Warrior's Society

Shimano SLX M660-10 OE Crankset @ Jenson $89

Shimano SLX M660-10 OE Crankset > Components > Drivetrain | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Only downfall is, it does not include a BB.

The SLX FC-M660 crankset for is designed for Dyna-Sys, Shimano's new 10-speed drivetrain. The goal of Dyna-Sys is to provide the rider with an intuitive gear combination which then translates to more efficient use of power being delivered to the rear wheel. The secret of Dyna-Sys is the 32-tooth Primary Driving Gear which lets riders get the most out of modern suspension designs.
    Fits 68/73mm bottom bracket shells
    Steel/glassfibre composite middle chain ring for great durability
    Hollowtech II hollow-forged aluminum crankarms
    Durable pipe billet steel axles
    Wide gear range for all conditions
    Integrated Crank Spindle
    Approximate weight 889 grams, including bottom bracket
    Please Note: This is marked an OE Item because it lacks original packaging. The item has never been installed or used.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Just got mine in the mail today. Already have a CK BB and custom rings. Just needed crank arms and these were a steal. Only 40 gm heavier that my XTs too.

undercover brother
    Ordered mine Tuesday! Should be here by monday. Insane deal

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by WV_XCE View Post
    Just got mine in the mail today. Already have a CK BB and custom rings. Just needed crank arms and these were a steal. Only 40 gm heavier that my XTs too.

Same here......plus I needed mine for a SS so I could care less about the rings.

Ordered mine on Weds. and got them yesterday.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Same here......plus I needed mine for a SS so I could care less about the rings.

Ordered mine on Weds. and got them yesterday.
    Same here. DID WE JUST BECOME BEST FRIENDS!?

mtbr member
    funny... I've got a CK BB sitting here waiting for a crankset. I was waiting for a good price on the m780's but this popped up and the price is right. Should be here next week! My SS is already running the 660/CK BB combo and it works flawlessly.

B.Ike
    did this just pop up? I think these came in months ago. I bought 2x9 slx around that time from blue sky.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    They were but I believe they sold out. I ordered a set as soon as I saw them back up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have a tech question in to Jensen about this but haven't heard anything back in a couple of days so I'm hoping somebody here can help -

I would like to buy this crankset, but it doesn't come with a BB and right now I have a square taper un72 BB so I would need to replace everything to install this style.

If I buy this crankset, and this BB -
    Shimano XT M770 Bottom Bracket > Components > Drivetrain > Bottom Brackets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

and this tool -
    Park BBT-9 Bottom Bracket Tool > Accessories > Tools > Bottom Bracket Tools | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Is that -everything- I will need to install? I already have my old crankset/BB removed.

My concern is the first line here from the description of the BB -
    "This replacement set of Hollowtech II outboard bearing bottom bracket cups for Shimano XT M770 series of cranksets offers smooth, stiff performance for all Shimano cranks. Will also work for any Hollowtech II type mountain bike cranksets such as Shimano Deore or XTR. Note: Not compatible with Road type Hollowtech cranks.
    Includes Left and Right Cups
    English Threaded
    Fits 68 or 73mm bottom bracket shells (most modern mountain bikes)"

Is this just the silver side cups, and not the entire BB assembly as the picture implies? Are there additional parts assumed for installation that are not included?

Also, I'm open to other BB's if they are better and/or cheaper, this just happens to be the cheapest external BB I could find on jensen's site. The rest of my bike has been upgraded to 2013 XT 10-speed shadow plus parts.
    2013 Trek/Gary Fisher Rumblefish Elite XXL/23"
    120mm 29er

2004 Santa Cruz Bullitt XL White
    170mm 26er

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Blind View Post
    I have a tech question in to Jensen about this but haven't heard anything back in a couple of days so I'm hoping somebody here can help -

I would like to buy this crankset, but it doesn't come with a BB and right now I have a square taper un72 BB so I would need to replace everything to install this style.

If I buy this crankset, and this BB -
    Shimano XT M770 Bottom Bracket > Components > Drivetrain > Bottom Brackets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

and this tool -
    Park BBT-9 Bottom Bracket Tool > Accessories > Tools > Bottom Bracket Tools | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Is that -everything- I will need to install? I already have my old crankset/BB removed.

My concern is the first line here from the description of the BB -
    "This replacement set of Hollowtech II outboard bearing bottom bracket cups for Shimano XT M770 series of cranksets offers smooth, stiff performance for all Shimano cranks. Will also work for any Hollowtech II type mountain bike cranksets such as Shimano Deore or XTR. Note: Not compatible with Road type Hollowtech cranks.
    Includes Left and Right Cups
    English Threaded
    Fits 68 or 73mm bottom bracket shells (most modern mountain bikes)"

Is this just the silver side cups, and not the entire BB assembly as the picture implies? Are there additional parts assumed for installation that are not included?

Also, I'm open to other BB's if they are better and/or cheaper, this just happens to be the cheapest external BB I could find on jensen's site. The rest of my bike has been upgraded to 2013 XT 10-speed shadow plus parts.

Yes that is the BB and tool that will work with these cranks.

mtbr member
    Good deal on nice cranks, I just installed them on my bike. Here is the best deal I found on the BB:
    Amazon.com: Shimano SM-BB70 Standard Bottom Bracket Adapters, Left and Right: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Shimano SLX M660-10 OE Crankset @ Jenson $89

M660-10 SLX cranks are back on sale at Jenson. Picked em up for $85 after $5 off $25+ coupon.

Looking to set these up for singlespeed . I hope the spider works well for that setup. Anyone do this and can offer any input?
    Selma Ti.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I would recommend a BBG Bashwich. You can order the parts here. Get a 104 BCD outer bash and 64 inner. Do not get the superlight, they will bend. The regular can take a beating and is guaranteed for life. It will act as a chain retention device and protect you chainring (and your leg).

Products

Shimano SLX M660-10 OE Crankset @ Jenson -bbg.jpg