Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Shimano XTR 26" wheelsets at Competitive Cyclist - $450 (trail) & $600 (race)

Last edited by chauzie; 06-08-2012 at 11:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It's very tempting but I couldn't find anyone rocking this and sharing some reviews. I'm running an I9 AM wheelset now but the ust spec on this wheelset and being at that price makes it a very good deal.

Just Ride
    I bought this wheelset , the race version and it's a great set!!! I am 195 lbs and ride very rocky terrain and these wheels hold up very well. This is the second XTR wheelset I have had and have had great luck with them. Shimano hubs just roll so nice! I have them on my Blur TRc . They are light and fast rolling. My only knock would be they are not as stiff as my Mavic Crossmax XTs, but this is only noticeable when riding very aggressive through very rough terrain, again this is the race set. The price is hard to beat, my local shops cost on these is 900.00$ so they are less then pleased with shimanos selling practice. I would give these wheels 4.5 out of 5 stars! Hope this helps. Oh yea, I didn't have to pay sales tax where I am at either from competitive cyclist. Another savings!Shimano XTR 26" wheelsets at Competitive Cyclist - 0-imageuploadedbytapatalk1339129744.852920.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Well someone at Competitive must read this forum and decide to change the price.

So now the trail wheelset has been lowered to $450 (from $500), while the race wheelset has been jacked up to $600 (from $500). Great deal if you're looking for a trail wheelset. Seriously at $450 it's a no brainer. The Shimano hubs are good stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Kingshredd,

Can you do me a favor and check your rear wheel hub? I just bought this wheelset and I noticed the hole that the skewer goes through on the rear hub is not round. It's more like a hexagonal shape. The skewer fits through fine, but i have not installed the wheel yet. I can't post a picture yet as this is my first post.

ups and downs
    It's a hex shape because that's the 14mm socket you use to remove the freehub

Exploded diagram
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Who is John Galt?
    I ordered a set of the trail wheels last night and got a shipping notice in about 5 minutes. For awhile, the price went up on these. I contacted CC and they told me there is a new system in place that's not working so well, so if you see issues with their pricing shoot them an e-mail. The wheels were back to the low price right away after I pointed this out. Heck of a deal! They also told me I only need one 6-bolt adapter to run my Avid brakes, the front wheel doesn't need one. Plan to put this on my new Yeti ARC and move the Crosstrails to my Yeti 575 since those wheels can be switched from 15QR to QR skewers. I have an XTR crank on the ARC so should be a nice looking combo.
    What, me hurry?

Who is John Galt?
    Wow, got my tracking e-mail, Competitive Cyclist shipped my wheels at 1:13 in the a.m. I'll have them Monday. That's service!
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Ride report and pics should be in order. Is it free shipping ?

Who is John Galt?
    Indeed, I'll post up. Shipping was $24 for me. I bought the bike and most of the bits from them, they have a great no questions asked return policy, and on frames they machine all of the surfaces like the BB area. Wish they were still in Little Rock though, that made shipping really quick for me.
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    rockyuphill...thanks for that. I should have looked at the service part of the manual before posting.

Bigjimmac...I'm pretty sure you will need 2x 6-bolt adapters. At least for the set I received, it does not come with any centerlock to 6-bolt adapters. The front wheel is definately a centerlock and their was no way to put on my 6 bolt avids without an adapter.

Who is John Galt?
    Well, here's what they told me: "Good news, the front wheel will be fine with a 6 bolt rotor. The rear you will need an adapter. "

I hope the Shimano adapters are better than the Mavic ones, not too thrilled with them.
    What, me hurry?

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chauzie View Post
    Nice Deal

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I may be selling a new never used set of the XTR Race wheels and XTR center locks rotors. Man, price will have to a good chunk less than CC.

Who is John Galt?
    Got the wheels, they look great. But no ride report, of course you need two adapters for 6-bolt rotors. CC did offer to pick up the cost for Express shipping, but it will be Tuesday before I see it. Meanwhile, I am moving the Mavic Crosstrails to my full suspension bike, it uses QR instead of 15 through axle. Of course I can't find the plugs that convert it, so had to order those. Now both bikes down! Good thing I have a road bike. Some day I will get a ride in these wheels...got to say the XTR's mounted up right away with a hand pump using Kenda Nevegal tubeless tires. I added CaffeLatex after I got them on. Stay tuned!
    What, me hurry?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    These bad boys are now 374!!!! That is smoking deal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chauzie View Post
    How strong would those 26" trail wheels be?

Who is John Galt?
    My experience so far has been positive although I've had some issues getting them set for my bike. As I posted before, you will need a pair of adapters if you want to run 6-bolt rotors -- I have Avid Elixer CR on my bike. I had a tough time installing the front adapter, the Park Cassette Removal tool I own for tightening these does not fit over the axle. Shimano or maybe Park must make another tool for this?

The tires sealed perfectly with a hand pump, I'm using Kenda Nevegal UST. I added CafeeLatex and it went in the valves much easier than on my Mavic wheels. I haven't thrashed these much yet but they look like they are built extremely tough. They weigh less than the Mavic CrossTrails I was running, but part of that is the rotors, I put 180s on the Mavics and 160s on the XTR.

By the way, they came with wheel storage bags which I thought was classy. Doubt I'll ever use them though. THere's also a spoke wrench included.

Time will tell how these hold up but I am not expecting any problems. Now if I can just find the end caps that turn my Mavics back into 9mm QR, I can actually get both of my bikes in service...anyone have a set of these they don't need, or know where I put them, LOL??
    What, me hurry?

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Quote Originally Posted by ferros View Post
    These bad boys are now 374!!!! That is smoking deal.
    Same price at departmentofgoods.com as well but with free shipping! Apparently Competitive Cyclist is part of their family of brands now (Chainlove.com, Backcountry.com, Steepandcheap.com, etc)

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    seems like the $374 is only for FRONT wheel in 985 race version, so be sure check it out before you pull up the trigger.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Quote Originally Posted by pschly View Post
    seems like the $374 is only for FRONT wheel in 985 race version, so be sure check it out before you pull up the trigger.
    At Department of Goods It's for the entire wheelset (front and rear)
    http://www.departmentofgoods.com/shi...-race-wheelset

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MondoRides View Post
    At Department of Goods It's for the entire wheelset (front and rear) ...
    Cool. $375 out the door for the Trail wheelset. Both Race and Trail showing $375 and free shipping.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Wow!!! $374 delivered is a fire sale.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    But why aren't they selling like pancakes

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Possible reasons.....

26er not as marketable as 29er or the newly-hyped 650b
    Use 15mm TA front
    Internal rim width not 21mm +