mtbr member
    Aug 2009

New question here. Rookie help! Best bike $600 range?

I'm a newbie and don't know where to start searching for a decent ride!
    Looking for a hardtail in the $600 - 700ish (broke college student) range. If possible something better than a Dart 3 fork.
    Had my eye on this one ($700 Tora SL) http://ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-COMP-Details.html ... but of course its out of stock.
    I'm 6' 180 so a size 20-21 frame?
    I need something that can take an absolute beating... I've broken 2 lower quality bikes on my local trail already.
    Any suggestions of would be appreciated.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    I am 6'0" with a 34" inseam and I am 172lbs (usually), I have ridden bikes generally labelled as "large" or anywhere between 18-19". I have often had people yell "Ett smash" as I ride down gnarly trails, though I am pretty smooth, I don't always take the cleanest lines.

At that price range, is there a particular reason you are looking for a new bike? In that price range, you would likely be able to scoop a $1,200-ish hardtail that someone purchased and never rode for 3 years and is looking to unload for right around what you want to spend. With a used bike, you would get decent hydraulic brakes, an XT/x.9 / Deore/x.7 littered bike, a solid frame, a reliable fork (Marzocchi / RS lower end stuff, maybe a Fox) and generally bombproof components. For the kind of bike you are looking for, any hardtail frame is pretty much equal; seems like those Trek 4300's or 6700's or whatever are all over the place for cheap. I sold an '04 Kona Caldera in pretty much mint condition for $500 (Canadian, at that) that would have been great; those deals aren't impossible to find.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Awesome. Thanks for the info. How should I go about looking for a used bike? I checked out ebay, but it seems cluttered with older stuff. Also, would it be cheaper to buy just the frame then build on it?

This Space For Rent
    Quote Originally Posted by pliskin112
    How should I go about looking for a used bike? I checked out ebay, but it seems cluttered with older stuff.
    My recent experience with eBay has shown quite a few of newer used bikes available. Sure, you'll have to sift through the old stuff and you may have to keep searching for a few weeks to find exactly what you want, but they are certainly out there. I found the bike I just purchased on eBay; it's an '09, barely used, and in excellent shape. I got it for less than 60% of the MSRP.
    -Brian

Ride it 'til it breaks
    Apr 2009
    There's classifieds on MTBR and pinkbike.com, you can check craigslist and ebay. There's really a lot out there if you are willing to wait for something good and jump on it as soon as you see it. Also rental shops are selling their demo fleets about this time of the year.

mtbr member
    gt peace or peace 9'r SS
    I have put hundreds of trail miles on mine.

mtbr member
    Forge Sawback. Better spec than a $600 bike for less $$.
    NO SHIRT
    NO SHOES
    NO DICE

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm still hunting.