Results 1 to 85 of 85
  1. #1
    遅すぎ
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    338

    Santa Cruz Virtual Parking Lot Sale

    Santa Cruz Bicycles

    I'm a huge SCB fanboy, and thought I'd share this from their blog. Some really good deals, probably not as good as parking lot sales of the past, but still this is open to everyone in the states. Wish I was in the market for a LTc ($1450/1500) or they had a NomadC with an air shock (RC4 $1590). Other notables: TRc for $1500, Butcher $675, Heckler $550. Get 'em while they last!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CYCLEJCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    660
    Wish I was a few inches taller, that is a deal on a xl tallboy al frame for $900!

  3. #3
    bog
    bog is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,239
    I've been lusting after a TRc for a while but just couldn't pony up full $$ for one. Scooped one at the VPLS for $1500 and stacked on a Chameleon frame for another $350. Amazing deals with full warranty and Kashima shocks!
    Tallboy3 CC : Nomad3 CC: Highball2 CC : Stigmata2 CC

  4. #4
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,235
    wow....don't need one, but those are smokin deals....so tempting....walk away

  5. #5
    bog
    bog is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,239
    I didn't need one either but it slots in so nicely between my TallboyC and my SB-66!
    Tallboy3 CC : Nomad3 CC: Highball2 CC : Stigmata2 CC

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manpurse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    403
    Is the superlight 3.2 a 29er frame? Pardon my noobness.

  7. #7
    bog
    bog is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,239
    Definitely not. All of the models are sort of last year's so they're clearing them out for various reasons:

    * Butcher, Nickel - discontinued
    * Nomad, TRc, LTc, XCc - QR rear (now 142 rear)
    * Others likely have older decals or colors.
    Tallboy3 CC : Nomad3 CC: Highball2 CC : Stigmata2 CC

  8. #8
    bog
    bog is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,239
    - deleted - double post
    Last edited by bog; 08-15-2012 at 10:06 PM.
    Tallboy3 CC : Nomad3 CC: Highball2 CC : Stigmata2 CC

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    912
    Thanks for the heads up. Smoking deal on the Blur LTc and TRc. I picked up a TRc for a 650B conversion!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    137
    Thanks! Ordered a Heckler.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    ^ What size and which one?

    I've picked up a Heckler with a Float CTD Evolution shock in L black.

    This will be a replacement frame for the aging Kona Stinky that sees All-Mountain duties and has been overbuilt like a tank since day one.
    konahonzo

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manpurse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    403
    The tallboy is tempting, and XL would fit me. Does it use a standard threaded bottom bracket? Is the head tube tapered?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Quote Originally Posted by rossluzz View Post
    The tallboy is tempting, and XL would fit me. Does it use a standard threaded bottom bracket? Is the head tube tapered?
    Yes and yes. Go for it.
    konahonzo

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Uno View Post
    Thanks! Ordered a Heckler.
    and I ordered another one for a friend... hope there isn't a limit, haha

    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    ^ What size and which one?

    I've picked up a Heckler with a Float CTD Evolution shock in L black.

    This will be a replacement frame for the aging Kona Stinky that sees All-Mountain duties and has been overbuilt like a tank since day one.
    Medium and Small, Black and Green, respectively. Both Fox Float CTD.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xokokx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    32
    Wanted to get butcher but located outside US. Zzz

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6
    Just picked up the Tallboy Al in white. So stoked! What a deal!!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manpurse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by XNiner View Post
    Just picked up the Tallboy Al in white. So stoked! What a deal!!
    Tallboy on the way for me too. First Santa Cruz and first 29er. Funny, I think I ordered before you but black and white colors were showing out of stock so I went with the blue.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6
    I was one day away from ordering a Superlight 29er. I have been on a Niner EMD for the last year, but have really wanted a Santa Cruz for about the last 15+ years. Ever since the original Heckler!

  19. #19
    Dirt Bike Craig
    Reputation: FMX_DBC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    455
    I wish I would have waited another month before ordering my Butcher...
    Check out my photography on RedBubble http://www.redbubble.com/people/fmxdbc

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    ^ What size and which one?

    I've picked up a Heckler with a Float CTD Evolution shock in L black.
    We are out of stock on your order in Black, I am sorry. Even though you received a confirmation, there is no stock of black left..
    konahonzo

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    912
    ^ ouch. That sucks eurospek. You placed your order last night? When did you get the e-mail?

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trail_Blazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,162
    Ha ha I was just about to post this, because I had a related thread in the santa cruz forum on this topic.

    I am trying to order a Nickel medium size before they sell out totally,
    but my bank is having an issue with my card.
    I have money but no card and the website only accepts cards.
    Any ideas?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    ^ ouch. That sucks eurospek. You placed your order last night? When did you get the e-mail?
    Yup, last night.

    Email received about an hour ago.

    And I called asap in the morning around 10 am local time in Cali to confirm my order, that it went through, and that I wouldn't get stiffed without a frame cause I knew that was going to happen. The lady said to direct any VPLS questions to the email on the VPLS page and yet she's the one that wrote to me about it being out of stock.

    I have a feeling I won't be the only one without a frame, they need to update their inventory in real time.

    I was offered a raw Heckler (but I hate that finish) and was told to call immediately to confirm. I keep trying SC but no one is picking up. I'm trying to get anything but raw lol.
    konahonzo

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    38
    I think this is already dead what a bummer
    edit: maybe not, just couldn't view the bikes for a bit there.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manpurse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    403
    I had a black color Tallboy in my shopping car, after I finished the registration and was about to check out it showed out of stock and wouldn't let me order it. So I ended up with the blue, which will be fine with me.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    912
    anyone actually got a shipping notification yet? I placed my order late last night but so far my order status still shows pending

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    681
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    anyone actually got a shipping notification yet? I placed my order late last night but so far my order status still shows pending
    No shipping confirmation yet. My order is still showing pending. I am kind of expecting to receive a notice that my frame is out of stock.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    137
    My credit card was charged and got shipping notifications for both my Hecklers

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    137
    Canceled for me. Super disappointed. I already ordered a bunch of parts for it.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    So anymore cancelled orders for anyone?
    konahonzo

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Trail_Blazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,162
    I canceled my own order because I was laid off today.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manpurse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Uno View Post
    My credit card was charged and got shipping notifications for both my Hecklers
    Did you upgrade shipping to something faster like two or three day? I wonder if they processed those orders first.

    I canceled my own order because I was laid off today.
    That stinks! Good luck.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,720
    I ordered early Tuesday morning, and upgraded to 2nd day shipping, but still haven't received a shipping notice.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    6
    I ordered an XL tallboy in white on Tues AM. I checked and my order said "pending". I spoke with Santa Cruz yesterday and they said they are going through all the orders as their system was unable to update in real time. I was told that they are now in the process of going through all of the requests/ orders in order received.

    I then got a call back yesterday evening and was informed that they were out of the white TBs and was offered the blue.

    I can't complain, I am getting a TB for $995 shipped, but it seems a bit of a cluster. They are doing what they can to get people the frames they ordered, but it sounds as though once supplies are gone some will be out of luck.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manpurse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    403
    ^Thanks for the update. I ordered an XL Tallboy in blue too. It was on Tuesday morning and the only two color options left for me were blue and brown.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manpurse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    403
    Got a phone call a few minutes ago. Tallboy frame order cancelled, none left

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by rossluzz View Post
    Did you upgrade shipping to something faster like two or three day? I wonder if they processed those orders first.
    No, regular ground shipping. I live in Califorina so I would have got it with in two days anyway.

    Oh and I got them yesterday. Still haven't opened the boxes yet.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,720
    Quote Originally Posted by rossluzz View Post
    Got a phone call a few minutes ago. Tallboy frame order cancelled, none left
    I'm a little surprised they offered the Tallboys in this deal. Most of the frames offered are ones that have been discontinued (like Nickel and Butcher) or are being updated (like TRc). The TBa is pretty new, and there aren't any updates coming that I know of, unless they are planning to switch to a 142x12 rear on that model.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dhmoore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    13
    Thanks hkenshin, for the heads up on the SCB VPLS... def have to keep this on the radar...

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manpurse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    403
    P.S. My frame never shipped, I guess they ran out.

    Part 2 of the sale is going on now here: Santa Cruz Bicycles

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xokokx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    32
    what frame did u ordered ?

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: manpurse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    403
    aluminum Tallboy XL

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2
    VPLS part 2 is still running. Just picked up a BXC carbon frame for 1500. Not too shabby! Already have shipping confirmation to boot!

  44. #44
    Ow!
    Reputation: clydecrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    776
    And it is still going on. I keep checking to see if they put up a Nomadc again. Just noticed two new offerings when I checked today.

    Alum Nomad for $1000.

    And for you downhillers, V10s for $1870. If I was a DHer, I would probably snag one of those.

  45. #45
    get down!
    Reputation: appleSSeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,183
    Good deal on the highball's too
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

    visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    149
    Bought a highball tonight, great deal. Couldn't pass up 1200 savings on a carbon frame.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    305
    Does anyone know if they ever offered a Tallboy LTa?
    Thanks

  48. #48
    Ho'lier than thou
    Reputation: Katz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,706
    I ordered a Jackal frame

  49. #49
    Living the Dream
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,657

    Is the highball the carbon version?

    I think it is from the colors. I just want to be sure.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,437
    Santa Cruz Bicycles indicates the word "carbon" and the frame shows a uniform tube juncture everywhere.

    The Highball is one of the stiffest, most uncomfortable carbon frames on the market in terms of comfort. Ouch.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
    I think it is from the colors. I just want to be sure.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Quote Originally Posted by ronyc View Post
    Does anyone know if they ever offered a Tallboy LTa?
    Thanks
    Nope.
    konahonzo

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    67
    Can anyone tell me if the Hecklers are a good deal? Does the 6.1 signify anything?

  53. #53
    get down!
    Reputation: appleSSeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
    I think it is from the colors. I just want to be sure.
    Yes, they would not offer a sale on the aluminum version and charge more than MSRP.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

    visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by steammachine View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the Hecklers are a good deal? Does the 6.1 signify anything?
    If you consider that the rear shock retails for ~$300, I'd say the frame and shock for $550 is a pretty sweet deal and I bought one myself. The 6.1 just means that it is the latest incarnation of the frame.

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eurospek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,464
    Quote Originally Posted by framed View Post
    If you consider that the rear shock retails for ~$300, I'd say the frame and shock for $550 is a pretty sweet deal and I bought one myself. The 6.1 just means that it is the latest incarnation of the frame.
    Latest comes with a slacker HA and tapered headtube. The VPLS frames do not.
    konahonzo

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grandsalmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,020
    Arggg...! The Hecklers look nice, and this "appeal" is what I get for collecting wheelsets, forks, cranks, and the like. The weird reasoning... like a drug hook, but it lasts a LOT longer, even if I give the built bike away. In this case, my trusty 2005 Heckler still lives, which makes this that much more... weird.

    Help me much?


    .

  57. #57
    Living the Dream
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,657

    Do you know from experience?

    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Santa Cruz Bicycles indicates the word "carbon" and the frame shows a uniform tube juncture everywhere.

    The Highball is one of the stiffest, most uncomfortable carbon frames on the market in terms of comfort. Ouch.
    I am considering getting one for 100 mile races. Is it really that uncomfortable?
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,437
    I tested a plethora of 29er carbon HT and took the time to set them up for extended ride times. Tire selection, saddles, pressure, everything.

    I thought my Specialized Expert Evo R 29er HT was uncomfortable but it's a couch compared to the Highball. I sold that Speci for a Scott Scale which is worlds more comfortable than the Evo R. The Cannondale line of carbon 29 are super comfy and fast and efficient, too.

    My friend races Cat 1 and his team went from Giant FS to the Highball. They could not wait until the 2012 season/sponsorship was over to get off the SC. I'm not anti-SC. I own a Blur XCc 650b and love it.

    Whew, thinking of riding 100 miles on a Highball carbon even with light high volume tubeless tires, nice grips, saddle and chamois & a seatpost that may have some give is not my idea of fun.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
    I am considering getting one for 100 mile races. Is it really that uncomfortable?

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Santa Cruzing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    39
    I've just got to call BS on the post from westin above. I've had the Highball C since December last year and yes it's stiff and no it's not less comfortable than any other carbon 29er hard tail. This idea that seat stays somehow are plush vs. harsh is ridiculous. If you like riding fast, climbing more efficiently than you ever have before - do yourself a favor and throw your leg over a Highball C. At this price it's double awesome and if I didn't have too many bikes already I'd buy one just to have a SS and geared at the ready. Crazy talk from a guy who bought something else and is just trying to justify why he doesn't own the SC. Seriously, everyone who has ridden my bike drools and starts contemplating how they can get one. It will be just as comfortable or more on a 100 mile ride because you'll finish sooner! You'll only get more sore because you're riding harder than you ever have before.

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,437
    Why would you call BS? You're entitled to your opinion. I was merely stating mine. I am not trying to justify not owning a SC Highball. Why would I? The bikes tested were all highend race bikes. Not like I ended up with a Fuji aluminum 26er and am bad mouthing the Highball because I could not afford it. My input was objective all the way to the feedback from a team of Cat 1 racers on the Highball C who said, in their opinion, the bike beats them over rocky fast terrain.

    Not that a reader would put much weight on my post or yours, but here's a relatively useless review from Bike Radar (which is known to be objective in write-ups) which mentions the comfort or lack of: Santa Cruz Highball Carbon 29er - BikeRadar

    "The ride is harsher than some of Santa Cruz's rivals' latest offerings, but it also makes the Highball feel fast – something racers will undoubtedly appreciate. The stiffness takes a toll when rides surpass the two-hour mark, so the Highball wouldn't be our first choice for all-day epics. But with 'traditional’ cross-country races rarely lasting for more than an hour-and-a-half these days, the lack of comfort shouldn't be an issue for competitive types."

    In the same breath you'll find many Highball C owners who say it's not uncomfortable.

    You write "BS" an "crazy talk." Maybe you're taking the whole thread and reason of choosing a Santa Cruz a bit too seriously? How much time do you have testing a Scott Scale or Cannondale Flash carbon?

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Santa Cruzing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    39

    Clarification of westin's BS

    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    my Specialized Expert Evo R 29er HT... is a couch compared to the Highball... Scott Scale... is worlds more comfortable than the Evo R. Cannondale carbon 29 are super comfy... could not wait... to get off the SC.
    This is what I call BS. These are all HARD TAILS. This means there is no measurable travel from the rear axle to the seat - which means the degree of comfort amongst all 29er HT frames comes down to geometry, components and maybe, just maybe some vibration dampening. Your wild descriptions of comfort range attributable to frame alone are entirely BS.

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,720
    That is a great deal for that Highball C. I was eying the Sette Razzo Carbon due to the price, but for just a bit more I'd choose the Highball C. They don't have my size on sale, though, and right now I'm trying to scrape up the funds to get a 650b wheelset for the TRc that I bought through the VPLS.

  63. #63
    get down!
    Reputation: appleSSeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruzing View Post
    This is what I call BS. These are all HARD TAILS. This means there is no measurable travel from the rear axle to the seat - which means the degree of comfort amongst all 29er HT frames comes down to geometry, components and maybe, just maybe some vibration dampening. Your wild descriptions of comfort range attributable to frame alone are entirely BS.
    carbon layup, thickness, "butting" if you will all contribute to a rides comfort and is more controllable in a carbon frame I would think than an aluminum frame or any other material. Just like the newer carbon seatposts are designed to flex, some carbon frames have a bit of give built into them. I'd agree that the comfort may be marginal compared to a fullie, but can still be noticed.

    I notice that my Ti frame is more comfortable than an aluminum or even steel frame. Even just standing up through rock gardens and such.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

    visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,437
    Okay, I'm full of BS for testing many highend carbon HT and thinking the Highball C was a rough ride. So is Bike Radar. As for compliance, better tell Cannondale their SAVE stays are total BS, same with Scott and their SDS and BMC....

    From Ride Impressions: BMC TE01 29"er

    "Something that BMC had as a goal for this bike was a compliant ride, something they call TCC or Tuned Compliance Concept. The chain stays and seat stays are designed to have a quite decent amount of give. How much? Hard to say, but although a 30mm number has been tossed around, that takes into account the entire compression of the frame as it sits on a test jig so just what could be measured at the axle would be less than that, perhaps by 50%. Still and all, it is a hard tail, but BMC had a compliant ride as a strong goal for the TE01 29″er."

    "Well, yeah, it is compliant. In fact, when you factor in the made-for-this-bike 27.2mm Compliancepost seat post, then it is quite nice on chattery surfaces. Out of the saddle it will not fool you into thinking ‘FS’, but I laud the design intent to use carbon fiber as more than just a light and stiff approach and it does show through on the TE01 29″er. Jeff J was riding with me that day as well and he, being heavier than I by a good 50lbs, actually felt the bike ‘spring’ him up off the saddle a couple of times on dips and bumps. Maybe he is a rolling test jig and was getting all of that rumored 30mms of travel…not sure, but I never noticed that effect."

    And don't forget to tell Scot Nicol he's full of BS when it comes to a "hardtail" having flexibility even on road bikes..... "“I do think we’ll continue to see more and more ‘suspension’ built into road bikes, whether it’s active with links, passive with flexibility or through tyre and wheel technology. Disc brakes and suspension will be the biggest changes in the coming years.

    Whether you think the Santa Cruz frame is comfortable or not doesn't matter. You and many others love the frame. Period. It's your opinion. No BS. My opinion still stands that the Highball C being one of the most uncomfortable carbon 29er HT frames I've tested with all things being equal in terms of wheel, tire, pressure, etc., and anyone who has spent time on a Scott Scale (which I own) or Cannondale Flash (which I tested, and my friend ended up buying) would probably pass at paying even sale prices on a Highball C for an all-day race bike.
    Last edited by westin; 11-03-2012 at 09:23 AM.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: daisycutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,474
    Bought a V10 carbon for 45% off, thanks for an update.

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Okay, I'm full of BS for testing many highend carbon HT and thinking the Highball C was a rough ride. So is Bike Radar. As for compliance, better tell Cannondale their SAVE stays are total BS, same with Scott and their SDS and BMC....

    From Ride Impressions: BMC TE01 29"er

    "Something that BMC had as a goal for this bike was a compliant ride, something they call TCC or Tuned Compliance Concept. The chain stays and seat stays are designed to have a quite decent amount of give. How much? Hard to say, but although a 30mm number has been tossed around, that takes into account the entire compression of the frame as it sits on a test jig so just what could be measured at the axle would be less than that, perhaps by 50%. Still and all, it is a hard tail, but BMC had a compliant ride as a strong goal for the TE01 29″er."

    "Well, yeah, it is compliant. In fact, when you factor in the made-for-this-bike 27.2mm Compliancepost seat post, then it is quite nice on chattery surfaces. Out of the saddle it will not fool you into thinking ‘FS’, but I laud the design intent to use carbon fiber as more than just a light and stiff approach and it does show through on the TE01 29″er. Jeff J was riding with me that day as well and he, being heavier than I by a good 50lbs, actually felt the bike ‘spring’ him up off the saddle a couple of times on dips and bumps. Maybe he is a rolling test jig and was getting all of that rumored 30mms of travel…not sure, but I never noticed that effect."

    And don't forget to tell Scot Nicol he's full of BS when it comes to a "hardtail" having flexibility even on road bikes..... "“I do think we’ll continue to see more and more ‘suspension’ built into road bikes, whether it’s active with links, passive with flexibility or through tyre and wheel technology. Disc brakes and suspension will be the biggest changes in the coming years.

    Whether you think the Santa Cruz frame is comfortable or not doesn't matter. You and many others love the frame. Period. It's your opinion. No BS. My opinion still stands that the Highball C being one of the most uncomfortable carbon 29er HT frames I've tested with all things being equal in terms of wheel, tire, pressure, etc., and anyone who has spent time on a Scott Scale (which I own) or Cannondale Flash (which I tested, and my friend ended up buying) would probably pass at paying even sale prices on a Highball C for an all-day race bike.
    I could care less but you can talk about reviews all day long and this person said this and that. Here is a review that states the bike is comfortable......Santa Cruz Highball Carbon 29er Review | Mountain Bike Review where it states "The surprise is it is comfortable as well. The seatstays are thin and flattened and they meet up in a yoke that seems to smooth out the ride. This is a hardtail but it is definitely smoother than all 26er hardtails and many of the the 29er hardtails that we’ve tried. We’ve been riding a very smooth steel Niner MCR and the rear comfort of the Highball is comparable." So I feel that comfort is in the eye of the beholder and the choice of the rider, but for you to go on here and tell people the bike is uncomfortable is only your opinion and for the matter of the bike world your just another guy who rides some bikes and gives his thought on them just like a reviewer does. If you do not like the highball than post a thread about why, but this is a parking lot sale thread that is updating things about the sale not about your review on comfort.

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: daisycutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,474
    Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter View Post
    Bought a V10 carbon for 45% off, thanks for an update.
    Still pending and no charge on my CC.

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    132
    Give em a call to see what's up.

  69. #69
    bog
    bog is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,239
    Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter View Post
    Still pending and no charge on my CC.
    I wouldn't worry yet. I tends to take them 3-5 to process the purchases because this is a side gig for someone in the company.
    Tallboy3 CC : Nomad3 CC: Highball2 CC : Stigmata2 CC

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    67
    Pulled the trigger on a heckler!

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: henryl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    319
    Anyone know if the price includes shipping? If not, anyone know what they are charging for US shipment? Thanks.

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by henryl View Post
    Anyone know if the price includes shipping? If not, anyone know what they are charging for US shipment? Thanks.
    If you go through checkout it will tell you how much shipping will be, but mine was around 50 and I live in GA, so not too bad in my opinion.

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kevocastro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by henryl View Post
    Anyone know if the price includes shipping? If not, anyone know what they are charging for US shipment? Thanks.
    It does not, also if you're in California you need to pay tax

    Spent 100usd in shipping and taxes even when I'm 300miles from Santa Cruz
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation: daisycutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,474
    Quote Originally Posted by henryl View Post
    Anyone know if the price includes shipping? If not, anyone know what they are charging for US shipment? Thanks.
    Dude the prices are so low at (40%) off?. No Tax and $50.00 shipping cancel each other out. I cannot understand why more people have not pulled the trigger sooner. Soon they will be sold out and you can start paying msrp at you bike shop.

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    27
    Thanks! I've been planning a build on a SC Frame.

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    21
    FYI, I noticed Chainlove.com: Santa Cruz Bicycles Nickel w/ FOX RL - $599.99 - 56% off right now has the Santa Cruz Nickel W/FOX for $599 in a bunch of colors and sizes from XS to XL.

    10 minutes left on it.

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamAlter View Post
    FYI, I noticed Chainlove.com: Santa Cruz Bicycles Nickel w/ FOX RL - $599.99 - 56% off right now has the Santa Cruz Nickel W/FOX for $599 in a bunch of colors and sizes from XS to XL.

    10 minutes left on it.
    Good deal. FYI, the Nickle I got from SC comes with Fox RP23 Kashima. Of course, available sizes are limited.

  78. #78
    Living the Dream
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,657

    Pulled the trigger on a large highball

    Pretty stoked. Thanks for all the help.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    186

    back on?

    I see older posts on here saying the deal is dead, but I was just able to place an order on a tallboy and it's showing up on my credit card. Anyone else ordered?

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    33

    Yep still on!

    I ordered a Tallboy last Saturday and it got here on Friday!!

    Can't wait to get it built. Only waiting on a heatset.

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dnlwthrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,265
    Just ordered a Tallboy frame last night. Oh, and by the way, they're doing free ground shipping now through Nov. 26 too!

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grandsalmon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,020

    Heck or Nick?

    Quote Originally Posted by dnlwthrn View Post
    Just ordered a Tallboy frame last night. Oh, and by the way, they're doing free ground shipping now through Nov. 26 too!
    Good on ya! And thanks for the 'free ship' info!

    I have too many forks, wheelsets, decent cranks doing nothing. And many nephews and nieces, brother and sister-in-laws.
    All are trip hazards (parts and relatives), have to get them on trail.

    Only quandary: do I get the Heckler, non-taper, 26" only"

    or

    The Nickel 26" -and 27.5 wheel option, taper ?

    And if the Nickel, I think I can get Competitive Cyclist to align w the Chainlove price $600, more choices, free ship also, great warranty....

    ...thanks

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    11

    Santa Cruz Blur Frame

    I am trying to get a Santa Cruz Blur aluminum frame for my next bike build. Where would a good place to get one be? is $600 a good price, or is that a bit much for a used one?

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eclipse24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    358
    The Tallboys showed back up and with Black Friday free shipping for UPS ground, I pulled the trigger. It's going to be a fun and expensive winter finding the needed parts and building!!

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    11
    I don't think the tallboy would quite work as I need a Small or X small frame but thanks Have fun building up your frame....

    If I may ask, what components are you looking to put on yours?

    I will either snipe from my other bike or buy other parts, but I am not sure yet what I am going to get.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •