Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    612

    SRAM XX marketing machine - I'm out. thx 'MAP'

    Pure science in motion...blah blah blah....its more about pure marketing in motion.

    I was hoping to go 2X9 with some great kit from SRAM...well as it turns out, there are 100 retailers, 500 ebay'ers all trying to sell SRAM XX ... and they seem to be having trouble!

    The marketing plan of using controlled pricing seems to be back-firing. check this out:


    All of our SRAM products include the full manufacturer's warranty...not all eBay seller's can guarantee this! Please reads SRAM's MAP Policy below...

    SRAM Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) Policy...Please read this section!


    SRAM has recently released a Minimum Advertised Pricing (MAP) Policy.
    Products covered by SRAM's MAP Policy include SRAM, Truvativ, Avid, RockShox, HammerSchmidt and PitStop.
    All SRAM products, including those listed for sale on eBay, must conform to SRAM's MAP Policy or the seller is in violation of this policy and risks being terminated as an authorized reseller of SRAM products.
    SRAM considers all sales of its products, which are advertised for less than MAP, to be an unauthorized sale of its product.
    An unauthorized sale of a SRAM product may void the manufacturer's warranty regardless of what the seller may tell you.
    Our eBay listings are in full compliance with SRAM's MAP Policy.
    Our 'Buy-It-Now' (BIN) price is set to the lowest advertised price that SRAM allows. Any identical item, advertised for less than our BIN price, is in violation of SRAM's MAP Policy and we encourage you to use caution when purchasing SRAM products from those sellers.
    The actual selling price of any SRAM product is always at the discretion of the seller and may be lower than MAP, however the price advertised by the seller cannot be less than MAP.
    Our listing includes a 'Best Offer' option which allows a potential buyer the opportunity to purchase this item for less than MAP and retain the full manufacturer's warranty.
    Please use discretion when using our 'Best Offer' option. Only submit a 'Best Offer' when you’re serious about purchasing the item. Like the bids made on auction-style listings, your 'Best Offer' is binding, and if accepted, you are obligated to pay for the item.

  2. #2
    West Chester, PA
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,179
    Quote Originally Posted by twenty6black
    The actual selling price of any SRAM product is always at the discretion of the seller and may be lower than MAP, however the price advertised by the seller cannot be less than MAP.
    Our listing includes a 'Best Offer' option which allows a potential buyer the opportunity to purchase this item for less than MAP and retain the full manufacturer's warranty.
    This goes on in a lot of industries. This is why you see certain consumer electronics "on sale" with the discount given as a gift card. An online retailer could also offer a special coupon code for sram products to get around this.

  3. #3
    Mudder
    Reputation: slalomnorth65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    272
    Yeah se4e thats where your wrong. Sram is making BANK on 2x10. 5 years from now majority of race bikes will have it. I just got xx and LOVE IT

  4. #4
    Its got what plants crave
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,936
    Setting a minimum price will help allow the local shops to compete, and avoids destroying margins in price wars between distributors. I'll be buying X9 until there start to be closeouts and good prices on XX.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,871
    Mavic Does it
    Chris King does it
    Specialized does it
    Cannodale does it.................................

    In the end, you just have to find that retailer that will give you 10,15 20 percent off at the registar.

    I got a Mavic wheel that starting price was retail, but my 20%off coupon worked great.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    350
    in simple terms, this just means there's a fixed minimum price SRAM authorized dealers can sell stuff at right?


    I was watching a XX crankset on Ebay. It ended at 299.00 (+$15 Shipping), with no bids. Can these things really be had for under less than $300?!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    493
    The key thing to note about the SRAM's policy is they are apparently policing advertised prices, not selling prices. The cut/paste in the original post from the eBay listing is clearly inviting people to make offers below MAP prices, and he is willing to accept them (up to a point, of course).

    Personally I have had luck approaching web retailers by phone, and making lower (but reasonable) offers on items listed on their websites at higher msrp prices, and they've usually accepted or counter-offered. This seems to be easiest at the "mid-range" web retailers: those who do enough transactions to be savvy, but not big enough to have rigid policies or insulate you from a manager who can quickly make the decision.

  8. #8
    Legend
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,287
    This is why you make fake reciepts. Get a "real" reciept from a friend for anything from an authorized online retailer (especially good if it's a PDF). A little Photoshop (or PDF editor, whatever) and bam: authorized reciept for however much you want.

    XX is for chumps anyways ... not exactly revolutionary (OMG A DOUBLE CRANK!!) and 10 whole speeds? Holy crap !

  9. #9
    ouch....
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,803
    Quote Originally Posted by ettore
    This is why you make fake reciepts. Get a "real" reciept from a friend for anything from an authorized online retailer (especially good if it's a PDF). A little Photoshop (or PDF editor, whatever) and bam: authorized reciept for however much you want.
    Riding.....

  10. #10
    Its got what plants crave
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,936
    Quote Originally Posted by ettore
    This is why you make fake reciepts. Get a "real" reciept from a friend for anything from an authorized online retailer (especially good if it's a PDF). A little Photoshop (or PDF editor, whatever) and bam: authorized reciept for however much you want.

    XX is for chumps anyways ... not exactly revolutionary (OMG A DOUBLE CRANK!!) and 10 whole speeds? Holy crap !

    Fake receipts? Sounds almost fraudulent. At the very least, a little dishonest and deceptive.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Guppie58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,457
    Its another form of price fixing. Manufacturing set prices has gone to the supreme court and upheld, despite being price fixing.

    I believe it to hurt both the consumer and the business. The success of a business should be based on product, service and reputation. A well run company should be able to offer lower prices. Instead, set prices removes the differences from the good, bad and ugly shops.

    The consumer is hurt because it's not market driven pricing. Competition, the back bone of free market, is taken out of the equation.

    Burton is another company that does this. I just wait until the season is ending. That's when the manufacturers take off the leash and let the shops really compete for business. Then you see market driven prices.

    In the digital age, only fools buy at full retail. If it's not at least 15% off, I don't touch it. No reason too. EVERYTHING eventually goes on sale.

    SRAM XX is also hurt by insane pricing. I thought XTR was stupid priced, but SRAM won that award. Why ANYBODY would pay that money for 'bling' is just insane.

  12. #12
    Legend
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Fake receipts? Sounds almost fraudulent. At the very least, a little dishonest and deceptive.
    Dishonest? Not really, you are still buying REAL SRAM parts, and SRAM is still selling them to the e-tailer ... it's just that the e-tailer doesn't want as much of a markup as SRAM disctates. It's not like you are STEALING it, you are just getting a better deal that SRAM doesn't want you to have in order to falsely value their product. Deceptive? Yes, but only because their "minimum price" rule is a bit silly. So what if a retailer doesn't want to sell 5 items for $30 profit ... maybe they want to sell 30 items for a $5 profit, should be their perogative. I am just a consumer, paying for a product. Just because I got a deal on it doesn't mean it shouldn't have a warrantee, especially since SRAM still made whatever they wanted when they sold it to the retailer. So, if I have to make a fake reciept to circumvent an idiotic rule, then so be it.

    I've had to do this before to get back duties (whose "country of origin" was stated incorrectly on the original reciept) and for mail in rebates (where the original reciept erroneously voids the MIR ... UPC typo, etc). I would imagine nobody would say that FIXING that paperwork would constitute dishonesty or deceptiveness and I think it's nearly the same thing as the SRAM situation.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    612

    dude, nail on the head !!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Guppie58
    Its another form of price fixing. Manufacturing set prices has gone to the supreme court and upheld, despite being price fixing.

    I believe it to hurt both the consumer and the business. The success of a business should be based on product, service and reputation. A well run company should be able to offer lower prices. Instead, set prices removes the differences from the good, bad and ugly shops.

    The consumer is hurt because it's not market driven pricing. Competition, the back bone of free market, is taken out of the equation.

    Burton is another company that does this. I just wait until the season is ending. That's when the manufacturers take off the leash and let the shops really compete for business. Then you see market driven prices.

    In the digital age, only fools buy at full retail. If it's not at least 15% off, I don't touch it. No reason too. EVERYTHING eventually goes on sale.

    SRAM XX is also hurt by insane pricing. I thought XTR was stupid priced, but SRAM won that award. Why ANYBODY would pay that money for 'bling' is just insane.

    This is really what I should have typed....but instead I did my rant of XX pricing in a bitter pants attitude. Well said Guppie58.

    I have ordered a XTR crankset ($399 good value) and will be staying with a 9 speed setup on my race bike.

    I think that this off season I will be building a new race bike and it will possible be SRAM XX....BUT, I will be waiting for the %30 off pricing.

    cheers all....LC

    PS: I am old so therefore I need to buy speed and endurance - thank you for your understanding :-)

  14. #14
    monster member
    Reputation: Wheelspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    634
    Funny to me that SRAM touts it as an expert "race" crank. I'm only interested in 2x10 for my wife's bike since she can't quite get the hang of a triple up front. Any expert/race mtber can change gears on a 3x9 system pretty damm fast.

    Anyway, at SRAM's prices I won't be looking at them for several years. I'll probably just wait a couple of years for a Shimano XT 2x10 version for her bike.

    (I'm old too and have been doing this for 22 years, so no problem for me to wait a couple years for prices to come down.)
    Have fun!

  15. #15
    help with the zip please
    Reputation: emu26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,920
    Quote Originally Posted by twenty6black

    I think that this off season I will be building a new race bike and it will possible be SRAM XX....BUT, I will be waiting for the %30 off pricing.

    cheers all....LC

    PS: I am old so therefore I need to buy speed and endurance - thank you for your understanding :-)
    should have waited a couple more weeks and got the 2011 xo or x9 2 x 10 setup.

    PS: I too am old, and also overweight, so try to compensate by having a light fast bike. I'm so old though that I don't want to waste time waiting for prices to come down because I'm running out of time to waste

  16. #16
    monster member
    Reputation: Wheelspeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26
    should have waited a couple more weeks and got the 2011 xo or x9 2 x 10 setup.

    PS: I too am old, and also overweight, so try to compensate by having a light fast bike. I'm so old though that I don't want to waste time waiting for prices to come down because I'm running out of time to waste
    LOL!
    Have fun!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •