Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    don't thread on me

SCAMBIABIKES not Cambriabikes

Just a warning to potential Cambria customers that the PriceSmasher Feature sure felt like a SCAM to me.

On 4/2/2008 I used their Price Smasher Form to try and purchase some Shimano pedals. Cambria price was $89.95 and JensonUSA price was $79.00. I filled out the PriceSmasher Form online pointing out the $10.95 difference and Cambria immediately sent me a coupon code. I proceeded to checkout and placed an order with my credit card.

Their invoice was as totals:
    Price of Shimano M647 pedal was $89.95
    Cost of shipping was $10.00
    Cambria Coupon Discount was ($49.40) (I was shocked at the discount amount)
    Total was $50.55

I placed my order on 4/2/2008 with my MASTERCARD.

On 4/4/2008, two days after my order was placed, Cambria sent the following email:

Thank you for using Instant Price Smasher!

Based on our Price Smasher criteria, your Price Smasher has been
    declined. From initial information provided by our
    customers, we accept all Price Smasher Web Orders and provide a code with which to input the order. Each order is reviewed for accuracy of information. If upon review of the order we find it does not meet our Price Smash criteria, as stated in our policy information, we reserve the right to decline the order. In most cases each Price Smash coded order is accepted. As in this case, occasionally we decline an order.
    Your order has been canceled, but you can call us and open it back up if you wish to proceed with any part of the order. We regret any inconvenience this may cause.

We thank you for trying Instant Price Smasher and urge you to try again as over 99% of valid Price Smashers are accepted.
    Please accept this Free Shipping coupon code for use with your next
    domestic shipping order. CBOPSFS1
    It is good for Free Shipping (one time) on any order and is not good in combination with any other coupon or discount.
    You may insert this code during checkout in the discount box provided.

If I read between the lines correctly, they are suggesting that the information I supplied was invalid. It was, in fact, accurate. I always thought that once you accepted my order and sent me a confirmation number, we had a DEAL.

I don't mean to sound like a petty whiner over such a small amount of money, but the point is, if you will treat me like that over $40, what are you going to do to me when the transaction is for $4,000? I would suggest that losing a customer for life is far more costly than eating a minor discounting mistake.

As always, BUYER BEWARE......
    Last edited by Roswell52; 04-07-2008 at 05:38 AM.

mtbr member
    That sucks, an lbs that did that wouldnt stay open long

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I will stay away!!
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

Mountain Cyclist
    Oct 2007
    That stuff is all just computer generated and Ryan (or someone) looks at the discount and if its that big of a discount it just get denied. I did the same thing with a completely legit price for a set of wheels and got denied. I think the 99% acceptance claim is total BS though.

I've come to the conclusion if they have a good price on something I'd buy from them because I've had good experiences otherwise in the past, but I'll never waste my time "price smashing" again.
    Last edited by jrcxu; 04-04-2008 at 10:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Wow...that certainly sucks. You're right though...once they performed the credit card step of the process it should have been a done-deal. I guess they thought the deal they offered was too good and cancelled it.
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    If in fact this was a telephone order, you talking with a person on the other end, and the human authorized this transaction, then I would agree with you that something shady is going on. Due to the fact that a computer generated response to data input for your order was incorrect, does not make Cambria Bikes a scammer. Cambria Bikes has a very good reputation, and although this transaction was declined, for legitimate reason, they still offered free shipping in the future.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

Its got what plants crave
    declineSMASH

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have had ZERO PROBLEMS with CBO.

You obviously aren't happy though, so go order from the "other vendor" who had the item in stock at that price and you will be happy.

They didn't scam you, they aren't keeping your $$$ are they?

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by Roswell52
    Just a warning to potential Cambria customers that the PriceSmasher Feature is a TOTAL SCAM.

On 4/2/2008 I used their Price Smasher Form to try and purchase some Shimano pedals. Cambria price was $89.95 and JensonUSA price was $79.00.

Price of Shimano M647 pedal was $89.95
    Cost of shipping was $10.00
    Cambria Coupon Discount was ($49.40)
    Total was $50.55

So you asked for a $10 discount, they gave you a $50 discount on accident, then retracted it? Is that what you are saying?

You aren't out any actual money, just pissed that you didn't get some magical deal?

Placing a Price Smash and receiving a Coupon Code does not automatically guarantee a Price Smasher acceptance. CBO reviews all Price Smashers for adherence to our Terms and Conditions and reserves the right to refuse a Price Smash.

http://www.cambriabike.com/PriceSmasherTAC.htm

Oh - and for what it's worth - I call Bull Sheot on them charging your Credit Card. In my MANY positive transactions with Cambria, they have never charged my CC until the day the order ships. .

Where I was raised, you would be called a whiner.
    Last edited by forkboy; 04-04-2008 at 10:34 AM.

We get titles?
    Where I was raised, when you do a deal with me, accept my credit card payment for an agreed to amount and send me a confirmation email.....WE HAVE A BINDING CONTRACT. If I make a mistake or decide my margin is too tight...TOO BAD, I eat it and accept the deal like a man.
    You obviously don't understand American contract law. And I think you're being unreasonable. Obviously there was a mistake. You're not losing anything on the deal, you just didn't get your pedals below cost. So where's the harm?
    Quote Originally Posted by trogdor
    I think everyone who wears a helmit should carry around an old crank arm, then when you see someone without a helmit on, give them a good wack in the head. That'll teach them to flaut their helmit-less noggins out in public.

Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    Where in the world is this a scam, if they canceled the whole order when they spotted this obvious glitch in their system. You're just pissed off that this awesome deal didn't go through. Get over with it.

I must add, that I was able to price smash at CBO a price mistake at beyond bikes (price tat showed up on beyondbike's site was different than the one you got when adding to the sopping cart and I though, what the heck, let's try it out). Would I write a rant here if they found that out and denied the price smash? NO. The circumstances were different, but when a deal is too good to be true, you shouldn't be surprised if it doesn't go through.

Mountain Cyclist
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    So you asked for a $10 discount, they gave you a $50 discount on accident, then retracted it? Is that what you are saying?

You aren't out any actual money, just pissed that you didn't get some magical deal?

Placing a Price Smash and receiving a Coupon Code does not automatically guarantee a Price Smasher acceptance. CBO reviews all Price Smashers for adherence to our Terms and Conditions and reserves the right to refuse a Price Smash.

http://www.cambriabike.com/PriceSmasherTAC.htm

Oh - and for what it's worth - I call Bull Sheot on them charging your Credit Card. In my MANY positive transactions with Cambria, they have never charged my CC until the day the order ships. .

Where I was raised, you would be called a whiner.
    I agree with you guys on this. Although I was denied a Price Smash (after I entered my CC info) I knew there was a chance of it getting denied, and my CC was not charged. I didn't see a binding contract there at all. Just because they took my CC didn't make it was a transaction. If they charged it, thats a different story, but it doesn't sound like that was the case here.

I still maintain though that claiming 99% get approved it very misleading. Me, my brother and a friend of mine have all been denied legitimate price smashes ($20+). Otherwise though, Cambria is a great company and like I said I would buy from them again.

No need to whine man, welcome to the internet!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    sounds to me like they were covering their asses for a mistake they made. Someone gave you a -$50 coupon by mistake and they don't want to honor that, which is understandable. I'm sure if you get on the phone with a live rep, they will honor the smash price and you will get a fair deal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I've had pretty good experience with CBO, including using their price smash. Soooo, why did you use it? Was Jenson out or did you just want to cash in on the additional savings CBO usually try to pass on? The "we reserve the right to cancel a price smash" isn't that different from other companies verifying in-stock conditions or if it is even a legit deal. Not in-stock can cancel a deal in a second. Sure, a lot of places will still honor the deal price but they don't have to. Most also have a disclaimer for only pricing here in the USA. So if you filled out a form for, say, a UK company and got the coupon, would you still expect them to honor it? When you process the coupon for CBO, you are accepting THEIR terms to the contract. It is what it is. They made a mistake, and cancelled the order to fix it. It sounds like they just aren't honoring the mistake, not the request. Free shipping on the next order, and have a corrected offer on the pedals? It should/would still be a decent deal on the pedals even with the corrected price adjustment, and you would have a free shipping on another order. Think about it for a minute and it's still not bad.

Ride on.

Live Free or Ride!
    IMo if there's a deal somehwere....buy there. I've read threads like this far too many times. price matching is great till the site sees that it's not worth it to sell you the product at that price.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I give these guys no mercy if they do scam someone. In this case, I think it was an error and they did offer free shipping on the next order so I say it's all good.

ong
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yeah, that doesn't seem like a scam. Whenever you run across some misprint or obviously too-good-to-be-true deal on the Internet, you have a pretty high chance of having your order canceled. That's just the way it goes... If Performance had Sidi shoes listed for $1.99 a pair instead of $199, someone would pull the order before it went through. It was nice of CBO to offer free shipping, though. I've always had pretty good luck with them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have had great experiences with Cambria Bike. And they have never charged my credit card until the product shipped. Possibly call them back and discuss the issue and I will bet they will offer a great deal.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i've only had positive experiences with cambria bike, including using their price matching option. call em if you have issues rather that whining online.

TOO BAD, I eat it and accept the deal like a man.
    Somehow, I find that hard to believe
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    the 1 sale i've had with them went just as ordered. no problems whatsoever.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Possibly call them back and discuss the issue and I will bet they will offer a great deal.
    call em if you have issues rather that whining online.
    If I ran Cambria Bikes, if this clown called back, I'd be inclined to tell him to take his business elsewhere.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mhk
    beer horse
    I have CBO bookmarked because they so often have killer deals. While I've yet to be scammed, I have sometimes wondered how they can offer such low prices. One time, when executing an especially stellar transaction, I murmured to myself Whoa Dude These prices are so good it must be illegal (or something to that effect).

So. . .you might be onto something.

PS Does anyone know why I can't get on CBO's email alert list? Every time I sign up, they send me an email, I click the link to confirm, it comes back "We are sorry," and I don't get added to the list. Is it full or something, or do they simply not like my kind (which is completely understandable)?
    Yeah, well . . . that's just, you know, like . . . your opinion, man. --The Dude

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I just purchased some stuff from CBO, and had a $40 pricesmash approved on one item they had for $90. I don't see why you're complaining that they didn't honor what was obviously a mistake. You asked for 10 off and got more off. Rather than calling them and letting them know a mistake occurred you complain that they caught it...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    That is not a scam. This was a computer error and they covered themselves in the "Policies"section of their website:

LOW PRICE GUARANTEE
    CBO’s combination of selection and price are the best in the cycling industry. If you do find a nationally advertised competitor with a lower price, we will match the price if at all possible. Some closeouts are priced lower than our cost, and we may not be able to match "Come and Go" competitors who advertise but do not stock. No need to mention names, but if you’ve had any dealings with them, you know who they are.

And further under Price Smasher "terms and conditions"

"All price smashes are subject to CBO, Inc. approval. You will be contacted via email if your price smash is refused."

And Ryan L offered to correct the problem via telephone. Ball is in your court. Want the pedals from CBO? You have to initiate the phone call. Thing is, if Jenson had a better price, why not order from them?

Linoleum Knife
    I don't mean to sound like a petty whiner over such a small amount of money, but the point is, if you will treat me like that over $40, what are you going to do to me when the transaction is for $4,000? I would suggest that losing a customer for life is far more costly than eating a minor discounting mistake.

As always, BUYER BEWARE......
    Nice editing job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast