that don't do that are jenson, performance and Universal. If you need a good selection Universal is really the only good option out of the 3. I've never had a problem with their inventory not being accurate and I think in almost every order except one they shipped the same day.

Another thing - if you're shopping on one of these other sites and have doubts about whether they really have it in stock - check universal. If universal shows it as unavailable chances are no one else has it either.
    Universal does use the local distributor a lot, but the good part is they are very up front about it (in a way) through their website. Any stock quantity that shows under "ships 2 days" is an accurate inventory level from the big QBP distributor near them. The fact that they clearly show accurate and real-time inventory numbers for every item in their own local inventory and in the distributor's warehouse and will ship out orders that aren't in local stock in a guaranteed 2 days instead of a week or two with no deadline makes it all good in my books. I've ordered way too much from Universal over the past couple years

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Custom built

You guys are missing the point.

Thee are popular as custom wheelsets. I sell a lot of them and my customers understand that it could take a week or so to get them built to spec.

Choice of rims, hubs, spokes, nipples. Hundred of variations. Don't expect your particular wheels to be in stock unless you want some standard basic build.

But what fun is that? What if you want a white Crest with blue Hope 20mm front and singlespeed rear laced with silver spokes and red nipples?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com
    Don't expect your particular wheels to be in stock unless you want some standard basic build.
    That's exactly what these are: the same wheels that are listed under the "stock wheels" section on the notubes website, just cheaper. Stock wheels like this are an easy way for those of us with smaller budgets to still get a decent wheel

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com
    You guys are missing the point.

Thee are popular as custom wheelsets. I sell a lot of them and my customers understand that it could take a week or so to get them built to spec.

Choice of rims, hubs, spokes, nipples. Hundred of variations. Don't expect your particular wheels to be in stock unless you want some standard basic build.

But what fun is that? What if you want a white Crest with blue Hope 20mm front and singlespeed rear laced with silver spokes and red nipples?

I think you're missing the point. They are selling the "stock" pre-built wheels from no-tubes. Regardless of who laces them, on their end it arrives in their store the same way a handlebar or crank does - ready to ship. Supply on these has been tight ever since no-tubes started offering them. They're just driving traffic to the site with great prices that they can't really honor.

mtbr member

Did you get any confirmation that these shipped? Still waiting on mine as well...

mtbr member
    I called in from Canada to make an order of Crests last week, and had no problems. I spoke with Tim about the whole order, and also ordered some Velox tape and a bottle of Stan's sealant. He was very accomodating and answered all of my questions.

I later asked him via email to put a hold on my order because I was thinking about adding some tires to my order but wanted to check out a local trade show first. Emailed Monday to resume the order, but it didnt get resumed until I called in yesterday. Order was shippied via USPS w/ tracking info to my email today.

I was quite happy with their service, and it sucks that others are having problems. The only issue I ran into was their email replies were a bit slow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wushudrew
    I called in from Canada to make an order of Crests last week, and had no problems. I spoke with Tim about the whole order, and also ordered some Velox tape and a bottle of Stan's sealant. He was very accomodating and answered all of my questions.

I later asked him via email to put a hold on my order because I was thinking about adding some tires to my order but wanted to check out a local trade show first. Emailed Monday to resume the order, but it didnt get resumed until I called in yesterday. Order was shippied via USPS w/ tracking info to my email today.

I was quite happy with their service, and it sucks that others are having problems. The only issue I ran into was their email replies were a bit slow.
    That's just awesome...you ordered your wheels a week after me and have a tracking number...me, I have nothing.

If I call tomorrow and get the run around...I'm gonna go ballistic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase1996
    That's just awesome...you ordered your wheels a week after me and have a tracking number...me, I have nothing.

If I call tomorrow and get the run around...I'm gonna go ballistic.
    did you order the same item as him?

mtbr member
    From reading some earlier posts, the shop may order their parts in spurts in which case they may not have gotten any wheels in until recently.

Regarding email account sign-ins not working: I spoke to Tim on the phone and he said that they were having some system problems and that accounts were not working on their website. However, I received two emails from them: one telling me my order was shipped (along with my correct address, etc) and another giving me my tracking number. So, the information is still in their system.

mtbr member
    Did you get any confirmation that these shipped? Still waiting on mine as well...
    just checked my email and NO

JB1
    mtbr member
    Ride-this raised the price to over $500!!! I guess they cant handle the demand!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    did you order the same item as him?
    I ordered a set of Crest's as well....except on Feb 25th...

mtbr member
    Ride-this raised the price to over $500!!! I guess they cant handle the demand!!
    It's also possible that notubes told them they aren't allowed to sell the wheels that cheaply

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    It's also possible that notubes told them they aren't allowed to sell the wheels that cheaply
    That is the case.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wushudrew
    From reading some earlier posts, the shop may order their parts in spurts in which case they may not have gotten any wheels in until recently.

Regarding email account sign-ins not working: I spoke to Tim on the phone and he said that they were having some system problems and that accounts were not working on their website. However, I received two emails from them: one telling me my order was shipped (along with my correct address, etc) and another giving me my tracking number. So, the information is still in their system.
    So, if the info is still in their system, why would your Crest's ship after being ordered last week....and mine not?

mtbr member
    My experience...Ordered the Stans Arch 29 wheelset @ $384. Seemed like a steal...I guess it was. With the 15mm adapter coming from NoTubes I have $415 in the wheelset shipped. Now the price says $510 no adapter included...it was around $465 yesterday...glad I ordered when I did.

Anyhoo...Placed the order and began reading many poor reviews of Ride-This. I know, I know, do your research first. I began to get scared so I started trying to reach them by phone on day three after the order. I was actually going to try to just cut bait and cancel the order. Called all day long...no answer...middle of the week. Left a message. Two days later, day five after the order placed, still no return phone call. Was just about to try calling again when an email popped in saying the order was being prepped for shipping.

End of day five after order placed I now have a tracking number that seems to make everything line up for my order...provided I get what I ordered. I placed an order and five business days later I have a tracking number saying a wheelset is coming my way. As long as the build is as stated, I am content with this particular transaction.

That said, I will never order from Ride-This again partly based on the MANY negative reviews and experiences you can find with a bit of looking...it's simply not worth the risk of being another failed service statistic for this particular merchant. However, the decision is mainly based on the complete inability to reach anyone by phone and no return call on my message. That last bit is unacceptable customer service.

mtbr member
    So, if the info is still in their system, why would your Crest's ship after being ordered last week....and mine not?
    I cant say why.. My shipment has already been dispatched, so for me its just the waiting game now. I thought that they would place priority on domestic orders, since those are in much higher volume.

It seems that I got lucky with both the price (since it went up) and the customer service. Aside from their website niggles and not being able to reach them by phone a couple of times, they were great on the phone and accomodating. Ive had far worse CS experiences with other bike-related purchases..

Hope all those who are still missing their orders get them filled within the next week. I will update when I receive my wheels, which will probably be in at least a week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    well they had a good run for a little while.....

mtbr member
    ordered my Crest 29rs on March 1st after many calls and promises of shipping I got an email yesterday that stated that my wheels had come in but were 26" instead and that it would be at least another week before they would have the right wheels for me....frustrating to say the least!! If not for the price this would not be worth it and I am not sure it is even at 370ish I wish I had just purchased the deal for AC wheels at 600 instead of seeing this deal and trying to save money...now the deal for the AC wheels is gone and I am stuck with a Jet9 without wheels....

I feel it is a poor practice for companies to list things in stock that are not sell the item take your money hold it and then order the part for you. I know that this is pretty normal for the bike industry but still a poor practice. Also it seems unreasonable for there to be more than a week delay between ordering and having the item shipped out. You can get product shipped in in a week from anywhere in the country and then ship back out with a day or two turn around.

mtbr member
    Received my set of Crests today. They shipped from Oregon to Toronto, Canada in 7 business days, which is exceptionally fast. Inspected them and everything looks to be OK, cant wait to ride them. Packaging was great, and the bottle of sealant and roll of rim tape I ordered was in the box as well.

Overall for me, a good experience especially considering the potential headaches from cross-border shipping.

mtbr member
    I ordered 3-4 items from 3 different dealers on Fri. Bluesky, Pricepoint, and Jenson. So far the first place to say my order was shipped was Bluesky. I use those 3 dealers to buy my parts plus a 4th one (Cambria Bike). I intend to still use all 4 of those dealers for my parts but, since Bluesky was the first to send me a conformation that my parts were shipped I thought that I would plug a quik line about it for them! I will see what order I get at my door first, also... and what order I get last.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I ordered a set of Stans Flow 29ers with Sram X9 hubs laced by Handspun (Handspun Trail Series 4) on ebay for $340 shipped to my door. These don't come with Stan's tape or valve stems though. The vendor is Xtreme Bike & Sport and they also sell on amazon.

I also got a quote from Orion Cycles (sales@orioncycles.com) for Flow 29ers on Shimano SLX hubs, with tape and valve stems shipped for $320. I would have gone with Orion, but it took them a couple of days to respond to my email and in that short time I managed to fold my old front rim in a nasty spill so I had to get some new rims faster than I had planned and I hadn't heard back from Orion yet.

EDIT: Xtreme Bike & Sport is apparently listing auctions on Ebay that they do not have in stock. They emailed me and said that they do not have the front wheel that I won, so the entire order was canceled. It works out in my favor I guess. Now I can try to work something out with Orion Cycles after all.
    Last edited by cbrinly; 03-24-2011 at 10:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Like I posted above, I ordered a few things from Blue sky, Price Point, and Jenson. I placed the order around midnight Fri. and got conformation within a 10 hour time span on
    Mon. evening. All 3 orders are supposed to arrive tomorrow at my door so I'll say that all
    3 are quite speedy in shipping out your stuff. I just hope I ordered the right BB tools!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bataivah
    Like I posted above, I ordered a few things from Blue sky, Price Point, and Jenson. I placed the order around midnight Fri. and got conformation within a 10 hour time span on
    Mon. evening. All 3 orders are supposed to arrive tomorrow at my door so I'll say that all
    3 are quite speedy in shipping out your stuff. I just hope I ordered the right BB tools!
    I'm confused. Are you talking about a Stans ZTR wheelset under $400?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrinly
    I'm confused. Are you talking about a Stans ZTR wheelset under $400?
    No, but I should be...Sorry dude.

mtbr member
    Update...still no wheels still no shipping info and unable to contact via phone or email...getting worried!!! ordered on March 1st

Just got someone....now they have one of the wheels in the set but not the other...Every time I get someone they have a new excuse!!!

1st excuse: We are waiting for the CC BB you ordered with it but your wheels are here and as soon as the BB gets here we will send it out

2nd excuse: BB came but mistakenly got shipped to someone else with something else they ordered but we are getting a replacement BB for you

3rd excuse: We got you BB but now we are waiting for your wheels to get here from the east coast (you know storms and such)

4th excuse: We got you wheels but they were 26" and not 29" so well .....we are getting yours will send out your BB and send you the wheels when they get here 3-5 days

Got BB in the mail

5th excuse: Well they shipped out your wheels but only sent a rear wheel and no front wheel so now we are waiting on a front wheel which they are overnighting to us as we speak

REALLY!!!!!!

Also during this whole thing they have promised to refund my shipping 3 times and as of yet.....you guessed it no refund
    Last edited by clarkrw3; 03-24-2011 at 11:28 AM.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Well, if you get them eventually its a sick deal. As i mentioned at the beginning of the thread, I knew supply on these wheels was tight, especially in 29" sizes. It just didn't make sense that they'd offer those prices. In the end they probably pissed off more customers than they gained.

mtbr member
    That was (Ride-This) who you ordered from? I don't think I will be using them!

mtbr member
    That was (Ride-This) who you ordered from? I don't think I will be using them!
    yes...Ride-This

JB1
    mtbr member
    I was considering this deal but stayed away after all of the BS. I ordered a set of Flows with Hope 2 hubs from Red Barn Cycles last Tuesday, and they were delieverd to my door today. Hand built custom wheels delivered in 9 days!!! From Montana to NJ!! They were built by last Thursday because they had the parts in stock. I highly recommend Chad and Red-Barn!!!

mtbr member
    I was considering this deal but stayed away after all of the BS. I ordered a set of Flows with Hope 2 hubs from Red Barn Cycles last Tuesday, and they were delieverd to my door today. Hand built custom wheels delivered in 9 days!!! From Montana to NJ!! They were built by last Thursday because they had the parts in stock. I highly recommend Chad and Red-Barn!!!

I bet you payed a LOT more than 370 Not to say it wasn't worth it and I am SURE they are much better wheels but there are a lot of places you can get good expensive hand built wheels pretty fast. But that's not the point the point is that Ride-This SUCKS!!!!

JB1
    mtbr member
    I bet you payed a LOT more than 370 Not to say it wasn't worth it and I am SURE they are much better wheels but there are a lot of places you can get good expensive hand built wheels pretty fast. But that's not the point the point is that Ride-This SUCKS!!!!
    They were about the same price as Stans with ZTR hubs. The regular price, that is.

mtbr member
    Maybe you bought the wrong thing at the wrong time. I doubt they would be in bussiness very long pulling stunts like that. I won't try them to find out though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    No, but I should be...Sorry dude.
    Ah ok, no worries. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a deal from those vendors on a ZTR wheelset.

They were about the same price as Stans with ZTR hubs. The regular price, that is.
    A set of 29er Flows with ZTR hubs is about $530 shipped to me directly from notubes. 29er Flows with Hope II hubs from notubes is $200 more than that. If Red Barn could make a set with Hope hubs for the price of ZTR hubs from notubes I might just have to consider that. Currently I have quote requests with orion cycles and lacemine29 and a few hundred tied up in my previously failed purchase

JB1
    mtbr member
    Ah ok, no worries. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a deal from those vendors on a ZTR wheelset.

A set of 29er Flows with ZTR hubs is about $530 shipped to me directly from notubes. 29er Flows with Hope II hubs from notubes is $200 more than that. If Red Barn could make a set with Hope hubs for the price of ZTR hubs from notubes I might just have to consider that. Currently I have quote requests with orion cycles and lacemine29 and a few hundred tied up in my previously failed purchase
    Im trying to not put the prices on here, only because obviously they fluctuate, but yes, thats about right. Same as the Flows with ZTR hubs. Call or email Red Barn. He actually answers the phone, and answers emails the same day, except for Mondays. Build time was originally quoted at 1 week, but he finished in 3 days.

mtbr member
    There's a guy on another thread who is having the same problem with getting wheels from Jenson. It seems to be that these places are just trying to keep up with a large demand on wheels or something. They probably got twice the amount of orders than they expected!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've requested quotes from Orion, Red Barn and lacemine29. It appears that spring is here and everyone is busy because communications are slow. I'm also guessing that if communications are slow, build times will be even slower.

I've actually sourced another Handspun 29er Flow wheelset from a different vender for under $290 shipped. If I get those I will have saved myself $50 from my previously failed purchase for the exact same wheels. As much as I would like find a custom builder to make a set with better hubs at a good price, it is hard to say no to a set of 29er flows for under $290 and delivered weeks sooner even if they have Sram X9 hubs.
    Last edited by cbrinly; 03-25-2011 at 06:45 PM.

mtbr member

Ride-This good experience...

See post #64 above to reference my order w/ Ride-This. I received my wheels in an acceptable time frame according to their website and all is well. The wheels appear to have come direct from No-Tubes and Ride-This just forwarded them directly to me. Ordered the 15mm adapters from Stans and I now have a 15mm No-Tubes ZTR Arch 29 wheelset for $415 to my doorstep.

I felt compelled to post another reply as my experience turned out to be positive. Especially considering the price for which I bought the wheels. I should have ordered another set now that I realize the value of those initial offers.

I have revised my opinion and would order from Ride-This again...IF...the deal was smokin' like this wheelset was. Given even money with other retailers I would go elsewhere. The fact that I could not reach anyone by phone and was never returned a call eliminates all considerations other than a knockout deal.

mtbr member
    remember, kids... caveat emptor.

mtbr member
    Update...still no wheels still no shipping info and unable to contact via phone or email...getting worried!!! ordered on March 1st

Just got someone....now they have one of the wheels in the set but not the other...Every time I get someone they have a new excuse!!!

1st excuse: We are waiting for the CC BB you ordered with it but your wheels are here and as soon as the BB gets here we will send it out

2nd excuse: BB came but mistakenly got shipped to someone else with something else they ordered but we are getting a replacement BB for you

3rd excuse: We got you BB but now we are waiting for your wheels to get here from the east coast (you know storms and such)

4th excuse: We got you wheels but they were 26" and not 29" so well .....we are getting yours will send out your BB and send you the wheels when they get here 3-5 days

Got BB in the mail

5th excuse: Well they shipped out your wheels but only sent a rear wheel and no front wheel so now we are waiting on a front wheel which they are overnighting to us as we speak

REALLY!!!!!!

Also during this whole thing they have promised to refund my shipping 3 times and as of yet.....you guessed it no refund

Thought I would update this. The WHEELS CAME TODAY. I talked to them on Thursday and they seemed to be pushing to get them sent out to me on Friday but I wasn't expecting anything and they showed up today They seem to be perfect from what I could tell with a quick look over. So thanks for finally coming through but I still feel that it should not have taken 28 days from order to delivery.

In a side note Colorado Cyclist has the 29r 355 Stan wheels for 379 if anyone is interested and they also are including 15 and 20 TA for the front hub

mtbr member
    Yeah, whenever you get something on backorder, plan on waiting a month (give or take).
    When you ride with those new wheels, you'll foget all about it.

mtbr member
    Yeah, whenever you get something on backorder, plan on waiting a month (give or take).
    When you ride with those new wheels, you'll foget all about it.
    Your right....however, in this case these wheels were listed as IN STOCK when ordered

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Both Extreme Bike & Sports and Bike Wagon have posted auctions on Ebay for 29er Flow front wheels that they do not have in stock and cannot fulfill. I thought I had learned my lesson after the failed purchase with Ex Bike & Sport. This past Friday, before I placed my order with Bike Wagon, I called and asked if they could verify the availability. They confirmed that the front wheel (Handspun Trail Series 4, Sram X9 hub laced to Stans Flow 29er) was available. I placed my buyout order on ebay immediately. Today I found out that they cannot deliver on the purchase. Strike 2 (Strike 1 was a similar failure with Ex Bike & Sports)

Currently there is an awesome deal for the rear wheel on amazon for $119 shipped. That is significantly cheaper than I have found anywhere else. Before I placed that order for the rear wheel, I contacted the merchant and they verified that it is available. They said that they could get it from their distributor tomorrow and then ship it to me directly (what's with all of these internet bike supply shops listing stuff for sale and taking money for items that they do not have in stock? Seems like a move out of Enron's playbook). Hopefully I will have a tracking number for the rear wheel by the day after tomorrow. After I confirm that the rear is coming from the amazon vendor, I plan to order the front wheel directly from notubes. A 3.30 Stans front hub laced to a 29er flow will be $223.83 shipped bringing my total cost to $342.73 for the wheel set. Both 29er Flow rims with DT Comp spokes, front hub Stans 3.30 and rear hub Sram X9.

If the rear wheel from amazon falls through, I plan to spend a bit more and go for a custom build from Red Barn with Hope II hubs. Between Red Barn, Orion, and lacemine29, Red Barn has had the best communication with me.
    Last edited by cbrinly; 03-28-2011 at 08:05 PM.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Both Extreme Bike & Sports and Bike Wagon
    I've had bad experiences with both of them. Extreme doesn't have anything they list on ebay on hand and bikewagon shipped me incorrect items twice (all part of the same order) and actually asked me to forward one of the packages to the correct person for them. Frankly, the notorious Abaxo is more reliable than either of them.

As my gear addictions keep getting worse and worse I'm finding that its usually better to just pay a few extra bucks to deal with universal. I know I keep saying it and I sound like a shill but they just never screw up or lie to me.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    In a side note Colorado Cyclist has the 29r 355 Stan wheels for 379 if anyone is interested and they also are including 15 and 20 TA for the front hub
    Nice deal, but I'd wager that they don't have them.

mtbr member
    Since the ride-this.com deal is dead....Anyone selling the ztr crest 29 with ztr hubs for around $300-$400 ?

mtbr member
    Since the ride-this.com deal is dead....Anyone selling the ztr crest 29 with ztr hubs for around $300-$400 ?

not the crest granted but something similar is the deal someone else posted for 29er ztr 355s at colorado cyclist for $379.

thats a nice deal IMO

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I finally have my set of 29er flows for under $400.

I bought the rear from Niagara cycles, through amazon for $120 shipped. This is a handspun trail series 4 with a Sram X9 hub. I know people complain about the low POE of this hub, but it is the same number of POE as the hub it is replacing which I had been riding on without issue, so it should be good enough for me at a killer price.

I could not find a front handspun and was starting to get desperate since my old front was bent; so I needed a front fast to get back to riding. I went with a front from Stan's directly on his new Stan's 3.30 front hub, $219 shipped.

Overall not a bad deal for 29er Flow wheels totaling $339 to my door.

The set up tubeless was easy with an ardent 2.25 rear and 2.4 front only using a floor pump. I'll get my first ride on them this afternoon.

mtbr member
    what is the weight on the set with x9 hubs?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    orioncycles.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtylerdurden
    what is the weight on the set with x9 hubs?
    I have no clue, sorry. No scale.

Members who have read this thread: 0