Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trail Ninja

Speedgoat clearance/close-out sale

Speedgoat has been running an actual clearance close-out sale. Stuff's so cheap, I wonder if it's a going out of business sale. The "regular" prices most definitely don't match up with item MSRP. Some things are going below cost. Post what you think are some of the hottest deals, but separate road from MTB please!

Trail Ninja
    Forgot the link!! Speedgoat Bicycles | Product Listing

I normally wouldn't be spendy, but I tried to price match the Hope seatpost binder at a local shop, silver 31.8, for my 27.2 post Ti HT at $16, but they said it was far too below cost and they had to preserve their bottom line. Understandable, so I was gonna just pay for SH, but I found...

Blingy stuff:
    XO Trail (4 piston) front brakes. $150 (I'm not an Avid brake hater)
    MRP 2x chain guide, 36-38 ISCG '05, $70 (if it weren't for that F'n overpriced Bionicon making this seem reasonable)

Budget builds:
    Avid Elixir 3 brake, 180mm Front. $60 (seriously? People buy single Shimano IceTech rotors for about this much)

I've seen some other crazy stuff like:

Road:
    SRAM Red Black Crankset (no BB) for $150? Isn't Red like the XX equivalent on the road side?

The deals all seem *very hot*, but I just don't see the value in some of them since I have no need or desire for them.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Great deals. I was so close to getting a Red crank in standard but it sold out while I hesitated. The X0 trail front brake is down to $112. I would totally upgrade just the front to the new 4 pistons if I ran Avid.
    Bamboo is real.

mtbr member
    Any free shipping coupons to go with this? I can't seem to find any, and can't get my total to $200...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I just picked up my brand new 2011 Orbea Alma Carbon 29er frame form them. I definitely think they are going out of business. I picked it up for $520! I too have noticed that they have very little inventory, and prices seem to be below cost. They are no longer listed on Orbea'S website as being a dealer either.

mtbr member
    Shipping kills most of the stuff in there. $12 to ship a water bottle? No thanks.

mtbr member
    I scored a Hope hub for $43, just got it today. $12 shipping was pretty out of control, but $55 for a Hope hub is still hard to beat

mtbr member
    as far as the shipping goes, if you see something you want ask Jenson to match it and you'll get free shipping. They matched Michelin Mud tires for $24.10 a couple weeks ago for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Guys
    Ordered a frame over 10 days ago and no news on what is happening: No confirmation, no tracking, no answers to phone calls or emails from Speedgoat. Is this normal for them? Are they really understaffed to handle multiple orders? They already billed me for the order. Nothing else. Last time I dealt with them (under previous management) I've had no troubles at all. Curious to know if I'll get this frame at all...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I ordered my frame and received it the next day, I am in Illinois though and so is Speedgoat. Out of curiosity what frame did you get? On the listing page, did it say that it was ready to ship? May be an issue where they oversold it, or might not have it physically in house. Try contacting this guy:
    Michael C.
    Sales Manager
    Speedgoat Bicycles
    888-545-4628 toll free
    224-629-4383 direct
    Michael@Speedgoat.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yes. Originally when I said I was interested in purchasing the frame via email, he called me right away. I placed the order over the phone. Then nothing. Since it was the last XL Crossberg by Ritte, you may be right that it may have been oversold. But I don't know that for sure. I would just like them to let me know what is the status of this order.
    I never had any trouble with them. They have been top notch in my book.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus044 View Post
    Shipping kills most of the stuff in there. $12 to ship a water bottle? No thanks.
    I needed spacers for a Hope hub to switch it from 15mm axle to 9mm QR, and they wanted $12 to ship the $10 part. I looked it up on Amazon, and Speedgoat was selling it on there for the same price, but for $4.98 shipping. So try shopping through Amazon to order from Speedgoat to get a break in the shipping fees.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Got the frame yesterday...
    All is good except the seat tube at seat collar location is damaged. Because the frame was shipped without a seat collar most likely.
    This may explain the heavy discount.
    Hope my bike shop tells me it's nothing major.

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormwalker View Post
    try shopping through Amazon to order from Speedgoat to get a break in the shipping fees.
    Rep for this man! Snagged me some bargains from Speedgoat through amazon without the crazy SH costs.

I do kind of regret waiting for prices to drop before jumping on some of the things, that are not out of stock. Amazon shows how much stock of somethings too. Those XO Trail brakes would've been nice, but I wouldn't look forward to buying uncommon sized brake pads.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

It's over for them

Speedgoat is essentially closed. It's down to a couple of guys, the offices are empty and they sold off bike stuff that was not listed in inventory for pennies.

Anything in the place, furniture, chairs, etc is for sale. They are holding on for the moment just to try and sell the name.

It's nearly impossible to contact them by website, email or phone, they just do not answer or return messages. I think you can still trust them with an order for what's left - but they are gone in their current form. Whether they completely vanish or not will be decided quickly.

My guess is that someone somewhere will pay something for the name. But even that's not certain, just a guess.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by molliever View Post
    Speedgoat is essentially closed. It's down to a couple of guys, the offices are empty and they sold off bike stuff that was not listed in inventory for pennies.

Anything in the place, furniture, chairs, etc is for sale. They are holding on for the moment just to try and sell the name.

It's nearly impossible to contact them by website, email or phone, they just do not answer or return messages. I think you can still trust them with an order for what's left - but they are gone in their current form. Whether they completely vanish or not will be decided quickly.

My guess is that someone somewhere will pay something for the name. But even that's not certain, just a guess.
    Too bad.I always liked Speedgoat.
    ...sign o' the times I guess...
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm wondering if it's safe to order anything from them now...
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I think it's still very safe.

They are first of all genuinely good people still there processing everything, secondly it's in their very best interests to keep the good name by following through on it all if they can be sold as a going concern - and thirdly, you are in the end protected by your card agreement.

Still, there is precious little left now, and some of that at least is one-offs for items you'll buy in pairs or very esoteric parts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Rep for this man! Snagged me some bargains from Speedgoat through amazon without the crazy SH costs.

I do kind of regret waiting for prices to drop before jumping on some of the things, that are not out of stock. Amazon shows how much stock of somethings too. Those XO Trail brakes would've been nice, but I wouldn't look forward to buying uncommon sized brake pads.
    Fair warning about ordering from speedgoat on amazon. I got a huge runaround from them over a fork ordered through their amazon store last fall. The listing and what they had in stock did not at all match and was shipped a completely different fork and they didn't give a damn about trying to fix it. Maybe part of why they're closing up shop in the end.

rsa
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Speedgoat clearance/close-out sale

I picked up an xtr build kit straight off a SC tallboy for a great price. Everything was as advertised, except the carbon seatpost was missing. I had trouble getting through by phone, so emailed. They called the next day, and shipped out a comparable seatpost right away. Seems like good service for a company going out of business. Sorry to hear about their misfortune.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    They were responsive a few week ago when i ordered my 120mm Fox fork... But i can't get a response from the now.

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by molliever View Post

Thanks for the info. That explains the dirt cheap prices. Wish I jumped on it earlier, but I got the Silver 31.8 Hope QR clamp like I initially wanted.

Got my order in from Amazon without problem. Just make sure you add an item with low shipping, like 1.99, from Speedgoat and it'll ship for the lowest amount.

human dehumidifier
    A couple years or so back there was a thread talking about the change to Speedgoat with new management moving the store from PA to IL and blowing up the company. At least I saw it a couple years ago, the thread may have even been older than that.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    Sad to hear, I always liked Speedgoat.
    2015 SC Tallboy C
    2013 SC TRC
    2014 Heckler
    2014 Bronson C

mtbr member
    Hopefully they have decided to stop sending emails on a daily basis to tell people about the exact same sale. I just unsubscribed from the newsletter. Borderline spam!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast