Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    rjx
    mtbr member
    I'm a noob about to do a custom build (LBS will assemble it). A lot of the lingo in this thread is new to me and I'm trying to learn, little by little.

I have some questions regarding the XT brakes. Are they not as good of a deal as originally thought? It seems like some people didn't get exactly what they thought / or were hoping to get. From what I understand it's still a good deal, but not as good of deal as originally thought. Right?

So if I were to buy these XT brakes, I'd need to do the following?
    --- buy Ice-Tech rotors (I know I want a 180/160 combo)
    --- buy "dinner" or "finned" pads. Are dinner / finned pads the same thing? From my research finned pads are good for downhill rides. One trail I'll be frequenting goes up to 4000 feet.
    --- buy olives
    --- make it so the pads aren't backwards (or LBS can do that)

Quote Originally Posted by shoal View Post
    Got my parts today whoaa fast. The brakes are not dinner pads, ohhh well still a good deal..... Would have much preferred icetech
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    Guess we found the explanation for the cheap prices?
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    Bit of an exaggeration. Add two pair of finned pads from Art's and you'll have two full brakes and 4 sets of pads for $195 total. Feel free to share with the group if you can beat that.
    Quote Originally Posted by titusquasi View Post
    FYI. My XT brakes are backwards (right hand front) and the XT shadow rear der did not require the extra mounting link as described on the website.
    Quote Originally Posted by elborikua View Post
    Mine came with bleed block. No extra olives. Quick trip to lbs and all good now.
    Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Keep in mind that this thread started when Ribble had a 10% off coupon on Shimano. Their prices are still good, but they were very good.

You don't absolutely need Ice Tech. I suppose it depends on how hard you use your brakes and on what terrain. I'm sure there are lots of guys out there perfectly happy without finned pads and Ice Tech rotors. Depends on your budget too. You may be perfectly happy with rt76 or even rt66 rotors and regular pads.

Dinner pads made me crack up! haha. It was a autocorrect gone wrong by the poster. He meant finned pads I'm sure.

Yeah, if you want to shorten the lines you'll need olives.

He wasn't referring to the pads being backwards. He was referring to the brakes being set up Moto or Euro. That means the front brake is on the right and rear on the left. If you want them to be US (front left/rear right) you have to just swap the lines.

They come with adapters for a 180mm rotor up front and 160mm in back btw. Those don't usually come in retail boxed brakes.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by n74740; 05-02-2014 at 09:05 PM.

rjx
    mtbr member
    Hi n74740. Thank your for your reply.

I originally replied with a few videos of the kind of trails I'll be riding and asked what rotor / pad combo you'd recommend. But I thought it would be better if I just started a topic in the brake forum instead of hijacking this thread.

Here's a link if you'd like to check it out.
    Which rotors / pads should I get for my needs?

thanks again for your reply.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by rideitall View Post
    Update - still waiting on second order that has 3 x 10 Cranks, shifter set and XT cassette.

I as away from the office for a few days and was hoping it would have been sitting in the office waiting for me when I returned. But not yet.

Fingers crossed again.

No moss...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rideitall View Post
    Update - still waiting on second order that has 3 x 10 Cranks, shifter set and XT cassette.

I as away from the office for a few days and was hoping it would have been sitting in the office waiting for me when I returned. But not yet.

Fingers crossed again.
    Still have not received my order. It was supposed to have shipped on April 11. So over one month and still not received.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Okay, my drivetrain components finally came in. Took about 5 weeks to get from the UK to Vancouver, BC. Parts were packed well but not in original boxes. That's fine with me as it means less to recycle or throw out (bubble wrap).

All in all still good as the price was fantastic and did not get dinged with taxes or customs duty on either package.

Now to get the goodies installed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5