≈ > ♥

Sapim spokes source?

Where are people getting the best prices on Sapim spokes now?

It's been a few seasons since I've built up wheelsets, and my old source seems to have dried up...

R.I.P. DogFriend

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yep, placed my order for races yesterday. $0.40 per stainless spoke/nipple.

Stainless is, of course, cheaper than oxide black, but only by 5c or so. The only thing that might drive you away from danscomp is that you need to place spoke orders over the telephone, but I actually enjoyed the change of pace, and the guy I got asked the right questions to put me at ease (aka, double checking the lengths before finalizing).

I needed 4 different sized spokes, and with one extra of each size, I still came out under $35 after shipping (for two 32 spoke wheels).

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Bike hub store is pretty good

I've been ordering stuff from them for the last six months or so.

BikeHubStore.com

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Yep, placed my order for races yesterday. $0.40 per stainless spoke/nipple.

Stainless is, of course, cheaper than oxide black, but only by 5c or so. The only thing that might drive you away from danscomp is that you need to place spoke orders over the telephone, but I actually enjoyed the change of pace, and the guy I got asked the right questions to put me at ease (aka, double checking the lengths before finalizing).

I needed 4 different sized spokes, and with one extra of each size, I still came out under $35 after shipping (for two 32 spoke wheels).
    Yes, they do require that you place spoke orders over the phone, but that's likely to get all the info correct the first time (hopefully).

Now, if they would start stocking 12mm (long) nipples and the Sapim Strong spokes, they would be just about perfect.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nbwallace View Post
    I've been ordering stuff from them for the last six months or so.

BikeHubStore.com
    They have very good prices

mtbr member
    im glad i came across this thread, im looking to buy some spokes for my mtx33 and novatec build. i think i need 257 258mm spokes according to factory specs posted online. i will have to measure to be sure.

Do dans comp carry spokes in all sizes like the longer ones for mtbs?
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    15 Gravity Bullseye Monster
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I have bought 29er length spokes from them.

mtbr member
    i just ordered from then earlier. 80 sapim stainless spokes are only 29 bucks shipped. thats awesome deal.
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Several people have reported having poor quality threads coming from them on spokes that weren't stocked (eg, they rolled the threads). Take a look at what you get before building.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasong View Post
    Several people have reported having poor quality threads coming from them on spokes that weren't stocked (eg, they rolled the threads). Take a look at what you get before building.
    thanks for the advise, i definitly know what you saying, some place dont stock all the length spokes. some would stock 257 259. some stock 256 558. i dont really get why.

sometime ago i bought spokes with rolled on threads longer than stock rolled thead. that really made the wheel impossible to build for a noob like me, i ended up selling the wheelset. so i will pay extra attention this time. all i hope now is they are the same thread length. so i can count turns when tightening.
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    thanks for the advise, i definitly know what you saying, some place dont stock all the length spokes. some would stock 257 259. some stock 256 558. i dont really get why.

sometime ago i bought spokes with rolled on threads longer than stock rolled thead. that
    Especially danscomp that caters to the smaller spokes for BMX bikes, it's just a question of why maintain large inventories of things that dont sell, so you buy all long 306mm or longer blank spokes and cut/thread to length. Especially if ordering a size that sapim or others dont really sell factory threaded, youll get their rolled on threads. That could be fine or not, depending on if its dont correctly. Some odd sizes are factory originals for certain spoke makers, some do even sizes.

More threads shouldnt be an issue in building the wheel, although 10mm as you know is standard. Fewer threads or spokes that are too long will be more of a problem. You can always look inside the nipple and see as the spoke end approaches if you were using the exposed thread at the nipple as a guide for initial lacing. Theres no good reason why there would be more than 10mm - machines like Phil Woods only can thread 10mm of threads, provided that you cut the spoke length properly in the beginning and arent adding threads to a spoke that was already threaded, which would in itself be stupid and not really possible since the dies cant be guaranteed to start properly on the original thread.

mtbr member
    damn , im getting worried a lil bit. i hope the spokes i order all have nice and even length threads.
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

Ow!
    I used Sapims from Dans Comp to build five wheels, and spokes were always good. Of course, anyone can make a mistake. I still have some spokes to build one or two more wheels, but they "look" OK. Just check them out closely before the build.

mtbr member
    i just got the spokes from DANs comp, all the spokes are cut pretty neatly, threads are the same length very clean and nicely rolled on. props for them, very good quality spokes , unbeatable price.
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Dan's Comp cuts and rolls threads for anything longer than what would used for 20" or possibly cruiser wheels, but they seem to do a good job. A lot of people on RBR use Dan's Comp as well. At nearly half the cost of most other retail Sapim sources, it's a no-brainer. They might question your lengths, but that's due to them being a BMX shop.

I've ordered from Dan's Comp as well as a few other people that I know and we've all been satisfied with the spokes. Added bonus- you don't have to worry about odd or even lengths, you can get exactly what you want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dehoff View Post
    Dan's Comp cuts and rolls threads for anything longer than what would used for 20" or possibly cruiser wheels, but they seem to do a good job. A lot of people on RBR use Dan's Comp as well. At nearly half the cost of most other retail Sapim sources, it's a no-brainer. They might question your lengths, but that's due to them being a BMX shop.

I've ordered from Dan's Comp as well as a few other people that I know and we've all been satisfied with the spokes. Added bonus- you don't have to worry about odd or even lengths, you can get exactly what you want.
    i know !! its so cheap. meet all my expectations, makes me wanna order some more and build another wheelset.
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale