mtbr member

Single Speed cranks

Looking to build a 1X9. Any deals on single speed cranks?

I can't weld
    If you haven't seen my thread on 1x9, check it out here: Show pics of your 1x9 setup

Its only 20 pages and 480 posts. Should only take 4-5 hours to get through.
    If you don't have that much time, I'll summarize. Any crank can be single speed. Just replace the outer ring with a chainguard, or leave it off completely. Middlering position is preferable because of the chainline and the ring sizes are usually the best. Most people run something between a 32 to 38, depending on how much steep climbing you do.

Your choice of cranks is only limited by what you can put on your bottom bracket and your budget.

You'll find a wide assortment of cranks on the thread, from BMX style to XTRs. The Middleburn ISIS would be my personal choice if I had the $. I've used a Truvativ Hussefelt for the last 2 years that were taken off a new bike at JensonUSA. I paid $60. Completely bulletproof. If you want bling, there are some amazing options out there, especially in the titanium chainring area.

For a truly budget setup, just throw a single speed specific chainring on your current crank. They're designed to help keep the chain from throwing as easily with their tall teeth and no shift ramps. Lots of people use the Mono Veloce model from Blackspire or the GuideRing from e.13. I've used both and don't see any difference. I have the guidering currently.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Thank you, I just sold my XC frame with the M960 XTR cranks. I would like to buy some cranks with a bash guard. It just seems cheaper and easier that way.

banned
    I'm no expert and don't have a huge thread on 1X9 but, I'll try to help anyway. Try Universalcycles price match. Just make up a price and a competitor and it'll spit out it's lowest price 24-7.

ong
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I concur... I'm running an old Specialized square taper triple crank on my 1x9, with a Salsa singlespeed ring... whole setup cost me about $20. I do have a bashguard replacing the outer ring, but it's from that woman who sells them on eBay for like $7 each... At that price, it's almost cheaper than buying shorter bolts!