mtbr member

Seriously, how to Wiggle and CRC do it?

My first overseas order was the Hope Hoops deal on Wiggle. Stan's Crest rims and Hope hubs for $325 delivered to the US. It took 5 days.

My second order was a 2013 XT 2x10 crankset for $156 delivered (MSRP is $340...my local shop wanted $400).

My third order, from CRC, was for a 2013 XT 786 front and rear mech and a set of XT iSpec shifters. They were about half of retail and arrived in 6 days.

How the heck can these two companies offer prices this low and get the stuff to the US this fast at that price?

I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    any new wiggle coupons lately? i missed the coupons from last week.

reading comprehension wat
    waht an inconcievable dael!
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just goes to show you how high the mark up really is..........or, which doesn't seem to be the case here, dumping old stock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tuskenraider View Post
    Just goes to show you how high the mark up really is..........or, which doesn't seem to be the case here, dumping old stock.
    Totally. 2013 XT is old stock. Along with Hope Pro 2 Evo wheelsets. Those hubs change and rims change every 6 months.

MTB B'dos
    They buy out old stock in MASSIVE quantities. You be surprised the difference you pay for something when you buy 1,000 pieces over 10 OP, I'd give those wheels a check, I got a 29er Crest/Pro2 EVO from them and the thing was out of true in no time at all, had to relace it with DT Swiss Comp spokes to good tension and it's been true ever since.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Runs to CRC to check out crazy deals!!

Yup....crazy!

I have ordered a few things from them, which I could not have afforded at lbs.

No Stranger to danger....
    CRC is the biggest and imo the best online bike shop on the planet.
    I run all my deals through them, their service kills my local bike shops, they are polite over the phone, items are sent well packed to the other side of the world FOR FREE..

Would you believe they ship out up too 20 thousand parcels A DAY, thats what one of their reps told me over the phone.

Ireland has a struggling economy atm, but these guys are killing it, and due to the fine way they treat me im happy to give my money to them than give one cent of it to the poor excuse for service where i come from, its so liberating to never have to walk into a bike shop here, and i would have been happy to but after years of very poor service from the locals ive voted with my feet.

Places like CRC and wiggle buy in bulk and cut out the over heads of having to have bricks and mortar stores, and god bless them i say..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Merlin Cycle is another great site in Europe, probably the best prices on Reba and more options/selections of forks than CRC right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    They buy out old stock in MASSIVE quantities. You be surprised the difference you pay for something when you buy 1,000 pieces over 10 OP, I'd give those wheels a check, I got a 29er Crest/Pro2 EVO from them and the thing was out of true in no time at all, had to relace it with DT Swiss Comp spokes to good tension and it's been true ever since.
    Well they don't use cheap spokes in the builds, my Mavic EX721/Hope Pro 2 from CRC came with Sapim spokes, abused them for a full season, and never once did I touch them or true them. Sold them spinning straight.

MTB B'dos
    Agree with TONE, I had a semi bad first experience with CRC, which turned out to be one crappy CS rep, but was properly rectified and have since ordered well over $1500 US in stuff since December and been very happy. Stuff arrives normally with 10 days all the way here to the Caribbean and through the post office so no stupid duties or handling fees like using a courier like DHL, UPS or FedEx. CRC is my go to "local" shop now, Jenson is now second if I can't find it on CRC or someone is going to the US and will bring stuff back and I find a great deal.

That is a heavier type rim and hence if I'm not wrong they use thicker spokes. My Pro2/Crest came with triple butted light ass spokes and I guess the theorizing behind it is the Crest is a weight weenie, race rim so build as light as possible, but to me loosing a mere few grams using light spokes, yet causing an inferior build is not good. Also, another point IIRC is that Hope builds the some of the wheels while CRC builds others - FYI mine came from Wiggle, not CRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    Well they don't use cheap spokes in the builds, my Mavic EX721/Hope Pro 2 from CRC came with Sapim spokes, abused them for a full season, and never once did I touch them or true them. Sold them spinning straight.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

reading comprehension wat

Chain Reaction Cycles ? Behind The Scenes - BikeRadar (be sure to see the gallery: Gallery: Chain Reaction Cycles ? Behind The Scenes - BikeRadar)

Some history: Chain Reaction Cycle - 25 Years Old - Pinkbike

I've seen a picture of a big airliner, I think a Boeing 747, with CRC logos in the launch of a new Nukeproof model. Not sure if that was just a special promo marketing deal or if that's what they use to offer free shipping to the US, but they gotta be big to do something like that.
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mtbr member

Re: Seriously, how to Wiggle and CRC do it?

Wow. Never new crc was that big. Holy ****.

mtbr member

Seriously, how to Wiggle and CRC do it?

I always thought CRC was great too, I've bought a lot of stuff from them in the past, and dirt cheap. But then I ordered some deore hydros and they never came.And on top of that CRC doesn't seem too keen on doing something about it... Made me lose a little faith in them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2013 Rockhopper 29- The hot rod fun bike
    2013 Stumpy HT Comp 29- The racin' machine

the target bike basher
    Lot's of misinformation in this thread. No, CRC and the like don't buy tons of old stock. They get by with a different way of doing business than us. In the US bike shops have to buy from a distributor like QBP who buys from the manufacturer. In the UK there are laws avoiding this, allowing every store to buy straight from the manufacturer eliminating the middle man and effectively lowering costs.
    Quote Originally Posted by mothahucker
    Go hit some more two foot plywood jumps in your culdesack on your toys'r'us magma

mtbr member
    Theres nothing old stock about current model gear. QBP is killing bike shops, its easy to find stuff online from domestic retailers who can beat the cost a bike shop pays to qbp.

two wheel whore
    OP, where are you located? I'm right outside DC, and it's been 13 business days with CRC with no delivery yet. They split it in two shipments, the DHL came in within a week, and they used "Parcel Force" with the other package which I'm still waiting for. I'm not worried yet, I've heard of guys waiting a few weeks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmoo View Post
    OP, where are you located? I'm right outside DC, and it's been 13 business days with CRC with no delivery yet. They split it in two shipments, the DHL came in within a week, and they used "Parcel Force" with the other package which I'm still waiting for. I'm not worried yet, I've heard of guys waiting a few weeks.
    I'm located just outside of Houston, TX. Most packages take 12-15 days for them to arrive at my door.

FYI, Once, I waited 4 weeks and my package never came so I contacted CRC. They told me if it does not arrive after 15 business days, then I should contact them for a replacement package.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Another reason that they can sell cheaper is that many manufacturers set a minimum price that shops are allowed to sell their stuff for in the USA. I believe that many of the EU counties have laws against price fixing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmoo View Post
    I'm in Atlanta. I've had 3 orders from CRC or Wiggle in the last two months and they all arrived in either 5 or 6 calendar days.

My last order went through Parcel Force and the online tracking was strange. It was showing something like "DESTINATION NY-PITT" the day it arrived at my door in Atlanta.

BTW, another surprising thing about CRC and Wiggle is that the parts are arriving in full retail packaging. This isn't like Blue Sky Cycling, where they arrive in plastic bags. The Shimano drivetrain I ordered from CRC came in those beautiful black retail boxes and contained all the manuals, instructions, and small parts -- spacers, washers, housings, covers, screws, nuts, etc.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The other reason is british pound is weak vs US$ and CDN $.