mtbr member
    Jan 2004

sette/weyless/perfor,mance carbon bars - any info?

just curious about this. I've been noticing that several mail order shops - Pricepoint, Supergo, now Performance -are offering their own carbon bars. Anybody know who is manufacturing these? How does the quality compare to Easton or other name brands?

I bought some road handlebars at Performance a few years ago, and was able to determing that they had re-branded another manufacturer's bar (manufacturer's stamp still on the bar) I don't remember the manufacturer, but the performance bar was almost half price.

then again - discount carbon bars sound like a good way to get hurt.

Anybody have informed opinions or first hand knowledge?

formerly ss-nyc
    Feb 2004

Nashbar and Supergo

Quote Originally Posted by grundy
    just curious about this. I've been noticing that several mail order shops - Pricepoint, Supergo, now Performance -are offering their own carbon bars. Anybody know who is manufacturing these? How does the quality compare to Easton or other name brands?

I bought some road handlebars at Performance a few years ago, and was able to determing that they had re-branded another manufacturer's bar (manufacturer's stamp still on the bar) I don't remember the manufacturer, but the performance bar was almost half price.

then again - discount carbon bars sound like a good way to get hurt.

Anybody have informed opinions or first hand knowledge?
    Aluminium bars, stems, and seatposts from Nashbar are just rebranded Kalloy. They are fine and I have used them on bikes that did not require all "top shelf" parts. The brakes they sell are rebranded Tektros.

As for carbon bits. I am using a Nashbar carbon road fork that cost me $65. It it made in asia like almost verything these days and is probably just a "factory second" that did not pass quality control of one of the larger well known companies. It seems the issues are cosmetic becasue no company, even Nashbar, is going to risk a lawsuit with parts that do not meet safety control standards. I actually like it becasue it came with no stickers and is a nice match for my Ti frame that has all the stickers removed.

I also just ordered one of the carbon road forks from Supergo for another bike project and it seems just as nice as the one from Nashbar.

For the money...these items cannot be beat.

mtbr member
    No complaints from me. I have been happy with all my budget store brand parts.

Weyless DH stem
    Weyless FR/DH 2" riser bars
    Weyless basic seatpost
    Nashbar basic seatpost (only company to sell the French 26.4 diameter online)
    Performance Forte 700c commuter tires
    Give me a big scoop of Manteca!

ride
    From Bicycle Retailer:

"Performance, Supergo Recall Handlebars

SEPTEMBER 27, 2004 -- WASHINGTON, D.C. (BRAIN)--Two carbon fiber handlebar models, sold by Performance and Supergo, were recalled last week. The Forte Flyte OS and Weyless CF200 handlebars can develop cracks that may not be visible.

Performance received one report of handlebars breaking. No injuries were reported. Some 300 units are affected.

Both handlebars are natural carbon gray.

For replacement or refund information, consumers can contact Performance at (800) 553-8324 or Supergo at (800) 398-9702."
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    ...crack...
    that doesn't sound good.

thanks for the info.

_
    Mar 2004
    so, is SETTE weak? i was thinking of ordering up the carbon riserbar that pricepoint has for like 54.99 or something.