mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Specialized rockhopper comp disc for $375?

Your thoughts on this? Courtesy of a Craigslist posting, tomorrow afternoon, I am going to look at a 2001/02 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc. The owner's description of the bike includes:

17" frame, great condition, always kept indoors, brand new disc pads and new rear tire, with Trek computer/clock/stopwatch/odometer, a good bike with no issues. Beleive its a 01/2. Cant remember.

The seller was asking $450, hasn't sold it in a week, I offered $350, and he said he'd sell for $375. Is $375 a good deal, assuming when I look at it and ride it seems to be in that condition? Anything I should specifically look at other than the obvious (rust, body damage, chain/brake issues/noise when riding)?

In addition, would this be a better deal at $375 for a 2001 Rockhopper Comp Disk OR $350 for a 2010 Hardrock v-brakes? That's about all I can spend.

Thanks.

P.S. I passed up on the Trek mentioned a week or two ago.
    Last edited by rmkwebdesign; 08-31-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Is it this bike?

2001 Specialized Rockhopper A1 FS Comp Disc; Complete specs

If everything's working, it would be okay. Not a great deal, but not terrible. If you're planning to use it off-road, you should be aware that disc brakes and suspension technology both change fast enough that you may start to run into problems if you need to maintain either. Do some research and make sure that you won't be locked into using those disc calipers with the mounts on that frame.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I guess, perhaps, a better question would be, which would be better: $375 for a 2001 Rockhopper Comp Disk OR $350 for a 2010 Hardrock v-brakes? That's about all I can spend.

Fat-tired Roadie
    If they're in good shape, the components on the Rockhopper are a lot nicer. And the '10 Hardrock's fork is probably no better, possibly worse, than the one on the older bike. The frames are made using the same material and construction, so they're probably pretty comparable.

I'd still make sure to read up on disc mounts. That frame didn't appear to have V-brake mounts, so if the standard for the mount has changed in a crucial way, you might be stuck with the old Maguras, which could be a big problem if you broke one. The Brake Time forum or Specialized's technical support people should be able to give you more useful information - I could easily just be being paranoid.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

cougarbait
    what?!?! $350 is way too much for a 01/02
    $450 is insane
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I agree w/ Lamda. Should be more like $150 to $200 max.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    $375 is a little high for that model year. I just picked up a 2007 Rockhopper Comp Disc for $400 on Craigslist and thought I paid too much ( I sold my 2008 Hard Rock Sport for $280 to get it.). The Rockhopper is in excellent condition and appeared to have only been ridden on road. I would say $220-240 would be a reasonable price for an 01-02 Rockhopper. BTW my 2008 Hardrock Sport with V-brakes rides almost the same as my 2007 rockhopper but weighs almost 4-5lbs more and has a crappier fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I appreciate everyone's comments.

I've been shopping on Craigslist for about 2 months at least in about five different cities in MI including Ann Arbor, Lansing, and Grand Rapids - and have never seen anything like a Rockhopper for $200. These great deals everyone's talkinga bout...I don't know how to find them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmkwebdesign
    I appreciate everyone's comments.

I've been shopping on Craigslist for about 2 months at least in about five different cities in MI including Ann Arbor, Lansing, and Grand Rapids - and have never seen anything like a Rockhopper for $200. These great deals everyone's talkinga bout...I don't know how to find them.
    the quality of craigslist always depends on the area, and many people seem to forget this when they tell you how awesome all theirs deals were. My small city has tons of bikers, but I still had to drive 2 hours to another city to get a semi-decent deal the used bike I was looking for two years ago. You probably can still find a good deal locally, but it may require a lot of patience

bicycle bicycle bicycle
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    the quality of craigslist always depends on the area, and many people seem to forget this when they tell you how awesome all theirs deals were. My small city has tons of bikers, but I still had to drive 2 hours to another city to get a semi-decent deal the used bike I was looking for two years ago. You probably can still find a good deal locally, but it may require a lot of patience

That is a great point about patience. If you need a bike now and want to get riding it could take some time to find 1. a bike that fits you 2. a bike that is in decent shape 3. a bike that is an awesome deal.

So I would suggest if you want to ride now and don't have a bike make sure you at least get 1 and 2 above.

You can always lie to your buddies and tell them it was a great deal

Peace

Religion = Non-thinking
    375 is way too much. i just sold my 2009 P.1 AM Disc for $390 lol. i prob got owned

for an 01/02 i'd pay no more than 200, prob like 150. everything will need adjusting/replacing + labor isn't going to be cheap
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Good advice from everyone. Thank you so much.

Religion = Non-thinking
    so what price will u be getting that 01/02 RH comp disc for?

and btw, they had disc brakes in 2001/2002?
    RH SL Pro