Bicycle Addict
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I love XTR cranksets but moved on due to the outrageous cost of replacement chainrings, and that is if you can even find the correct rings as they seem to change every year. I guess the fact that you only have two chainrings to replace on a 2X10 may help reduce the cost to replace them.
    Last edited by thegooddoctor; 10-04-2012 at 06:31 AM. Reason: 2X10 consideration
    If it doesn't include a hike a bike, it isn't a ride.

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooddoctor View Post
    I love XTR cranksets but moved on due to the outrageous cost of replacement chainrings, and that is if you can even find the correct rings as they seem to change every year. I guess the fact that you only have two chainrings to replace on a 2X10 may help reduce the cost to replace them.
    Yup. I was strongly considering buying these today until I found out that the BCD on these is some weird 80mm or something like that. All the chain rings that I own are 104mm. So there goes that idea.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That's a great deal. There are new XTR cranks that have the 104 pattern i believe, but I think that's the trail version. or a more compact chainring version. These that are on sale are unfortunately a wonky proprietary bcd that you won't be able to find rings for.

thread crapper
    Feb 2008
    Not really wonky, just new. SRAM, Shimano, Race Face, e.13, hell, even Wickwerks make rings in that size. It's becoming more of the norm.

mtbr member
    42/30

Tempting but my legs would crack lol

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kevocastro View Post
    42/30

Yeah, those are pretty monstrous gears.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    42/30

I think you're supposed to run those with an 11-36 ten speed cassette. So your low gear at 30-36 is going to be equivalent to running around 22-24. It's like giving up your two smallest gears, 22-28 and 22-32.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    I think you're supposed to run those with an 11-36 ten speed cassette. So your low gear at 30-36 is going to be equivalent to running around 22-24. It's like giving up your two smallest gears, 22-28 and 22-32.
    Well I don't know if I'm weak or my kind of riding but actually running a 11-36 cassette on 39/26 cranks and feel like I'm on the edge

mtbr member
    Well I don't know if I'm weak or my kind of riding but actually running a 11-36 cassette on 39/26 cranks and feel like I'm on the edge
    It could be worse: I ride 34-18 SS, and I can tell you that I rode to the edge, over it, into free-fall down the canyon cliff, tumbled across the talus at the bottom, fell into the river, was dragged through class five rapids, over a waterfall, more rapids, then through the turbines of a hydroelectric dam.

mtbr member
    I am not able to do that since knee's disease, actually if I later change the cranks would be looking for 38/24, there's a section down here that is a tough 2 mile tech climb that demands a lot of power

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    It could be worse: I ride 34-18 SS, and I can tell you that I rode to the edge, over it, into free-fall down the canyon cliff, tumbled across the talus at the bottom, fell into the river, was dragged through class five rapids, over a waterfall, more rapids, then through the turbines of a hydroelectric dam.

If you are serious, well done!

Helmetless Crasher
    That's a great deal.

For anyone looking for a good crankset at a good price, I snagged an FSA SL-K triple bb30 crankset on eBay for $235 last week. Seller seemed to be unloading a few of them.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two