Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronyc View Post
    Does anyone know if they ever offered a Tallboy LTa?
    Thanks
    Nope.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Can anyone tell me if the Hecklers are a good deal? Does the 6.1 signify anything?

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
    I think it is from the colors. I just want to be sure.
    Yes, they would not offer a sale on the aluminum version and charge more than MSRP.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by steammachine View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the Hecklers are a good deal? Does the 6.1 signify anything?
    If you consider that the rear shock retails for ~$300, I'd say the frame and shock for $550 is a pretty sweet deal and I bought one myself. The 6.1 just means that it is the latest incarnation of the frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by framed View Post
    If you consider that the rear shock retails for ~$300, I'd say the frame and shock for $550 is a pretty sweet deal and I bought one myself. The 6.1 just means that it is the latest incarnation of the frame.
    Latest comes with a slacker HA and tapered headtube. The VPLS frames do not.

mtbr member
    Arggg...! The Hecklers look nice, and this "appeal" is what I get for collecting wheelsets, forks, cranks, and the like. The weird reasoning... like a drug hook, but it lasts a LOT longer, even if I give the built bike away. In this case, my trusty 2005 Heckler still lives, which makes this that much more... weird.

Help me much?

Living the Dream

Do you know from experience?

Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Santa Cruz Bicycles indicates the word "carbon" and the frame shows a uniform tube juncture everywhere.

The Highball is one of the stiffest, most uncomfortable carbon frames on the market in terms of comfort. Ouch.
    I am considering getting one for 100 mile races. Is it really that uncomfortable?
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I tested a plethora of 29er carbon HT and took the time to set them up for extended ride times. Tire selection, saddles, pressure, everything.

I thought my Specialized Expert Evo R 29er HT was uncomfortable but it's a couch compared to the Highball. I sold that Speci for a Scott Scale which is worlds more comfortable than the Evo R. The Cannondale line of carbon 29 are super comfy and fast and efficient, too.

My friend races Cat 1 and his team went from Giant FS to the Highball. They could not wait until the 2012 season/sponsorship was over to get off the SC. I'm not anti-SC. I own a Blur XCc 650b and love it.

Whew, thinking of riding 100 miles on a Highball carbon even with light high volume tubeless tires, nice grips, saddle and chamois & a seatpost that may have some give is not my idea of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow View Post
    I am considering getting one for 100 mile races. Is it really that uncomfortable?

mtbr member
    I've just got to call BS on the post from westin above. I've had the Highball C since December last year and yes it's stiff and no it's not less comfortable than any other carbon 29er hard tail. This idea that seat stays somehow are plush vs. harsh is ridiculous. If you like riding fast, climbing more efficiently than you ever have before - do yourself a favor and throw your leg over a Highball C. At this price it's double awesome and if I didn't have too many bikes already I'd buy one just to have a SS and geared at the ready. Crazy talk from a guy who bought something else and is just trying to justify why he doesn't own the SC. Seriously, everyone who has ridden my bike drools and starts contemplating how they can get one. It will be just as comfortable or more on a 100 mile ride because you'll finish sooner! You'll only get more sore because you're riding harder than you ever have before.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Why would you call BS? You're entitled to your opinion. I was merely stating mine. I am not trying to justify not owning a SC Highball. Why would I? The bikes tested were all highend race bikes. Not like I ended up with a Fuji aluminum 26er and am bad mouthing the Highball because I could not afford it. My input was objective all the way to the feedback from a team of Cat 1 racers on the Highball C who said, in their opinion, the bike beats them over rocky fast terrain.

Not that a reader would put much weight on my post or yours, but here's a relatively useless review from Bike Radar (which is known to be objective in write-ups) which mentions the comfort or lack of: Santa Cruz Highball Carbon 29er - BikeRadar

"The ride is harsher than some of Santa Cruz's rivals' latest offerings, but it also makes the Highball feel fast – something racers will undoubtedly appreciate. The stiffness takes a toll when rides surpass the two-hour mark, so the Highball wouldn't be our first choice for all-day epics. But with 'traditional’ cross-country races rarely lasting for more than an hour-and-a-half these days, the lack of comfort shouldn't be an issue for competitive types."

In the same breath you'll find many Highball C owners who say it's not uncomfortable.

You write "BS" an "crazy talk." Maybe you're taking the whole thread and reason of choosing a Santa Cruz a bit too seriously? How much time do you have testing a Scott Scale or Cannondale Flash carbon?

mtbr member

Clarification of westin's BS

my Specialized Expert Evo R 29er HT... is a couch compared to the Highball... Scott Scale... is worlds more comfortable than the Evo R. Cannondale carbon 29 are super comfy... could not wait... to get off the SC.
    This is what I call BS. These are all HARD TAILS. This means there is no measurable travel from the rear axle to the seat - which means the degree of comfort amongst all 29er HT frames comes down to geometry, components and maybe, just maybe some vibration dampening. Your wild descriptions of comfort range attributable to frame alone are entirely BS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    That is a great deal for that Highball C. I was eying the Sette Razzo Carbon due to the price, but for just a bit more I'd choose the Highball C. They don't have my size on sale, though, and right now I'm trying to scrape up the funds to get a 650b wheelset for the TRc that I bought through the VPLS.

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa Cruzing View Post
    This is what I call BS. These are all HARD TAILS. This means there is no measurable travel from the rear axle to the seat - which means the degree of comfort amongst all 29er HT frames comes down to geometry, components and maybe, just maybe some vibration dampening. Your wild descriptions of comfort range attributable to frame alone are entirely BS.
    carbon layup, thickness, "butting" if you will all contribute to a rides comfort and is more controllable in a carbon frame I would think than an aluminum frame or any other material. Just like the newer carbon seatposts are designed to flex, some carbon frames have a bit of give built into them. I'd agree that the comfort may be marginal compared to a fullie, but can still be noticed.

I notice that my Ti frame is more comfortable than an aluminum or even steel frame. Even just standing up through rock gardens and such.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Okay, I'm full of BS for testing many highend carbon HT and thinking the Highball C was a rough ride. So is Bike Radar. As for compliance, better tell Cannondale their SAVE stays are total BS, same with Scott and their SDS and BMC....

From Ride Impressions: BMC TE01 29"er

"Something that BMC had as a goal for this bike was a compliant ride, something they call TCC or Tuned Compliance Concept. The chain stays and seat stays are designed to have a quite decent amount of give. How much? Hard to say, but although a 30mm number has been tossed around, that takes into account the entire compression of the frame as it sits on a test jig so just what could be measured at the axle would be less than that, perhaps by 50%. Still and all, it is a hard tail, but BMC had a compliant ride as a strong goal for the TE01 29″er."

"Well, yeah, it is compliant. In fact, when you factor in the made-for-this-bike 27.2mm Compliancepost seat post, then it is quite nice on chattery surfaces. Out of the saddle it will not fool you into thinking ‘FS’, but I laud the design intent to use carbon fiber as more than just a light and stiff approach and it does show through on the TE01 29″er. Jeff J was riding with me that day as well and he, being heavier than I by a good 50lbs, actually felt the bike ‘spring’ him up off the saddle a couple of times on dips and bumps. Maybe he is a rolling test jig and was getting all of that rumored 30mms of travel…not sure, but I never noticed that effect."

And don't forget to tell Scot Nicol he's full of BS when it comes to a "hardtail" having flexibility even on road bikes..... "“I do think we’ll continue to see more and more ‘suspension’ built into road bikes, whether it’s active with links, passive with flexibility or through tyre and wheel technology. Disc brakes and suspension will be the biggest changes in the coming years.

Whether you think the Santa Cruz frame is comfortable or not doesn't matter. You and many others love the frame. Period. It's your opinion. No BS. My opinion still stands that the Highball C being one of the most uncomfortable carbon 29er HT frames I've tested with all things being equal in terms of wheel, tire, pressure, etc., and anyone who has spent time on a Scott Scale (which I own) or Cannondale Flash (which I tested, and my friend ended up buying) would probably pass at paying even sale prices on a Highball C for an all-day race bike.
    Last edited by westin; 11-03-2012 at 10:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Bought a V10 carbon for 45% off, thanks for an update.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Okay, I'm full of BS for testing many highend carbon HT and thinking the Highball C was a rough ride. So is Bike Radar. As for compliance, better tell Cannondale their SAVE stays are total BS, same with Scott and their SDS and BMC....

From Ride Impressions: BMC TE01 29"er

"Something that BMC had as a goal for this bike was a compliant ride, something they call TCC or Tuned Compliance Concept. The chain stays and seat stays are designed to have a quite decent amount of give. How much? Hard to say, but although a 30mm number has been tossed around, that takes into account the entire compression of the frame as it sits on a test jig so just what could be measured at the axle would be less than that, perhaps by 50%. Still and all, it is a hard tail, but BMC had a compliant ride as a strong goal for the TE01 29″er."

"Well, yeah, it is compliant. In fact, when you factor in the made-for-this-bike 27.2mm Compliancepost seat post, then it is quite nice on chattery surfaces. Out of the saddle it will not fool you into thinking ‘FS’, but I laud the design intent to use carbon fiber as more than just a light and stiff approach and it does show through on the TE01 29″er. Jeff J was riding with me that day as well and he, being heavier than I by a good 50lbs, actually felt the bike ‘spring’ him up off the saddle a couple of times on dips and bumps. Maybe he is a rolling test jig and was getting all of that rumored 30mms of travel…not sure, but I never noticed that effect."

And don't forget to tell Scot Nicol he's full of BS when it comes to a "hardtail" having flexibility even on road bikes..... "“I do think we’ll continue to see more and more ‘suspension’ built into road bikes, whether it’s active with links, passive with flexibility or through tyre and wheel technology. Disc brakes and suspension will be the biggest changes in the coming years.

Whether you think the Santa Cruz frame is comfortable or not doesn't matter. You and many others love the frame. Period. It's your opinion. No BS. My opinion still stands that the Highball C being one of the most uncomfortable carbon 29er HT frames I've tested with all things being equal in terms of wheel, tire, pressure, etc., and anyone who has spent time on a Scott Scale (which I own) or Cannondale Flash (which I tested, and my friend ended up buying) would probably pass at paying even sale prices on a Highball C for an all-day race bike.
    I could care less but you can talk about reviews all day long and this person said this and that. Here is a review that states the bike is comfortable......Santa Cruz Highball Carbon 29er Review | Mountain Bike Review where it states "The surprise is it is comfortable as well. The seatstays are thin and flattened and they meet up in a yoke that seems to smooth out the ride. This is a hardtail but it is definitely smoother than all 26er hardtails and many of the the 29er hardtails that we’ve tried. We’ve been riding a very smooth steel Niner MCR and the rear comfort of the Highball is comparable." So I feel that comfort is in the eye of the beholder and the choice of the rider, but for you to go on here and tell people the bike is uncomfortable is only your opinion and for the matter of the bike world your just another guy who rides some bikes and gives his thought on them just like a reviewer does. If you do not like the highball than post a thread about why, but this is a parking lot sale thread that is updating things about the sale not about your review on comfort.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter View Post
    Bought a V10 carbon for 45% off, thanks for an update.
    Still pending and no charge on my CC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Give em a call to see what's up.

bog
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter View Post
    Still pending and no charge on my CC.
    I wouldn't worry yet. I tends to take them 3-5 to process the purchases because this is a side gig for someone in the company.
    SC Tallboy C : SC Nomad 3 : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Pulled the trigger on a heckler!

mtbr member
    Anyone know if the price includes shipping? If not, anyone know what they are charging for US shipment? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by henryl View Post
    Anyone know if the price includes shipping? If not, anyone know what they are charging for US shipment? Thanks.
    If you go through checkout it will tell you how much shipping will be, but mine was around 50 and I live in GA, so not too bad in my opinion.

mtbr member
    It does not, also if you're in California you need to pay tax

Spent 100usd in shipping and taxes even when I'm 300miles from Santa Cruz
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

mtbr member
    Dude the prices are so low at (40%) off?. No Tax and $50.00 shipping cancel each other out. I cannot understand why more people have not pulled the trigger sooner. Soon they will be sold out and you can start paying msrp at you bike shop.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks! I've been planning a build on a SC Frame.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast